GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a question if Metzelers are a good or bad tire, I will be deciding that. I just would like to know what tire pressure people have been using in this tire. The mechanic at the local shop said 38 front and 42 rear. And if I go onto Metzeler USA they have a range listed 38-42 for the front and 44-50 for the rear :shrug:. So if I can get some assistance to put my mind at rest that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I've been running 41/41...last set ran about 12k I think.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Metzeler's are constructed differently than some other brands, and respond well to higher pressures front and rear than is usual for say, Bridgestone, Dunlop, etc. Keep the pressures up on them. :yes1:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use 42/42 in ours but we are not small people.

I found the following at Metzeler's site last year:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Metzeler recommends 36 psi front and 40 psi rear for their ME 880 Marathon tire. (That's on their web site and should also be embossed on the side wall of the tire itself.)

I would suggest starting with the manufacturer's recommended pressure and adjusting as needed to compensate for the total load you put on the bike (passengers and cargo) and according to the wear pattern that developes on that tire on your bike.

-

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I only run one on the front, and run it at 41psi.

·
Registered
239 Posts
:agree: 41 for me too. I just replaced mine with over 10,000 miles on it and it had about 2-3k more to go, but I have going on a 5,400 mile trip and didn't want the hassle of changing it on the road.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I did a trip from Texas to Alaska and back with 880 on the rear with 41-42psi and it did a great job with only normal wear. With dynabeads installed its as smooth as silk!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just put a pair of Metzelers on last Friday. Love em!! 41 front and rear. I find that the bike handles way better than the Dunlops that were on it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
42lbs is NOT enough acording to metz..... At least when it comes to a warranty OR lack of ONE!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found on Metzeler's site I found a comment " Always inflate tires to the tire pressure indicated in owners manual". And that statement is followed by "However Metzeler US has found that running higher air pressures as indicated in it's fitment guide will increase customer satisfaction with it's products". There always seems to be a But!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:14,000 on the last set.
:agree: 41 for me too. I just replaced mine with over 10,000 miles on it and it had about 2-3k more to go, but I have going on a 5,400 mile trip and didn't want the hassle of changing it on the road.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I run my Metzlers at 39F/41R.I ride two-Up all the Time. :yes1:

·
Registered
74 Posts
ME 880's are the Tire

I agree with Cybergeezer, I have Dunflops on my 2010, but as I posted on another post, I had Stones on my 2002 they cupped in less than 6K Bridgestone refused to replace citing improper inflation which was not true, I put Metzler ME 880 on my 2002 and loved them, when the Duflops on my 2010 need to be relaced, it will be Metzler ME 880.

Ride Safe
Bob

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Pm me for more info but...

Just under 200,000 miles and I run bridgestone front at 42 and metzler rear at 42 to 45.

Most of my miles thus far have been 2up with trailer.

I get 12 to 15 thou on the metz depending on how I am riding and that is usually quite aggressively.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
42/42 give or take a pound or two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts