GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip out west and after leaving Yuma, I wanted to visit Organ Pipe Cactus NM, but would have to backtrack to get there.

Has anyone rode the Mexican Federal Highway between San Luis and Sonoyta. It is about 150 miles and close to the border.

I thought kwthom might have ridden it, since he is from the SW, but any input would be appreciated.

I think I would need Mexican auto insurance, which would be about $25-30 for the trip. Just an experience and wanted to know some opinions. :nerd:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Umm... ok... I’ve got some thoughts: ��

I’ll be up front and say I may be wayyy off track, but have you been watching the news over the past few years? Not only is there a highly publicized drug war being waged among rival gangs along the Mexican side of the border... but also another highly publicized human-smuggling operation in that area. And you wanna take a high-dollar luxury motorcycle into that area, presumably alone...

I wouldn’t hesitate a minute about riding into Mexico with one of those commercial touring groups like Edelweiss and such. There’s safety in numbers, they know the areas to avoid, and their tours bring money into the areas & neighborhoods that need it. And the gangs know that if they mess with them... the tours will cease, and the money flow stops.

Or, if I knew some locals who either live over there, or ride over there on a regular basis... I might would consider taking a group ride with them, depending on the route.

But I’d never even consider going over there alone on a bike like a Goldwing right now. Any gang could stop me along those long stretches of empty road... rob me, steal the bike, and leave me high & dry. Even if they didn’t molest me personally just for being in “their turf”, seeing them, and potentially able to identify them and/or their location to authorities... the proceeds from selling the bike would feed them for a year. And as for the Mexican police... well, good luck expecting any protection from them.

Could you do it? Sure... and in theory, you SHOULD be able to. But all I’m saying is, consider the risk/reward component.

Organ Pipe is a nice place to visit. Been there... and even saw a few of what I assume were illegals on foot trying to remain hidden on their trek towards the interstate. Back in 2015, along with the hundreds they captured & arrested... Border Patrol used to find 3 or 4 bodies a week in the park who didn’t make it due to dehydration, injury, etc. But when I got to ****** Pass... I promptly turned the bike around, and made my way back towards civilization.

420160D6-A0F4-4CE1-AC2D-4464130F559E.jpg

132C25C0-5D15-485A-A9AA-AF576F8C1565.jpg

DD344B91-F0C7-4BEF-A261-9F967D96302B.jpg

7FD6F66F-6A6B-408A-BBA5-9588430ACAA3.jpg

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>I thought kwthom might have ridden it, since he is from the SW, but any input would be appreciated.
I go to Mexico for one reason only...

Duty-free liquor.

Take the long way around, but do it soon. Yuma will be experiencing their first 100° day about any time now - 97° just a couple days ago.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
There is a large bike rally in Puerto Penasco (rocky point) México every November. I haven’t gone yet.

I haven’t ridden my bike down there but I wouldn’t hesitate. I drive down there all the time. I’ve never ventured off of the safety corridor going down to Rocky Point.

Any travel farther into Mexico than Rocky Point that deviates from the safety corridor from the Lukeville border crossing requires a travel visa for your vehicle. All vehicles require Mexican insurance while in Mexico. If you vehicle is financed you may require permission from the lien holder.

I watch the news..... just as many people get shot here in the US as down in Mexico. They don’t have a monopoly on it.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts