GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd one, that I'm hoping some of you 'Wing electrical gurus can answer.

I have a Zumo 665, and purchased a GPS Mic Interface harness from BikeMP3 so I could use the mic to work with my phone (through the Zumo). I had previously been using a J&M Bluetooth unit that just kept giving me problems (sometimes would sync, sometimes had to be completely reset, similar issues).

So, I plugged the aux plug into the Zumo, and hooked up the harness. I had read (from BikeMP3's web site) that the harness doesn't work with all of the 665's, so I called my wife from my phone connected to Zumo, and it all worked great. Buttoned it up and was happy it worked.

I called her a couple of times as I was leaving from work, and it worked fine. Then one time, she called me when I was riding, and she couldn't hear me. I pulled over, called her back, and she heard me fine. Through testing, I figured out it didn't matter who placed, the call, but was dependent on whether or not I was moving. At about 20 mph, she gets where she can't hear me talking anymore. I hear her fine, but she can only barely hear me if I'm shouting, and definitely not well enough to hold a conversation.

This isn't wind noise, as I've tried it with the helmet completely closed. I've also tried turning off the auto-mute and other auto-adjustments on the bike, but nothing seems to help.

Any tech-guesses out there?

·
Vendor
445 Posts
This is a very common question and problem. When stopped or at a slow speed the Zumo is picking your voice up in the internal mic. Easy to see what I mean by putting your finger over the mic on the Zumo and see what happens. Garmin changed the mic input value on the 660 and 665 units. I tried a couple dozen units from both makers of these interfaces on these Zumo units and none of them worked.I know Pete tried several times to get it to work and I believe he gave up and went to the new MP 3 player with blue tooth mic input and it works very well.

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, so you're saying when I thought it was going through my headset mic, it really wasn't; that the problem BikeMP3 warned about is what is causing this. Makes sense. I'll play around with it. Looks like I might be back to the drawing board on phone integration.

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ts what I posted what was happening??
It appears to be. I stood still and called my wife. As we were talking, I covered up my helmet mike and she still heard me. I covered up the hole on the Garmin, and I got muffled. Now I'm pondering what to do. I really don't want to go back to a Bluetooth setup. I'm thinking maybe Edsets will plug into the GPS and work.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It appears to be. I stood still and called my wife. As we were talking, I covered up my helmet mike and she still heard me. I covered up the hole on the Garmin, and I got muffled. Now I'm pondering what to do. I really don't want to go back to a Bluetooth setup. I'm thinking maybe Edsets will plug into the GPS and work.

I doubt Edsets will make any difference.... I have tried all that stuff and finally went back to the old Motorola HF820.. I use all Kennedy cellset gear...

Garmin tech told me that my Nexus 4 was not on the 665 Bluetooth list of phones.... Also didn't have much luck with my Droid Razr either..... That HF 820 is really a halfway decent fix ... Can be purchased off the big "E" for dirt.... Cheers....

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
From what Ed told me ..the mic auto level on the Garmin is set too low and it undefeatable. Seems it doesn't matter what mic is used you can't blast thru it.....I also use a hard plastic cover over my mic which seems to cut down noise about 50%....Cheers

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Here is a link to Garmin devices that support bluetooth and also phones that work on Garmin bluetooth and what devices they will work on...The support links are on the right side and bottom of the page.....Does not appear to have much available for the Zumo...However, this lineup doesn't mean other combinations of phone and bluetooth wont work.... Just have to try them.. Cheers...:doorag:

http://my.garmin.com/bluetooth/phones.faces

1 - 8 of 8 Posts