GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have to buy new tires and I'm not sure that I want to go back with the Dunlops. Does anyone have any experience with Metzelers ?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have 8000 happy miles on mine without a complaint. It looks like they could go another 8000 miles before replacement.

G

·
0 Posts
Love the Metzelers. They really grip the road and have a much better tread life then others. Other tires I would get 9-10K but on the Metzelers @10K they show very little wear. Many have gotten 15K+ miles.

I was one of the first try them when the first came out. A wobble (@ 40 mph with hands off the handlebar) was reported by a few but most had no problem. I had the wobble and Metzeler stepped up and replaced tires at no cost to me. I stilled loved em even with the wobble, just did not release the handlebars.

According to Metzeler, they have made some changes to their quality control and testing after production to insure they have no more wobble problems. I have not heard of any wobble problems with the newer tires.

When it comes to 1800 tires, I think they are the best. Now I'm sure this is like oil, but this is my opinion.

I have no affiliation with Metzeler.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of Metzelers, really like them, good on dry or wet roads, I didn't have any wobble on either set. The B'stones where ok but wear out quickly, the Dunlops aren't good on wet raods, so didn't like them at all. Next I will try a set of Avon's, I liked them on the Valk, maybe they will be good on this bike as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Maybe its just Florida

My experience is just like the first four responses. I have 8000 miles on them with no cupping and they look like they will go at least another 8000 miles. I really push them, largely on twisties and in a lot of wet weather last year; they are great.

They do have a lot of front end wobble at 35-40mph, but there is an easy solution for that....just crank up the throttle.

Red, I'm leaving this evening for Daytona Bike Week, so I will get a chance to see how they handle on those Florida roads. Is there a bend in the road that I should be looking out for? :twisted:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmmm........lessee.......that's about SEVEN compliments and only ONE dissenting vote.

Could it be that the one dissenting voter has problems other than just tires?

Attitude, maybe?

:lol:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm crying Uncle

Bad Call Uncle Harry. Red has correctly reported that he has had a bad experience with his Metzlers. For this good input, he should not be attacked. Metzler has or had stopped production due to front tire problems. I need to find out if I can buy another pair.

Although I really like the Metz, the front end does wobble, as I reported above.

My conclusion is that these 1800 beasts are hard to satisfy in the tire department. No one, has really come up with a tire that gets no complaints.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have about 6700 miles on my Metz and I really like the way they wear and hold the road, but I don't like that front end shake.

·
Chard Member
13,047 Posts
Uncle Harry said:
Hmmm........lessee.......that's about SEVEN compliments and only ONE dissenting vote.

Could it be that the one dissenting voter has problems other than just tires?

Attitude, maybe?

:lol:
You're right Harry, it could be my attitude. Maybe I expect a great tire for a great handling bike. Maybe Metzlers quit building the Marathons for the 1800 because they were too good, not because they had tons of problems with them!

In my opinion, the Stones will out handle the Metzlers. The Stones are much easier to get the bike on it's side and keep it there. The Metzlers want to cause the bike to rise in a hard corner.

uncle harry....Take a look at the bottom of my bike. I think I know what I want in a tire for my Wing!

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Hey RED, after seeing that photo, I think you need a larger tire to make the bike taller so you won't scrape going over those speed bumps ! :D

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Red....

...Tires are a "personal taste" item for sure. Everyone rides differently and the tires need to match how ones rides. Obviously, Red's tires fit him well and let him really get into the turns.

For me, I love my Metzelers and have them on both my Valk and my Wing. If I could keep nails out of my rear tires, I'd be even happier!!!! Anyone know which one avoids nails?

·
Chard Member
13,047 Posts
hedoman said:
Hey RED, after seeing that photo, I think you need a larger tire to make the bike taller so you won't scrape going over those speed bumps ! :D
Speed Bumps my ###! LOL!! :D

The Metzlers I had on for 4,000 miles would wobble from 0 up to about 50. If you removed your hands from the bars coming down from 40mph, you better be ready for some excitement! :(

I know they can't all be as bad as the set I had. If they were all that bad, there would be no repeat Metzler tire customers.

The Stones handle better/easier than the Metzlers because the Stones have the higher crown. Less tire contact with the road, the quicker it will steer. Probably the same reason the Avons made the Valkyrie handle so much better than any other tire. The Avon had a high crown so it made the Valk feel like it was running on the edge of a razorblade when you first installed them. I had trouble keeping the Valk in a straight line after installing my first set of Avons. It took me about 300 miles to get used to them. I'm hoping Avons for the 1800 will do the same thing for it.

These are just opinions and what I have been told by the tire manufacturers. Some people I know use the Metzlers and are happy enough with them. I also ride with Guys that have Metzlers and say that is the last set they ever want to see.

It's personal taste! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Red, I saw on one of the boards that the Avons were out for the 1800. Both 60 and 70 series were said to be available. The poster had installed the 70 series on his 1800 and said he loved them. :yes:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sometimes you all really lose sight of the facts.

I for one, have the Metzler's and love them. No wobble at all, I've tried to duplicate what others say they do without success.

With that said, Metzler took the tires off the market for a while to re-tool, fix their line, improve quality control, whatever. The point is, they realized they had a problem and went after it. It is hard to ask for more than that.

I have not heard many bad comments about the Bridgestones, but many of us, myself included, had real hair raising experiences in the wet on the Dunlops. To my knowledge, Dunlop has yet to address that issue. I went back to the dealer of purchase and was told that Dunlop does not see a problem with the tires and would do nothing for me. That was within 3,000 miles of new. I rode them for another 1,000 miles and put on the Metzler's after the bike came very close to dumping the wife and I off at a steady 50 mph, on a straight road. No accelleration, no lane change, no swerve, no pavement change, nada! Went back to the dealer and was again told not only no but heck no.

On my two 1500's, I only used the 791's for just at 100,000 miles, great tire. Trashed the set on the 1800 after right at 4,000 miles. I made the tech that changed out the tires, give them to me so that I could insure no one else ever rode on those death traps!

OK, I vented, I feel better!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dunlop/Metzler tires

Darryl, I went from the Stones to the Dunlops, not because I was unhappy with the handling of the Stones but because of my riding style not allowing me to get more than about 5 thousand miles before they went bald. The Dunlops are much better for wearing but when I've ridden them in the rain I've almost dumped 3 separate times. I have now ordered a new set of Metzler tires (after reading the resounding good opinions on this board) in the hopes that they will ride as well as the Stones with the mileage somewhere near the Dunlops. I also contacted the Dunlop consumer people and was blown off. After reporting the problems I had with the tires in the rain and asking Dunlop if they had plans to reconfigure the compound to make it behave more like the Elite II's did on my 1500 (I had 75K plus on the 1500) they sent me a pre printed handout on tire size and fitment. No other message and they never returned any of the 6 e-mails I sent them. Go figure...

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Dawg, is the next question about oil?

You will like the Metzs - if they don't wobble. If they do, it take a while, but HDL crew will pressure Metzler, and it will work out. My experience is I liked them. I have had two sets (one wiggled, one didn't), but they wore well, even, and long. Bike - an 01 - came with original style Bridgstones, and I wore out two set of those. They handled well, rode good, but mileage was terrible. I now have the new model Stones on, and hate em. They chase every little crack in the road, and make a steel grate bridge a real event. I hope they wear real fast, because new Metzs are in the shop just waiting.

Did not try the Lops (we are real wet here), and have not tried the Avons.

·
Registered
74 Posts
RED said "You're right Harry, it could be my attitude. Maybe I expect a great tire for a great handling bike. Maybe Metzlers quit building the Marathons for the 1800 because they were too good, not because they had tons of problems with them! "

My post is the result of seeing way too many "this sucks, that sucks, this Honda CB costs too much, etc." posts.

Perhaps a more detailed explanation of your particular set of circumstances would have been beneficial.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When one replaces the rear tire with a -70, does the wheel have to be replaced too?
On another tire thread, someone suggested that Honda designed the bike for a -70 rear tire, but went with the -60 at the last minute, and says that's why the speedo is off. Could there have been a safety issue with the -70's? Maybe no vendor offered a safe -70 tire for the Wing configuration at that time?

When I need to replace mine, I'd like to go with the -70 is why I'm asking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts