GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI

I just did a 85 mile road test with these tires on my 2018, the front 888 is the correct size, the rear 888 is the 180/60/16 HL same size on the previous generation. The only difference to me was the handling, it seemed a little easier to flick it around but that may be the new tire "effect". It takes the same effort to put it on the center stand and the side stand isn't affected either, if you use a tire size calculator you will see the only real difference is width (7.87 vs 7.09)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not at all

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
According to the Metzler technical data book the permitted rim width is 5.0 to 5.5 inches. The Gold Wing is 6.0 inches.

Not sure if this could be a problem or not.

https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/technical-data-book
So what, look at the Dark Sider's using car tires not even designed for a MC let alone proper rim width without any know problems, the tech that installed it was just fine with the fit as am I. I'm not telling anyone to run out and buy this size just sharing info.

Reactions: michaelnel

·
Registered
414 Posts
Putting a tire on a rim that is slightly larger than the tire calls for is generally not a problem. When you put too wide a tire on a narrow rim you can make a mess, it really changes the contact patch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My mechanic has a 180 E4 on his 2018 Gold Wing Tour. He likes the handling better.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think I'll try a 180 next. As long as it's recommended rim size goes to 5.5" (not all 180's do). The extra half inch to 6.0" is likely OK.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If I remember correctly, a few years back a couple of Metzler tires failed in spectacular fashion on the Wing. It seems that the tires made in Brazil were suspect and not the German manufactured versions.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If I remember correctly, a few years back a couple of Metzler tires failed in spectacular fashion on the Wing. It seems that the tires made in Brazil were suspect and not the German manufactured versions.
I've used Metzler for the last 18 years on my GL1800's. no problem and I've loved them!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
My next front tire on the 2018 was going to be a 888. I know it will never be a rain groove tracker. I am tolerating the Dumb-lop primarily thanks to the front suspension design masking some of the problem. I will not put the wrong size rear tire on though. I just hope that Metzler will soon have the correct size rear to go with the front.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious. Was there any particular reason you chose the 180/60/16 HL over the 200/60R/16/79VTL (IP Code 2704000)?
I've never been a fan of wider is better, I prefer the heavier load rating of this tire (888 HL) and the Dunlop E3/4 (827 vs 992) for this reason. Since this bike is lighter then the previous model I'm sure this tire will be even better on the 2018.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is my 3rd set of 888 tires, no problem with the first two sets.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My next front tire on the 2018 was going to be a 888. I know it will never be a rain groove tracker. I am tolerating the Dumb-lop primarily thanks to the front suspension design masking some of the problem. I will not put the wrong size rear tire on though. I just hope that Metzler will soon have the correct size rear to go with the front.

Take a look at this, almost perfect

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=200-55r16-180-60r16

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My mechanic has a 180 E4 on his 2018 Gold Wing Tour. He likes the handling better.
Good to know it wasn't the new tire (effect) for me:grin2:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Here's an illustration I found showing why the bike has to lean more with a wide tire. In this exagerrated case (on the left), the bike bke has to lean 9 degrees more (56 vs 47), to achieve an effective or dynamic lean angle of 45 degrees. A flat profile wide tire would be the worst type of tire.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Everybody that runs any bike with a tire size or type other than recommended says they like the handling better...

They usually also run the tire pressure well above or well below the recommended as well.

(Cuz they all know better than the tire manfacturers and bike manufacturers.)

Just sayin...

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everybody that runs any bike with a tire size or type other than recommended says they like the handling better...

They usually also run the tire pressure well above or well below the recommended as well.

(Cuz they all know better than the tire manfacturers and bike manufacturers.)

Just sayin...

So what you think you know you don't......Just saying....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts