GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 3 years, my wife and I, along with 3 other couples, have vacationed around the western U.S. and into B.C. on the bike. This year, we are having trouble finding a destination that we haven't been to that is within a 11 day riding window and leaves enough time to site see. The idea of riding into Mexico, maybe to Cabo San Lucas, came up and was shelved due to concerns about safety in today's world, and road conditions for a bike pulling a trailer as all four of us pull one. My questions are these: Have any of you made a trip into Mexico in the last few years, and if so, what was the feeling you had as far as safety, and what were the roads like? Obviously, we can't carry a gun, at least not if we want to come home any time soon. Did you feel the need, or wish you could carry? Would you go again, or recommend the trip?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Rode to Rocky Point last Nov and stayed the weekend. It was an organized ride...about 1300 bikes. Roads were good, did not feel any threat...people were friendly-the people really liked the :yw1: wing 8) . A trip down baja sounds good...have read trip articles of others who did that trip, with pretty much the same expirence I had. I am planning on going back dow next Nov....was a FUN weekend :D Just be sure you have Mexico insurance.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The following is from a post on the "other" GL1800 board on 10/25/03. I ended up exchanging several emails with this couple. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. The emails I exchanged are on a different computer than the one I'm using today. Summarizing their opinion and experience: Nothing to fear. Use wisdom. Enjoy.

"I've had a bike in the Baja almost yearly since 1984 when I made my first trip to Ensenada via the 3 Flags Classic. Between 1984 this year I've only seen driving conditions improve. What I have also found is that nothing is ever as bad as a few people are going to tell you while your still north of the border. I've got to the point of only paying attention to those that have been there and done that. While road conditions are always changing and pot holes appearing other than a few rough spots from having too many patch jobs the road is good. I've always found that the further south the better. While the roads are good there is a complete lack of shoulders and animals seem to pop out at night. With that in consideration driving at night is a very bad idea. I've never had a problem with their regular unleaded fuel but now they have premium unleaded available. Don't pass up a gas station however. The whole Mexican gas system is run by the government and I've see a couple of times when the gas truck didn't make it and the only station in town was dry. Having extra fuel to skip a town at that point makes it kind nice. Sure beats waiting for the next truck. I use my Visa for most of the major stuff but find that having some Mexican money really does make things easier at the small shops and gas stations. With pesos in hand there is no calculator conversion needed at a gas pump to confuse the issue from USD to Mexican. Just pay what is on the pump. Same story for the small stores. I don't know where you are starting from but a week in the Baja to get to Cabo would be a nice ride. In Cabo I've always stayed at the Bungalows Bed & Breakfast.
http://www.mexonline.com/bungalow.htm It is owned by a guy from San Diego and is a sweet heart of a place. Easy walk to town and the marina with the best breakfast in the world. It also happens to be about 25% of the cost of the hotels on the water. If you are there say "HI" to Steve from the crazy Canadian on the motorcycle and tell him I'll be down in the spring. One warning. Going to the Baja is like test driving a GL1800. You can't do it just once... You'll be back."

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have only been as far in as Puerto Panasco (Rocky Point) on the sea of Cortez...about 100 miles.

Everything there was fine...but I DIDN'T LIKE being stopped by the federales about 50 miles inside mexico...going and coming. It was nothing more than a shake down.

We were in an open jeep and obviously not concealing anything...but they had elderly people standing out in front of their RV's with teenage soldiers carrying automatic weapons....while others went through their RV.

We talked to some of the folks later and they told us the soldiers picked up any thing loose they wanted during their "search"...loose money, camera's etc. They didn't bother us...but I still didn't like it

Who are you going to complain to??? This appears to happen pretty often. I have been in and out of the border towns many times over the past 35 years...including half a dozen times in the last month without any problems...and I just returned from an extensive trip along the Tx/Mx border...and was stopped at least 10 times at US Border Patrol checkpoints...I didn't like that either!!!...ha! We Americans are just not used to being required to answer questions about who we are...where we've been...and where we're going !

I have a good friend who is currently spending his 34th straight winter in Todos Santos...about 50-60 miles north of Cabo San Lucas. He has ridden all over Mexico via bus and train with never a problem. He loves it down there. This month's issue of AARP magazine has a good article about retire's living in Mexico...read it if you get the chance...

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i went all the way to belieze back in 1991. had very little probelms, stayed on the main roads.

i really would not want to try that same trip today. i wouldnt trust my safety in that part of the world.

there are so many great places to go in the states, i would stay a little more on the safe side.

loren

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
When I lived in LA 5 of us (4 on wings) went to San Felipe, Baja. Had a great time. We had to buy insurance as we went over the border. You can buy it at a daily rate.
It's on Baja, at the top of the Gulf of Baja. Ive added a link to a site about the area.

No problems with federales or local population.

http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx

·
Registered
22 Posts
I keep an old trailer down in Yuma Az, drop down there several times during the winter. I find things are pretty nervous along the border, on both sides - Drug Lords are fighting for control and corruption is rampant. Last Dec just drove the short run from San Luis over to Los Algodones on the Mex side - had to go thru an Army checkpoint - they didnt bother us, but it's sorta unnerving to see a bunch of apparent 15-yr old kid soldiers carelessly waving AR16's around. I do have friends who go further down without trouble, with exception of places like Chiapas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts