GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 13k on a set of Metzlers on my 2001 Wing and have been careful to run them at the top end of the specified pressure. I am surprised to see this substantial amount of cupping on the front tire. Have others had this experience?
What's the NEW favorite tire out there?
Thanks,

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Metzeler

You are riding my favorite tire -- I love the way they handle, and the mileage on the Wing is very good (at least compared to the Valk). We'll see what folks think of the Avon once it has some miles on it after the testing is done and they get released.

As for cupping on the front tire, believe this is caused by the braking forces as the tire grips the road. If this was a straight tread, you would not get the cupping, and, of course it would not handle as well, especially on grooved pavement, etc. The rear tire generally does not cup since it has forces (accelleraton and braking) in different directions. For those that accelerate strongly and use the rear brake lightly, they will see more cupping on the rear tire also. Seems to be part of riding a big bike with tires with treads that bend to the left and right.

I love my Metz and will stick with them for now. 14k on the front, and yep, lots of cupping.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Even the old front rib tires wore unevenly, it was different but still uneven. The ribbed front tires also had some really bizarre handling when riding on grooved pavement, I'm really glad that they don't make them like they used to! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I will mostly be ditto-ing what Wingnutzzz has to say for all the same reasons.

My Dunlop 250s (that came on the 1800) saw the front cupping at 6000 miles and the rear slipping all over the place on wet pavement from day one (11/5/02). By July, I had 10,000 miles on them and they were scaring me to death, so I put on the Metzlers.

Wow, do I ever like them! I now have about 8000 miles on them (8000x94%=7500 US miles). So far, no cupping and they seem to be wearing better than the road surfaces. It will not surprize me if I get 15K out of these guys. Another neat thing about the Metzlers is the cool sound they make when you are not going straight. I call it the "twisty hum" and I like it.

For the next set (after Bike Week) will be the next size up Metzlers, so the speedo and odometer will give a more accurate measurement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts