GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toured the Canadian Maritime Provinces this summer (about 6K total miles) .... the last leg consisted of 700+ miles of a mix of country roads and Interstate ... speed was mostly in the low 80's (when able) ... tires looked and checked out ok on the morning before that last leg ... upon arriving home, however, the rear tire (an ME880R 180/60HR16) showed three 8 to 10 inch strips of excessive wear ... sort of equi-distant around the center of the tire ...

... one such strip actually showed steel ...

No, there was no hard braking.

... the front tire looked fine - with very little cupping ... the tires were installed as a pair last summer after picking up a nail ... total mileage on the tire was just over 10K ...

The tires were dealer installed and inflated to 42 front and 44 rear (3 lbs over Metzler’s recommendation ... :?: :?: :?:) ... dealer insisted that 44 lbs was ideal ... I ride solo and tour pulling a Zephyr trailer (tongue weight about 25 lbs) ... BTW the dealer also torqued the rear tire bolts to 100 lbs ... (I later backed the bolts off to 70 lbs ... just feels better then 80 lbs) ...

Anyone seen this wear pattern at 10K (on any tire)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm on my third set of Metzelers and have gotten close to 20K miles on each set and have never seen that kind of wear. I've not heard Metzeler recommend 44# in the rear. Their recommendation was 41 front/42 rear.

The tire looks gouged as though there were several hard stops on rough pavement with the wheels possibly locking up. The high pressure is going to result in a narrower contact patch cthus oncentrating the wear on a narrower band of the tire.

·
Registered
761 Posts
That is really strange. :shock: Looking forward to seeing what the guys here come up with.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
If that's the center of the tread I'm looking at, it looks like too much air! It actually looks like the tire was slick...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Ellary .. I too am on my 3rd set of Metzlers and have not seen this kind of wear before ... I''m getting 12K to 14K per set ... haven't gotten close of 20K yet ... I agree, 44 psi is too much for the rear ... it was the dealer that recommeded 44 psi, not Metzler ... and again, I emphasize that there was no skidding as a consequence of hard braking ... I just think that 44 psi was too much for the tire ...

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
6K rear and my front looks rough at 8K.
Metzelers are great tires. If you ride one-up and gingerly, they'll last.
If you ride 2-up and knobbish, they'll stick to the twisties and won't let you die; but you sacrifice longevity.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have Metzler's but I did experience something similar on a Dunlop on a Harley Road King. Had bike serviced at 7,500 miles and tires checked at dealer before going to Daytonna last year and tires looked good to me and to dealer tech. We specifically looked at because I had Daytonna trip coming up. I checked pressure on the morning of trip and tires were properly inflated. Should not have been any problem for approximate 600 mile round trip. I was riding two up and had full luggage bags. Howver, on way up stopped for coffee and when walking bike towards bike I saw soemthing "funny" with tire. Inspected and noticed unbeleivable wear that occured in 200 miles. It was like center protion of tire was extremely soft rubber that was just rubbing off on road. There was a material (some type of chord) protruding from the rubber. Very slowly rode to closest dealer and had replaced.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
how about taking a picture from a little farther away so we can get a better view of the tire ?

i ran one set of Bridgstones over inflated by 2 pounds, that shortened the tire life by about 3000 miles compared to the other sets of bridgestones i had wornout, won't b making that mistake again

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks cycledude .. here's a photo that better orients/illustrates the defect

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Aggressive downshifts can cause that kind of uneven wear. I typically only get about 8.5K out of Metzler rears, so I am not suprised to see this at 10K miles. If I ran mine that long, I suspect they would look the same, or worse.

I have heard of other folks who have had problems when running the Metz at higher than the recommended 42psi.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know ... the more I look at the wear pattern, the more it looks as if the tire is being stretched/pulled/separated laterally ... aggressive downshifting was definitely not a factor ... I'm putting my money back on excesive tire pressure ... and avoiding same in the future

Fred, thanks for sharing your experience re longevity ... that's helpful ...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would recheck the pressure gage used
That looks like all the wear only in the center
Perfect example of over inflation, more than 44

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
blento said:
I would recheck the pressure gage used
That looks like all the wear only in the center
Perfect example of over inflation, more than 44
Good point. Overinflation could indeed be the culprit here. I know others have had problems when running higher pressures in the Metzlers.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I had a Avon on the rear. Checked it in the morning prior to a 400 mile trip. It was NOT at the wear bars... The trip was to go down to Las Cruces and buy a new rear tire. I was pulling a loaded trailer as I was going on a trip after the new tire install.

As I left town, here come 6 or 8 guys on bikes, Some of my ol buddies, they were heading for a race near Santa Fe.... Off we went. 80-90 MPH plus.. raced each other, had a good time.

They turned North at Albuquerque and I kept on going south. About half way to Las Cruces from Albuquerque, The rear tire exploded. I was going about 80 mph and got it stopped OK... I looked at the tire and it had belts showing in the very center two or three places on the outside of the tire. A piece about 3 inches wide blew out but the tire stayed on the rim.

I think once your near the wear bars, you don't have a lot of rubber on top of the belts. Probably should go right in and replace !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The tire is just plain worn out. How about a picture showing the wear-bar.
The image below shows what the tread is like when new.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tire wear

It looks to me that the rubber was gouged out as evidenced by the tear cracks on either side of the injury. Excessive air would wear the tire smooth rather than tear the rubber out of the center. It looks like either the tire spun on a sharp object or something got cought up in the fender and tore or cut out that short piece. I've seen lots of excessive wear due to overinflation and in my opinion, that is not the case here.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Here is another picture of a worn out Metzler. But we know what caused this wear pattern - Tire pressure was 42 all the time, but tire was a 8000 mile old 70 series that has about 4000 miles of heavily loaded two up trailier pulling an high speeds (70-90 mph) in 110-120 degree heat across the southwest desert areas. For some reason, tires just don't like heat.

So, trying out a Z rated Stone.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Here's the wear pattern of my last - and I do mean "last" 70-series Metzler (rear) with ~8k miles. Some 70-80 mph, some twisties, 40-41#, no trailer towing.

I've got >9k miles on my current EIII 70 and it's got LOTS of tread and an even wear pattern. Some 70-80 (okay, 85) mph running; also a trip in California that included stretches of Hwy 1, Angeles Crest and surrounding, the Ortega Highway, and stretches of Hwy 49 (below.)

·
Registered
741 Posts
The tread was gone several thousand miles ago, along with the wear bars. Why were you still using that thing?

If you don't spin the tire, it is hard to imagine how it can be that bad at only 10,000 miles. I have 11,000 on my third Metz rear and it still has all the grooves. I got 14,000 on the other two and they still had grooves. You must have a young son who rides it when you aren't looking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts