inside the boat - can't bring myself to put poison down - nothing
should end that way - not even a mouse

..anyways, hope to have a few more weeks of riding till the end
of the season

regards.....Ken C.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have stored both boats and motorcycles with good luck. Maybe it will not work this year but I always cover them and put pie pans of moth balls under the tarps. I have never had any trace of mice or rats in any of my bikes or boats. Just an idea...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5Ross said:
I have stored both boats and motorcycles with good luck. Maybe it will not work this year but I always cover them and put pie pans of moth balls under the tarps. I have never had any trace of mice or rats in any of my bikes or boats. Just an idea...

Ross: nice to hear from you - I've often heard about moth balls
but really thought they were only for closets and moths

..if you've used them for the bike and other things, well then
that's good enough for me - about 4 tin plates under the wing
and several under and in the boat should do it!

thanks....Ken

·
Registered
582 Posts
Place BOUNCE dryer sheets in and around the item - they will keep mice away...

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
and your bike will be free from static cling too :D Fortunately we don't store bikes out here. :D

W

·
0 Posts
Ken C. said:
I'll be placing a 1/2 dozen or so of mouse traps
underneath, around, velcro stuck to the side of the wing and
inside the boat - can't bring myself to put poison down - nothing
should end that way - not even a mouse
Sooooo Ken,
you'll trap mice and make them roll around locked in the trap which don't kill them instantly and will suffer, but no poison........uhmmmmmm

·
Registered
160 Posts
Buy a couple of the electronic mouse alarms that you can buy at one of the Big Box stores.

Had a mouse problem two yrs ago. Bought the electronic things that plug in the electiric outlet and that was that!

W

·
0 Posts
Fooddum01 said:
Buy a couple of the electronic mouse alarms that you can buy at one of the Big Box stores.

Had a mouse problem two yrs ago. Bought the electronic things that plug in the electiric outlet and that was that!
I always wondered how will those electronic traps worked, maybe I'll try one.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ken,

My winter is looking pretty calm. I could sit in your shed with a 12 pack of Corona and a 22 cal single shot....LOL

Dawg

Use the Moth balls/flakes. Less messy

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I tried the electronic anti-mouse device with no success. Maybe my Indiana field mice are hard of hearing. :?

R

·
0 Posts
I had a problem till i cleaned up my storage area completely.Rodents need three things.Food,water,bedding.If you take them all away,the problem is greatly minimized.I used to feed the birds in my yard till i realized i was also feeding the mice.If you store a pair of gardening gloves or even a ball of string where they can get at it,they'll use it.Everything goes in margarine containers now.Basically,if your garage looks like a "rats nest" it will be! Mousetraps baited with peanut butter get the rest.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dryer sheets work really good or pieces of cedar (you can buy them in most stores to but in a closet or a dresser draw)

·
Registered
58 Posts
goldwingnut said:
Place BOUNCE dryer sheets in and around the item - they will keep mice away...
Believe it or not, this works extremely well. I have done this with my boat for the last three years, it's stored outside under a shelter, and have never had a problem with the little critters. I just spread an entire box of dryer sheets throughout the inside of the boat, and in all the storage compartments.

·
Registered
484 Posts
We have a cabin in the woods with lots of mice and chipmunks. ALL items we have used work until the rodents figure out that their is no threat then they make a nest and your boat, bike, home, etc. gets messed up. The ONLY thing that has worked is clean it up, put everything in plastic storage bins aka giant ass tupperware :wink: and traps with peanut butter. Any hint of food from the past or places the lil bastards can store food, you will be in trouble. Dryer sheets, moth balls, fox urine, lights, strobes, sounds etc. work but only temporarily. Again, the animal will figure out no threat, and do what it needs to do to survive. Oh ya, we have a late 80's starcraft with the white styrofoam walls also. Even though the boat is fully covered, there are still small holes back by the motor/transom that allows the little buggers to get in. Best bet we do is check on things during the winter, change the traps - dead animals, and keep up the fight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Buy a cheap food processor or use your wifes, just make sure you clean it really well. Grind up moth balls and sprinkle them around the outside wall of your garage or storage area. The bad thing is wherever there is a door you cant sprinkle there. I have done this for several years, and not had any problems with rodents.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Mice like to chew up the air cleaners on the 1800. When I had my frame recall done I had them replace the air cleaner and it was chewed up from mice getting up to it. I don't have any mice in my garage and I think it happened at the dealership before I bought it. They said that they have seen that happen before. When I store my pontoon boat they put moth balls in it to keep the mice out so-far it works.But it smells like moth balls for about a week after I get it out of storage in the spring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts