GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the tires Hal has on sale. Now the thought just struck me... does anyone know where these tires are manufactured? If they're manufactured in Germany I may have to pay duty on them (I live in Canada). If so does anyone know what the duty will be?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Although, technically, customs can charge duty, they probably won't. My experience has been that they charge GST and PST only.

I just bought a couple sets from Hal as well. They're being shipped to upper NY state where I'll pick them up and import them myself into Canada. I've done this before and customs simply charges the taxes. If you're having your tires shipped directly to Nanaimo, UPS will charge considerable "brokerage" fees, in addition to taxes and perhaps duty as well. :cry:

Which is why I never use courier services for shipping across the border, if at all possible.

Hope this helps,
Arthur

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sunkist I'm not using UPS across the border. I avoid them like the plague because of their exorbitant brokerage fees and additional delivery fees in Canada.
There is a ferry company in Seattle(Victoria Clipper) who will accept delivery from Hal. This company will then ferry them to Victoria where I will clear them through customs and pay whatever duties and taxes are involved. I pay the ferry company $29. They call me when the tires arrive and I have to pick them up within a week.

T

·
0 Posts
If you have the supplier ship via the Postal service it will only cost you the GST. If you have them shipped by carrier up goes the costs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Crossrodes: Good deal! :) Especially considering how much it would cost you to go to Seattle to pick up the tires. (I used to live in Victoria) I pay the UPS store in Ogdensburg $5 for a similar service and it costs about $5 to cross the toll bridge across the St Lawrence river.

Titanium: I think you must live in Alberta! :) No PST? Customs has an agreement with other provinces to collect the PST. :( For various reasons that I completely agree with, Hal does not ship via USPS.

Despite these extra costs, it's still a hell of a deal to buy from Hal as compared to a local Canadian stealer. :?

Arthur

T

·
0 Posts
So considering what we pay in Canada like the tires weight in gold what would be the cost having them shipped up so we could compare costs?

S

·
0 Posts
Titanium06 , gone this route before also . Hal ships UPS so you WILL be charged approx $35 to $45 brokerage fees(maybe be more now this was a couple of years ago,I pick up all my stuff direct in the US and clear it myself) ,plus the regular shipping charge (ask HDL for that) 6% duty, 7% GST and any pst. Unfortunatly with HDL they sometimes break up their shipments without any notice to the reciever . When that happens you are looking at double the brokerage fees.
This may at least give you an idea of the costs, as a general rule I have ALWAYS found UPS into Canada a huge rip off !

T

·
0 Posts
Good info Strider, so the best way is to ride down get the rubber put on and ride back.

S

·
0 Posts
You could go that route if you know a shop down South that is willing to install for you at a decent price.

I have always brought the tires back up here and installed locally because I do my own work on the Wing .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts