GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michelin pilot active 130/70-18.

For the ones that have this tire on your trike. Do you run it in reverse or forward?? And why?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Reversed and have avg. 26,000 on each of the tires I have used / Bias Ply Rear tire on my trike....

My riding buddy also uses the MPA but he runs his Reversed on his Bike with very close to the same mileage....

We both run them at 40 - 42 # depending on outside temp here in Texas....

Just a note of interest he also runs a Bias Ply MPA on the Rear / they are sport bike tires with stiffer sidewalls and are more stable than Radials... he averages 18,000 on the Rear as he rides with cruise a lot... would get more miles on our bumpy Texas roads if he use the throttle more.... proven fact.... cruise holds your speed and on a bump that tire looses slight grip so slips using rubber, your hand attached to your mind, tells you to ride over the bump smooth so you do almost coast... your mind is saving rubber by doing this.

Just FYI - you read a lot you learn a lot... I have never had a problem in the wet either direction as Bias Ply doesn't try to roll on its side..... But that's what I do..... and it works!!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have run the MPA and currently use the BT45. Have run both brands in reverse and forward. Now sticking with forward for less tire noise and correct water dispersal. Don't think our braking forces are strong enough to affect a sport bike rear tire that is use to big horsepower trying to shred it. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Jerry, I run the MPA rear tire mounted in reverse at 41psi and got 25,000 from my first one.
JMO, it's the best way to go.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Truth is, I don't think you can go wrong either way. That makes what ever feels best to you a good choice! I mostly run mine in reverse direction. I think where and when you ride makes the difference in mileage you get. Our roads here are generally a rougher surface texture and because of the oil field heavy truck traffic and the temperature extremes, the roads here are ROUGH! Very few curves or hills (that's an understatement!). But we also ride the Hill Country of Texas and the mountain areas of NM from time to time. I will say that putting a bias ply tire designed for use on the rear wheel is a significant improvement over the regular radial front tires available for use on a trike. Either brand gets good reviews and either direction of tire rotation gets good comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts