GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I've learned that my present design of Mic-Mutes for the 2001-2011 GL1800 does not work on the 2012 model without the OEM CB option. That is probably also true but not yet proven with the CB installed. I suspect that I'll find the same thing.

The connectivity seems to be the same for the Mic-Mutes adapters. The helmet cable pin outs and 6 pin Hitachi style connectors are the same.

I'll be meeting with a 2012 owner this weekend to try a few ideas and take a few photos.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Glad you found someone. :popcorn:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are Mic Mutes available for the 2012 yet?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Another non-upgrade on the 2012's...

No VOX, despite BMW and Harley having it for years.

I'm sure Mic-Mutes are nice, but the fact that they are needed on the best touring bike in the world is kinda' pathetic.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Morph, do you know if the 2012 still has the same high level of intercom hiss that the old models had?

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
So far we have found no real difference on the levels we have tested

·
Registered
225 Posts
Morph, do you know if the 2012 still has the same high level of intercom hiss that the old models had?
I have no measurements to provide...but I can tell you that the wind noise is similar between our 2008 Wing (now sold) and the new 2012 Wing. In our case maybe a little worse.

We have 6,000 miles on the 2012 riding two up, so a fair amount of sample. The helmets and headsets have not changed between the two bikes. I attribute the perception of "a little worse" to having an F4 +4 windshield on the 2008, and the stock windshield on the 2012...so more wind passing the windshield.

I know this is a sample size of one, so take it for what it's worth.

If Mic Mutes become available for the 2012, I will probably buy them for the new bike.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My wife and I find the 2012 much better concerning wind noise over the 2005 we had. I don't know if it's attributable to the wing, newer J&M integrated headsets, the Baker air wings or a combination of the three, but we can talk and hear clearly at highway speeds. I do miss the auto-mute though...

·
Registered
225 Posts
My wife and I find the 2012 much better concerning wind noise over the 2005 we had. I don't know if it's attributable to the wing, newer J&M integrated headsets, the Baker air wings or a combination of the three, but we can talk and hear clearly at highway speeds. I do miss the auto-mute though...
Well, we have the same bike, and Baker Hand Wings (just the top part under the mirrors, not the lowers). Can't imagine the lower portion of the Baker Air Wings would make the difference. Maybe the headsets.

What exactly is the helmet / headset combination you went with? Pros and cons og the headsets?

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts