GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been vary happy with the performance of the Michelin Alpn since I installed it 14,000 miles ago. I have had the opportunity to ride in most every condition with this tire. 6 inches of a mud slide outside Yellowstone, Thunder storm down pours, So. Cal mountain twisties, Tar snakes, dirt roads, sand spots, desert heat, slush and hail on the road.....
Also, I will add that I was and am a huge sceptic when it comes to getting away from factory origional anything. But open minded enough to try new things when the evidence looks good. So I was surprised how I actually liked the Michelin when I finally gave one a try.

Well this past Friday, we went on a ride to Death Valley from the cost. For those of you that know the area, there is a corridor of HWY 395 near Lone Pine Calif that can get windy. This past Friday however it was extremly severe. We had to pull over twice and wait out the winds for several hours. At least 3 Semi trucks blew over. We saw 2 motorhomes on their sides and off the road and one boat became an airplane. I have no idea what the actual wind speeds were. No news reports bothered to report that detail, but it was most definetly the strongest wind conditions I have ever experienced in-on any vehicle!

So this is just what I had not yet experienced with a CT. I needed to ride into something like this in order to see how the CT would perform under severe cross wind conditions!!! It wasn't fun but I can honestly say that I have no bad things to say about that Michelin Run flat tire performance. We had 2 other Wings in the group who had the origional MT's on them. The Wing following me said he thought I was holding the line better than him. But we have to understand that different riders skills and techniques make a huge difference here. So I won't make a tire judgement from his comment.
What I was looking for is some adverse control or feel in high winds. I run 35 psi in the Michelin and I have to honestly say that I have no issue or feeling of wishing I had the MC tire on it instead in these cross wind conditions. And I was really looking for an excuse. My speed was 60 mph or faster, and I could have picked up a dime... I was so close to the ground in those side blasts. I don't recall scraping anything, but I was probably praying too hard to hear something like that!

Bottom line is... I have yet to find a reason to remove the Michelin and go back to a MC tire. I still have one mounted on my spare wheel. I haveswitched to it from time to time for comparison, but my experience still holds my opinion that the Ct with it's added run-flat safety feature is still my choice.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
:agree: Nice write up and Thanks for your input! Enjoy the ride and safety!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have been vary happy with the performance of the Michelin Alpn since I installed it 14,000 miles ago. I have had the opportunity to ride in most every condition with this tire. 6 inches of a mud slide outside Yellowstone, Thunder storm down pours, So. Cal mountain twisties, Tar snakes, dirt roads, sand spots, desert heat, slush and hail on the road.....
Also, I will add that I was and am a huge sceptic when it comes to getting away from factory origional anything. But open minded enough to try new things when the evidence looks good. So I was surprised how I actually liked the Michelin when I finally gave one a try.

Well this past Friday, we went on a ride to Death Valley from the cost. For those of you that know the area, there is a corridor of HWY 395 near Lone Pine Calif that can get windy. This past Friday however it was extremly severe. We had to pull over twice and wait out the winds for several hours. At least 3 Semi trucks blew over. We saw 2 motorhomes on their sides and off the road and one boat became an airplane. I have no idea what the actual wind speeds were. No news reports bothered to report that detail, but it was most definetly the strongest wind conditions I have ever experienced in-on any vehicle!

So this is just what I had not yet experienced with a CT. I needed to ride into something like this in order to see how the CT would perform under severe cross wind conditions!!! It wasn't fun but I can honestly say that I have no bad things to say about that Michelin Run flat tire performance. We had 2 other Wings in the group who had the origional MT's on them. The Wing following me said he thought I was holding the line better than him. But we have to understand that different riders skills and techniques make a huge difference here. So I won't make a tire judgement from his comment.
What I was looking for is some adverse control or feel in high winds. I run 35 psi in the Michelin and I have to honestly say that I have no issue or feeling of wishing I had the MC tire on it instead in these cross wind conditions. And I was really looking for an excuse. My speed was 60 mph or faster, and I could have picked up a dime... I was so close to the ground in those side blasts. I don't recall scraping anything, but I was probably praying too hard to hear something like that!

Bottom line is... I have yet to find a reason to remove the Michelin and go back to a MC tire. I still have one mounted on my spare wheel. I haveit from time to time for comparison, but my experience still holds my opinion that the Ct with it's added run-flat safety feature is still my choice.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Corventure Dave
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I haven't ridden in that severe of crosswinds, but I have had my share of pucker moments in them. I will try my best to describe what I felt with a CT vs a MT. With a MT, the wind seemed to move the bike sideways, such that the tires were sliding sideways with the wind. The bike stayed "generally" upright, but that didn't exactly make me feel secure. With a CT, it didn't seem like the tires slid sideways; however, since they didn't slide, it felt like the bike wanted to lean away from the wind more. It definitely was a weird feeling the first time I felt it, but like anything else, once you know what to expect you can handle the situation. Personally, I don't like heavy crosswinds in any situation.

Nice write-up, BTW.

·
Registered
401 Posts
yep, that is what I feel

I haven't ridden in that severe of crosswinds, but I have had my share of pucker moments in them. I will try my best to describe what I felt with a CT vs a MT. With a MT, the wind seemed to move the bike sideways, such that the tires were sliding sideways with the wind. The bike stayed "generally" upright, but that didn't exactly make me feel secure. With a CT, it didn't seem like the tires slid sideways; however, since they didn't slide, it felt like the bike wanted to lean away from the wind more. It definitely was a weird feeling the first time I felt it, but like anything else, once you know what to expect you can handle the situation. Personally, I don't like heavy crosswinds in any situation.

Nice write-up, BTW.
In the wind is very different, but for me easier to control the bike. I have ridden in severe cross winds 60 mph+ gusts. While not fun the CT seems to hold the line better and seems, to me at least, easier to compensate for the wind.

Nice writeup Dave.
...gene

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
In the wind is very different, but for me easier to control the bike. I have ridden in severe cross winds 60 mph+ gusts. While not fun the CT seems to hold the line better and seems, to me at least, easier to compensate for the wind.

Nice writeup Dave.
...gene
%100 agree . Wife and I rode through Nebraska on way to Vegas last summer with high cross winds , there is no way I would have done that on ya bike tire. Early last spring I brought a friends bike back for NM and ran into bad storm . I shut I'd down for the nite as his bike tire kept loosing traction .:nojoke:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Interesting report, I have ridden south of Bishop on my ST1100 with massive cross winds but not quite the monster wind you had. I did notice some small sand blasting on the front fairing after that ride. Come to think of it that was the strongest wind I have ridden in, Uffda what a day.
I'm not sure a ct helps anymore than a mc tire as the wind can be subject to changing conditions however the Wing is the most planted bike I have ridden in any weather.
I did ride across Wyoming last October with wind warnings up of gusts 55+. It blew all day, my Alpin at 30 psi and the Wing loaded up for a trip stuck to the road just fine. My biggest problem came from being at a stoplight in Casper where the gusts were hitting me from all angles. The bike felt like a sail while stopped.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
It don't get no better than that!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Test

Thanks for a very good report. I'll be looking forward to another report as you put on the miles. I'm also very happy with the Michelin Alpin. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts