GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Piaa 910 driving lights and Mic-Mutes installed on my 08 GL1800 and last night I noticed when I flick the driving lights off it somehow trigger the Mic-Mutes which cancels any road noise and the ability to talk to my passenger.
I triggered the Mic-Mutes so I could talk to my passenger and then turned the lights on and off again, I did this three times and each time I turned them off it would trip the mic-mutes.
Any idea what would cause this?
For what it's worth, both units are powered from the battery.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I have Piaa 910 driving lights and Mic-Mutes installed on my 08 GL1800 and last night I noticed when I flick the driving lights off it somehow trigger the Mic-Mutes which cancels any road noise and the ability to talk to my passenger.
I triggered the Mic-Mutes so I could talk to my passenger and then turned the lights on and off again, I did this three times and each time I turned them off it would trip the mic-mutes.
Any idea what would cause this?
For what it's worth, both units are powered from the battery.
I think that is why PIAA wants you to connect directly to the battery. That way the battery acts as a giant capacitor and absorbs jolts from the relay coil collapsing when you flip the switch off.
My guess is that when you flick off the PIAA lights, the coil in the relay is naturally collapsing (usually harmless but annoying). When that happens a rush of high voltage, low amperage power is sent back into the electrical system. Sometimes it damages switching transistors and other contacts :shrug:. The cure most companies use is to install a diode across the coil terminals at the switching relay. I believe the cathode (banded end) points toward the most positive end of the coil. That usually prevents the collapsing coil voltage from doing its havoc. The diode is small and usually less than a dollar at Radio Shack.
Read about Quenching Diodes in the first link below :idea::

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp

I will bet Waldo has a photo of the diode install on a relay in his collection as he is a sharp cookie on this type of problem and may chime in :?:.
Make any changes at your own risk as usual.
I just installed the PIAA lights myself and made some wiring changes but can't draw nice illustrations like Waldo can :lol:.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did e-mail mic-mutes and he got right back to me. This has been known to happen before and it might have something to do with a sudden load changes on the electrcal system and sometimes curred by a new battery.

When it happens I just trigger the mic-muts again.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GatorWing, I'd like to see what Waldo has on this. I've been running this Piaa's for about 7 years now and never had a problem but then again, this is the first time I've used mic-muts which I also like.
Right now, there both come off the battery. This winter I'll have things cleaned up and have stuff like mic-muts coming off a separate fuss panel.

I hope Waldo does chime in.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I did e-mail mic-mutes and he got right back to me. This has been known to happen before and it might have something to do with a sudden load changes on the electrcal system and sometimes curred by a new battery.

When it happens I just trigger the mic-muts again.
It is not the bike's battery for sure unless you have a loose battery connection or a bad mechanical ground in the system. I don't know anything about Mic-Mutes :shrug: as I have gone wireless. Does Mic-Mutes use a small battery or something :?:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not the bike's battery for sure unless you have a loose battery connection or a bad mechanical ground in the system. I don't know anything about Mic-Mutes :shrug: as I have gone wireless. Does Mic-Mutes use a small battery or something :?:
Follow this link. You'll get a good idea of what it is and how it works. Better than I can explain anyway.

The connections on my bike are good and the battery is 3 to 4 years old and is on a battery maintainer during the winter and doesn't sit more than 3 or 4 days at the most the rest of the year so I believe the battery is fine too.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Follow this link. You'll get a good idea of what it is and how it works. Better than I can explain anyway.

The connections on my bike are good and the battery is 3 to 4 years old and is on a battery maintainer during the winter and doesn't sit more than 3 or 4 days at the most the rest of the year so I believe the battery is fine too.
I don't have mic-mutes but assume you hooked up the PIAA lights with the relay close to your battery. My PIAA lights have a white wire that is supposed to get a positive signal from the headlight high beam switch (blue wire:?:) so the PIAA lights will only work with the high beams on (a law in most states for driving lights but opposite for fog lights). Even touching the white trigger wire to any positive source should trigger the relay.
Here is a test I would try if I had mic-mutes. I would connect a diode across the coil ground to the white coil trigger wire as close as possible to the PIAA relay. I would use a couple of short jumper wires soldered on the ends of the rectifier diode (one from the list of those in the link I provided from Radio Shack ). I would solder a straight (dress makers pin) pin on the other end of each wire connected to the diode leads.
I would push the pin from the stripped end of the diode through the white (positive side of the trigger) wires insulation. I would push the other pin opposite the banded end into the insulation of the black ground side of the wire feeding the coil. If I inserted the pins hitting the conductors correctly I would expect the mic-mutes problem to be gone and do a final diode install.
I have already installed the diode in my relay circuit to eliminate voltage spikes but don't have mic-mutes to observe the results.
Look at the illustration:idea: in the link showing how to install the Quenching diode where it explains "Quenching Diodes".

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

I would not hook up the diode backward as burning diodes don't smell good :nojoke:.
As always do all modifications at your own risk.
PS: if it was a Bosch relay you could simply insert the pins at the spade connections rather than having to pierce the wires insulation to hit the conductor wire.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GatorWing, thanks for the tips and the link. I won't be able to get to this for a couple of weeks or so but I do want to look into it.
I will be sending you a PM.
Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts