GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, got into my '02 with 21k to change air filter for the first time and discovered mice had been living on top of the paper element...and unfortunately, had chewed the paper element up quite a bit. :x I'm glad Honda filter has a metal screen on the bottom at least. Two questions:

1. Has anybody tried cutting pieces of hardware cloth and stuffing into the air intakes to keep these critters out?? Any reason why this would not be a good idea to do??

2. As I said, this is the first time I have tackled this job (what a pain in the a**). Since the ECM was completely "unplugged", when I get it all together again, do I follow same start-up procedure as with battery disconnect - start and let idel without touching for ??? minutes??

Greyhound

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hardware cloth should work just fine to keep the critters out.

Let the bike idle for a couple of minutes without touching the throttle after disconnecting the battery.

:yw1:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It has been posted to let the bike idle for 15 minutes, and to NOT touch the throttle.

·
Registered
249 Posts
hi
been there-done that-bought the t-shirt
here is what i found a couple years ago.

after i replaced the filter i screened in the end of the snorkles. if you are interested i could write a few hints of what i did.

geek

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
geek,
I would be interested in how you handled the screening of the snorkles. TIA. Did your bike even run with that mess on the air filter??? Did they also chew holes in the filter paper as they did mine?

Greyhound

·
Registered
249 Posts
greyhound said:
geek,
I would be interested in how you handled the screening of the snorkles. TIA. Did your bike even run with that mess on the air filter??? Did they also chew holes in the filter paper as they did mine?

Greyhound
yes, the little critters chewed up the paper in the element and also brought in some accorns and parts of a roll of paper towel that i had in the garage.

the bike still ran. if not for the screen on the element it would have been far worse.

geek

·
Registered
249 Posts
screening in the air intake
here is what i did, your milage may vary.

-take out the snorkels
-find some wire mesh. i used a piece of 1/4” screen that i had left over from a duck house project. i figured if the holes in the screen were too small it would act as a filter and possibly get clogged up with cotton wood fluff or fish flies.
-lay the mesh on a flat surface and place the front end of the snorkel (opposite end from the air filter) on top of the mesh.
-trace the outline of the snorkel end onto the mesh with a sharpie.
-cut around the outline with a snips just a little bit smaller than the outline. i wanted this to fit inside the snorkel so there were no exposed sharp edges.
-check the fit
-find a piece of stout string. i used a piece of braided snap line like is used for masonry or concrete work
-tie the string to the middle of your screen.
-feed the free end of the string though the snorkel so it comes out the other end.
-tie the free end of the string to a screwdriver. pull the string tight so the screen will be held in place and even pulls it concave a bit, kind of dished in.
-mix up some epoxy or goop or something similar.
-with a popsicle stick, apply a bead of glue all around the inside edge on the snorkel opening, making sure that there is glue on both the plastic and the screen
-let it cure.

good luck
geek :)

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Not just air cleaners

I do not mean to change the topic, only add to it with this thread;

I build automatic transmissions for a living, so I have a large tool box at work. The tool box is a Sears Professional unit, 46 inch wide with matching top box on the lower tool cart.

In the very bottom drawer I keep some small bags of chips & other junk food munchies :)

I came to work one morning and a mouse had been in the drawer munching on my chips! There are several holes in the bottom of the box where he got in. I have since plugged every hole on the bottom of the box.

I keep the junk food in the top box now.... the nerve, eating my junk food!

;)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks geek; sounds like a good plan. Think I'll try it out tomorrow.

Greyhound

·
Registered
1 Posts
mice fix

I had the same problem with the mice on mine and from the old filter I popped the plastic rivets that held the wire mesh on the old filter, there is two different meshes, I used the finer one. I cut it in half and used each piece to mold it around the intake tubes, works great and plenty of air gets through.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts