GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing arround with the intercom on my 06 for years trying to find a way to reduce wing noise from the mikes, I tried different wind socks, ballons, tape and etc some did reduce wind noise but reduced volumes, so I had given up, just wind sock and live with the noise, well I installed a set of the mic-mutes and low and behold what a great solution took a couple hundred mile test yesterday and works perfect I got a set with the passenger push to talk button and my wife and I are both happy and amazed at how well they work, I was also happy about the simple installation, it was a breeze, so if your are bothered by wind noise this is the answer

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You can also turn On/Off with the Squelch tab. This I find better when with a group since the PTT may cut the others radio.
They were a great addition!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
If you ride with a passenger, it is one of the first accesories that must be added to a wing. I wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
GoldWing. The only high end tourer with a built in Intercom without VOX.

I am sure that Mic-Mutes are a fine product, but the fact that you actually need them on "The Best Touring Bike in the World" is kinda' pathetic.

·
Canuck
2,848 Posts
You can also turn On/Off with the Squelch tab.
Just so I am clear. Are you saying that, in addition to turning them on/off with the CB talk switch, they can also be turned on/off with the squelch tab? That would be great news, as I wonder sometimes if I'm driving others in the group crazy by pushing the CB talk switch without actually saying anything.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just so I am clear. Are you saying that, in addition to turning them on/off with the CB talk switch, they can also be turned on/off with the squelch tab?

Yep, that is correct.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
We have used mic-mutes for quite a while. They really do work great. Wind noise from mics become zero. Would not be with out them!!! Thanks Morph!!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
On a GL1800, the squelch up\down control also causes Mic-Mutes to toggle.

If you're keying the CB when you only intend to toggle Mic-Mutes (from the CB PTT switch), then you're holding the PTT switch longer than you have to. It should only require a very quick tap on the CB PTT switch. Doing so this brief doesn't allow the CB to begin to transmit.

Thanks all !

·
Canuck
2,848 Posts
Thanks jbales, RGW and Bill. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
GoldWing. The only high end tourer with a built in Intercom without VOX.

I am sure that Mic-Mutes are a fine product, but the fact that you actually need them on "The Best Touring Bike in the World" is kinda' pathetic.
I'd love to trade the VOX on my Harley Ultra for a set of mic-mutes. The mic-mutes on my Wing work great, the VOX on my Harley truely sucks.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Allen,

I'd been thinking about Mic-Mutes for the HD. Get in touch if you want to explore this and help me get through the development.

888-464-8564

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'd love to trade the VOX on my Harley Ultra for a set of mic-mutes. The mic-mutes on my Wing work great, the VOX on my Harley truely sucks.
I had an Ultra Classic. Took me a couple of days to get it right. It was fine thereafter.

Of course, my Harley was bone stock. If you have aftermarket pipes, or a low windshield, the additional noise will always want to break VOX when riding.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I had an Ultra Classic. Took me a couple of days to get it right. It was fine thereafter.

Of course, my Harley was bone stock. If you have aftermarket pipes, or a low windshield, the additional noise will always want to break VOX when riding.
I don't have experience with the HD. I hear most often that there isn't a problem with it's intercom. Most seem to say that with it's VOX, it is way better than the Wing intercom. That's why I hadn't looked into it up to this point. But then again from time to time some says otherwise. I am interested.

I've heard from Yamaha Royal Star Venture owners, that gear box whine causes havic on it's intercom. In response I developed a version of Mic-Mutes for the RSV a couple of years ago. I sell a suprising number of RSV kits even though the production numbers of that bike are no where near that of the Wing.

BTW, I still need to work thru an installation on a 2012 Wing. I had my first look at one recently, but I need to make some more test measurments. That owner returned home to Albuquerque, NM, about 1600 miles from where I am so I need a second volunteer with a 2012 nearby (Pittsburgh).

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I don't have experience with the HD. I hear most often that there isn't a problem with it's intercom. Most seem to say that with it's VOX, it is way better than the Wing intercom. That's why I hadn't looked into it up to this point. But then again from time to time some says otherwise. I am interested.

I've heard from Yamaha Royal Star Venture owners, that gear box whine causes havic on it's intercom. In response I developed a version of Mic-Mutes for the RSV a couple of years ago. I sell a suprising number of RSV kits even though the production numbers of that bike are no where near that of the Wing.

BTW, I still need to work thru an installation on a 2012 Wing. I had my first look at one recently, but I need to make some more test measurments. That owner returned home to Albuquerque, NM, about 1600 miles from where I am so I need a second volunteer with a 2012 nearby (Pittsburgh).
For those with Harley's and other cruisers, VOX can be problematic. The first thing many of them do is place a louder exhaust on them.

Fights with VOX.

Then they put on a cool looking shorty windshield, that creates more wind noise.

Fights with VOX.

I would think the Harley market would be a good target for you.

Having said all that, a standard setup Wing with an aftermarket intercom like Autocom, is VOX heaven. Spend a little time dialing it in, and you're golden.

I had a K1200LT with Autocom and it was wonderful.

VOX has been around in communications for over 50 years. The fact that we have to use PTT for a simple intercom just seems pathetic on a world class tourer.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

I left my Harley bone stock for the first 10K. From day one I would have to turn the Vox up when I slowed down, when I would speed up I would have to turn the VOX down, not little but a lot. Ten mph makes a big difference. I have a friend that has an 09 Ultra, until two months ago it was bone stock. I have ridden it quite a few times, we trade bikes sometimes when we ride. He VOX operates exactly like mine.
One of the nicer things about the Harley music and intercom system is that the passenger has complete and seperate control of the both the music and intercom volume. Unfortunetly, you lose the ability to control the music volume if you are in the intercom menu. If we are traveling a back road with a lot of little towns, I have to leave the radio in intercom so I can constantly turn the VOX up and down. 35 mph and the VOX won't key off, so I turn it up about eight notches, 55 mph and the VOX stays on constantly, so I turn it down eight notchs. Over and over.
We like to look at old houses as we wander through small town America. When we are on the Wing and come into a small town, one of us will turn the mikes on and they will stay on. When we leave that town, one of us will turn the mikes off, all with just the tap of a botten, without even having to take our eyes off the road. I would rather have that control on the Harley, instead of constantly having to look down while I run the VOX up or down and having my wife having to ask why her music volume isn't working, again.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've recently started riding with my son and yes, the noise from the mics with the intercom on is a pain...with mic mutes installed, do you have to push some switch to talk to each other ??...ride safe...

Scott

1 - 20 of 25 Posts