GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed ME880's about 16,000 miles ago. I installed the Metzlers because I was getting outstanding wear from them on my K1200LT (around 21-22K per tire). I remember the ME880s on the K-bike would cup and howl but did not seem unsafe. I sent Metzler a question about the safety of continuing to use these tires (see photos below). What I got in response was an explanation of what probably caused the situation--low tire pressure and heavy loading of the bike. Well, we've done a lot of 2-up riding and at last check I was 1 psi below Metzler's recommended 36 psi. Actually, this was 4 psi below my intended 39 psi.--caused by faulty tire pressure gauge.

So, I am unsure if the front tire center ridge that has developed is just annoying or unsafe--Metzler did not say. On the two photos you can see the ridge that has developed. There seems to be a lot of tread and the tires handle fine. So, is this an unsafe development or an annoying development?

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
I only use Metzlers. A little cupping at 16K. Most people replace both tires at 10-12K. Consider yourself lucky. They are not unsafe

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Google: motorcycle tire wear patterns

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
All my tires wear like that ... both Metzlers and Dunlops ... I think it has to do with the slightly harder, long wearing center strip ... I ride them to 20,000 or so ...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Metzler=Unsafe. Sorry to all the loyalists.

Your post sounds more annoying, and they just wear like that. I just can't trust them again.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
love the rears not front, next one is the avon. i have stones on my front and this is the second one and they are great, however this one seems to slip on the snakes for some reason.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
How do you do that?? 16K on a tire and still not worn out.

Must be the speedo is going backwards............:joke:

I would change it, but I am picky about a tire. I do not want something on my bike that looks like that and I have had a couple do that. Especially on long slab type rides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts