GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........Need some advice. My '02 1800 came new with Bridgestone tires, and I stayed with Bridgestone for the second set. I'm on my 3rd set of Dunlop E-3's, still have about 50% tread left on them, and I'm happy with the E-3's. I wanted to have a new set of tires in my bike shed "just incase", but I've found that the E-3's are on backorder everywhere. I'm on a backorder list for a set of Bridgestones, which are supposed to be made of an upgraded compound with "new tread design".
A company I found on the web says they have had E-3's on backorder for 2 months. They recommended the Metzeler ME880's over the E-3's, saying they've found that the ME880's stick to the road better and have longer treadlife. They do have decent prices on the Metzeler's.
I've read on this forum in the past of Metzeler having some recall issues.
..........Has anyone had experience with both the E-3's and the Metzelers?
I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks, Ride Safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Just run a search on tires on this forum. You will find 50,000 opinions, and sorting them out you may even find some claimed experiences. My tire of choice is the ME880 because of wear and wet, but thats just my choice. I am experimenting with Bridgestones right now, but no opinion yet.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm going to try Yellow Wolf's suggestion. I ordered a Bridgestone front and a Metz rear. Now, if they would just arrive

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had Metzelers on for about 5,000 miles. They stick like glue in the rain, are alot quieter than the OEMs, and after those miles, still no cupping.

The only problem so far has been a little noise in the turns, but still no where near as noisy as the OEMs.

The D250 rear was gone at 7500. So far these look as good as the day they were put on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Stobby said:
........ I'm on a backorder list for a set of Bridgestones, which are supposed to be made of an upgraded compound with "new tread design".
New Rear Stone - Does anybody know more about this?

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
twohondas said:
The 704 rear Stone is the same as it was back when it was introduced as far as I know. The 709 front was released in about '03. It's a upgrade from the OEM Stone of the '01 & '02 models.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Red said:
twohondas said:
The 704 rear Stone is the same as it was back when it was introduced as far as I know. The 709 front was released in about '03. It's a upgrade from the OEM Stone of the '01 & '02 models.
That is what I thought. Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use the Stone 709 on the front and the Metz 880 on the rear and have great tire wear as well as terrific wet and dry handling. Wouldn't change for anything. Love this combination. :lol:

Mike

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Metz 880s here; so far averaging about 17,000 miles (ft and rear) :wink:

I have tried the E2s, E3s and Stones and prefer the Metz 880s.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

For y'all Metzler 880 users, can we get a lil' more data from each of ya like 1 or 2 up, some ridin' styles and what type of pavement. I've been readin' and watchin' what y'all are sayin'.

I'm impressed how some of y'all share the data on the tech board to keep it from gettin' hosed up by the "problem children on the main board.

Thanks in advance for the data fellas, I'd like to make my next tire purchase before Christmas and the "best bang for the buck" rule is in effect at my house. :wink:

:flg:

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I got my tires and had to wait only 3 weeks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had the Metzeler 880's front and rear for over 5K miles and the only issue I've had was a nail in the rear tire. Replaced it with the same tire.

They work great for me. We do a lot, 75%, of 2 up. Country roads, city and highway. Balanced mix I would say. I do have the infamous wobble and don't care about it.

My riding style? Well with my wife on the back, safe and steady. 1 up? faster and more aggresive but not stupid.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Dave I'm not sure any of this info on tires is of any value whatsoever. The one exception being when Avon was having so much trouble with their tires separating. I'v used all of them at one time or another and have good and bad with all. The D 250s worked well with me. Long lasting, minimal cupping and held well. Of course out here I seldom see water so wet handling was not an issue. No wobble either. With the Metz I've always had good handling, good traction but always a wobble from severe to the minimal one I have now. I have not experienced the bridgestone on an 1800 so can't comment. With comments all over the place and not knowing what each individuals riding style is like info is almost worthless. Except as I said for the safety issues with the older Avons. Hopefully that has been corrected. We haven't even touched the possible mounting problems along with balancing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I ran one set of stones ( original) one set of dunlop d250 and 3 sets of Metzlers. No more Dunlops for me. Real curvy around here and the sides wore out while there was still plenty of tread left. They howled like banshees by 7500 miles and were slippery than the others. Currently have a wobble problem with the metz but wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Stones either.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Not sure I understand how this is not helpful. People giving there experience of the tires they have used. I seem to like it. Now here is my 2 cents worth. You dont have to read it if you dont find it useful to you. Lol

I have had pretty good luck with my E3's. I had to exchange 2 sets before I finally got one that was round. Since then they seem pretty good. They have around 12k on them if I remember correctly. The rear is starting to growl a little. Not to sure why the rears on my bike seem to wear out so much soone rthan my front? I would say the worst thing about my E3 experience is wet traction, very poor. I have a new set of Metzlers in the basement waiting to go on. I cant wait to see what they are like. I know Trialsman just went from E3's to the Metz and so far he likes them.

I will say this. I have never had a smoother, quiter riding tire than the original D250. As soon as they hit 10k miles they were ungodly loud, but for the first 10k they were great.

Most of my riding is one up and alot of highway. This last set has seen the most backroads of any tires I have had. I have 50k on my bike.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Toyo it might be helpful in that it might re-inforce ones decision. However, I doubt its usefulness. You have to admit that experiences shared are all over the place. no one tire gets a clean bill of health. Some write how bad the dunnies are and then someone writes how great they are. It still comes down to personal preference and now I guess availability. In my case for instance on Metz were available and that's what I bought. As the old saying goes YMMV :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
.........Has anyone had experience with both the E-3's and the Metzelers?
I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks, Ride Safe, Stobby.[/quote]

Hey Stobby,
I've done some calling around for tires today.
My local dealer has lots of Metz and zero 250s, and no Bridgs.

My last tire Metz Marathon wobbled from day one.
After 6K the front tire started getting weather cracks.

Cracks are bad enough now, I've got the bike parked till a new set of Bridgestones comes in next Friday. 851 & 704.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Toyo, guarantee you will like the Metzelers if they don't cause the wobble and when they are new, they stick good, ride good, are quite, BUT wait until you get about 10,000 miles on them and see if you still do. This has been my experience with Mets, great when new, howl so loud in the curves after 10,000 miles that I took them off after 13,000 and went to Bridgestones and they are a great tire too when new but short life or at least the back one is, the front has 16,000 on it and still going strong. Bridgestones are my choice. So what good is everyone's advice IF it is all different??? The tire debate has been going on for a long while and still is not settled as to which is best. No one material thing is best for everyone.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Well I am getting ready to leave to head to WOTS. Its a little drizzly outside. I sure wish I had my new Meyzlers on! I hope those tar snakes stay back so I can keep it between the ditches. I was not planning on going, if I would have known it I would have had them put on. I kinda got talked into it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Stobby said:
...........I've read on this forum in the past of Metzeler having some recall issues.............
I was not aware of an recalls being issued on the ME880's, and bought a set less than a week ago. The Elite III's were not available and the dealer also had Avon's in stock, but they claimed the ME880 has been one of the best touring tires they have ever sold. Had they been in it just for the money, they could have pushed the Avon tires, but gave me names of local people who swear by the Metzeler tires.

With less than 100 miles on them, they seem very good, although the bad weather this weekend precludes my attempts to "break them in". The Service Manager advised that I run the first 10-200 miles on dry roads at speeds of less than 65 MPH, then to go ahead and let 'er rip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts