GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is two photos of my Metzler's ME880's after 20,030 miles, along side brand new tires. The new tires have a thread of front 6/32 and rear of 9/32. The old tires when removed had: front, 2/32 and rear 4/32. Normally I don't wait this long, but as you all know the front Metzler's were on back order. More photo's of the tires are on the same page as my new cycle lift at:
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/will2ride/Motorcycle Lift and Tires/?

S

·
0 Posts
WOW is that bike steady up there Winginhunk , and what's with that damaged rightside pipe I see ? Backing up into to many curbs ! :lol:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The damage on the right tail pipe occurred last November. When I left in the morning it was 28 degrees and I was watching the roads pretty good. That afternoon I was riding back home at 1:30 PM and it was 49 degrees and bright sunshine. As I was crossing a bridge near Purdy I noticed these strips on the pavement and immediately realized what it could be.
But at the same time the rear of the bike slide out from underneath me and down she went on the right side. I was pealed off the bike and watched it slide on down the road. Just as it was stopping the long slide the exhaust tip struck the middle physical divider causing more damage to the exhaust. Total damage to the bike was about $2,000.00. I am still in litigation with the state concerning the damage, because of improper use of liquid de-icer on the pavement in too warm of weather.
I was able to ride her home, and still able to ride it until repairs are made.
I still believe "Every day is a good day, just same days are better than others."

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Will,I remember when you posted about your slide out.Was that on that narrow bridge out of Purdy,going to the Key Peninnsula?

I have a couple of stock exhaust tips I'll make you deal on one or both if you're interested.
Email me

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the slide out was at HWY 302 & Purdy Drive NW, just after crossing the bridge. The crash bars did their job, would have been the only thing the pavement touch if it hadn't struck the curbing. I was surprised that even the mirrors were untouched.

Concerning air pressure for the Metzler's. I use rear: 41-42 lbs, and front: 39-41 lbs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do the Metzler's come in the lower profile for the rear to help correct the speedo?

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Higher profile 70 series to correct the speedo. Its the Valk tire.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Didnt you wipe out on the Metz??? Not trying to be an a** here...... I mean was there no other option? I figure (with ny zero mile Metz experience) that the Metz tread must be a stiffer tire which = less traction........ Any sense in that?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
Higher profile 70 series to correct the speedo. Its the Valk tire.
You're right! Sorry about that. I get dyslexic sometimes about profiles of tires. So the Valk tire fits on the 1800 without any problems then?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
This is a nice thread WinginHunk!

Thanks for the very good photos. Also that answers my question the other day about your bike damage.

Is it necessary to remove the rear items when the bike is on the lift, or can you drop the wheel out the bottom?

I am trying 70 series Avon Venoms and do not have the miles to know how it will hold up, nor much rain riding yet. I have about 1700 miles on the two week old tires. The sidewalls are limber on the Avons and they do not feel good when new at high speed. They are really good in the turns, and the Speedo is very much dead on as it would have been if the factory had not switched to the 60 tire. I can tell you that they get better quickly when the high crown is worn down.

Somewhere, I would think there is a stack of centerstands with the legs a little longer that they produced before changing to the 60 series, which I would guess was late on in the devgelopment.

Your tread life is very good and I would believe that compound with the rain grooving of the Dunlop elite IIs for the 1500 would be a very good solution.

It appears that you mounted the tires. If so, do you have a feeling about the relative sidewall stiffness compared to the OEM tires?.

I am sure you are thanking your luck stars that this patch of magchloride was not in a high speed curve to the right. I am really troubled by this new problem. I saw a patch of it on the way to Bandera a couple of weeks ago. The lingering gravel they used to put down was bad enough to come up on in a curve, but this stuff is really bad.

Thanks for the details and It looks like that is a very good tire.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts