GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 Kumo's ( total 42 k) and last week installed a Michelin PA-- No reason to change brands just did: So far I like the PA better but will wait for milage. The BIG difference is the PA doesn't track with the road humps. If hope I decribe it correctly. My Kumo's always wanted to ride the humps down to the lowest point. My 2 cents. Roger

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I had 2 Kumo's ( total 42 k) and last week installed a Michelin PA-- No reason to change brands just did: So far I like the PA better but will wait for milage. The BIG difference is the PA doesn't track with the road humps. If hope I decribe it correctly. My Kumo's always wanted to ride the humps down to the lowest point. My 2 cents. Roger
Are you running same pressure as you did in the Kumho's ?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I like mine too! Congrats on the new tire! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: and enjoy you're new shoe!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Michelin Alpin...Best CT out there in my book! Ive got over 5,600 miles and it looks like new still.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I installed a Michelin Alpin PA3 last march, I have about 18000 km (11300 mi) on the tire now. I measured the tread depth and it is now 5.7/32 to the wear bars or 7.4/32 to the bottom of the tread. If the tire started with 11/32 to the bottom, the tire is at about 1/3 of its tread life. This gives the tire a projected life of about 50K km (30K mi )
These are the results from my riding style, on a variety of roads, usually no more than 20% over the speed limit, including solo, 2 up, and pulling a trailer.
I also did a gas mileage check on a 2500 km (1500 mi)trip around northern Ontario last week. the average was 5.502 L/100km (42.7 mi/gal). Riding solo.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dang i need to get to riding more . Need to wear my kumho out so I can try out this tire too . Work sure does interfer with fun :-(

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Just curious and to lazy to do a search. Is the PA a runflat?

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Just curious and to lazy to do a search. Is the PA a runflat?
Goldwing Kevin should have one on this week by the way George :thumbup:

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Is he coming to the Dells ride?

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
I am almost ready to try the CT thing and this came at the right time. I just called the tire shop to see what they cost. He has to call me back. Can anyone tell me about what to expect to pay for the tire?
Also do I need to make any modifications to put this tire on my 04, 1800? Any info would be great.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I am almost ready to try the CT thing and this came at the right time. I just called the tire shop to see what they cost. He has to call me back. Can anyone tell me about what to expect to pay for the tire?
Also do I need to make any modifications to put this tire on my 04, 1800? Any info would be great.

I just put a new Kumho ECSTA (KU31) run-flat on tonight. It cost $176.65 delivered to my door. You can get a tire cheaper than that, but I happen to really like this particular tire.

Edit: Feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you find the kind of tire you are looking for.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I just put a new Kumho ECSTA (KU31) run-flat on tonight. It cost $176.65 delivered to my door. You can get a tire cheaper than that, but I happen to really like this particular tire.

Edit: Feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you find the kind of tire you are looking for.
Thank you Richard. I had heard of the kumo before but the people on this thread were pretty happy with the Michelin alpin. It is hard to know which is best. I live in the mountains so I get alot of turns getting out of here. I would just like a good all around tire. I BT normally will cost about 199 or so and I can get about 12-13000 on it. So if I pay the same price for a car tire and get double the miles that is good I think. As long as there are no handeling problems to counter act.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thank you Richard. I had heard of the kumo before but the people on this thread were pretty happy with the Michelin alpin. It is hard to know which is best. I live in the mountains so I get alot of turns getting out of here. I would just like a good all around tire. I BT normally will cost about 199 or so and I can get about 12-13000 on it. So if I pay the same price for a car tire and get double the miles that is good I think. As long as there are no handeling problems to counter act.
The Michelin has been getting a lot pf praise and came recommended by trialsman. I am sure it is a great tire, and it too is a run-flat.

I would say that as a general class of tires, the non run-flats come the closest to handling like a MT. The non run-flat CTs are generally lower in weight (some lighter than MTs) and many are cheaper than a run-flat, but you give up the extra security of the run-flat. That is strictly a personal choice.

Other tires that I have seen a lot of good comments on are:
Pirelli [email protected] RF
Falken XE-912 NRF
Goodyear Triple Tread (but it doesn't come in 195/55-16)
There are some good Dunlops but they have so many models similar in naming convention I haven't taken the time to sort it out.

The mileage you get out of any of the tires will depend on your right wrist and your riding style. Mileage will also depend on how religiously you check you tread depth and tire pressure. Just keep in mind that some folks get no more mileage with a CT than with a MT...it is just the way they ride. A general rule of thumb I have seen on here several times is that most people get 25% or more mileage out of a CT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts