GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a Michelin mounted on my spare wheel. Quite a change in looks from the 2 Kumhos that I've been running for over 24k miles. From the tread design and winter vs ultra-high performance summer tire, and both are run flats; so I'm curious, but a tad apprehensive to switch from what I know I like. Will put it on the bike in a few weeks to see if it's better, worse, or about the same. Never thought that I would change from the Kumho to anything else, but this Michelin sure has been getting some strong support from some folks on this board.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Come on, slap that thing on there and give it a spin! The suspense is killing me!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I sure like my Michelin RF! :thumbup: I run 32 in it solo, 2up, with or without trailer and have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have run two Kumho and am on my first Michelin. I have about 5,000 miles on it and really like it the best of any CT that I have tried, which in includes Pirelli, although the Pirelli is my highest mileage CT Ive tried. This michelin seems to be holding up as good or better. It rides like a dream...I am very happy with it so far, it has carried me and my wife from Alabama to the highest paved road in North America, Mt Evans Colorado and also Pikes Peak and back without a problem.

·
Registered
374 Posts
One more "Hell yeah!" from a PA3 user.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't think anyone can go wrong with the Michelin. :thumbup: A run flat, good wear and a great wet weather tire.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just put on less than 100 miles, but I'm VERY pleased with the Michelin Primacy PA !!!!!! I'm not an expert in anything, but this tire "feels" lighter, smoother, and even more "planted" than my last 2 Kumho (which I highly praised). Mounted the new PA and a new G709 without Dyna beads or any other weights and it rides smoother than any high-dollar hooker (endorsement from Charlie Sheen). So far; berry, berry gud!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
What size Michelin did you buy? I am looking at this tire and it will be my first C/T.

Mike

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It would be nice to have an alternative tire for my next change in case the Kuhmo is not, for some reason, available any more. Of course if it's endorsed by TravlinLite it has my interest. Still lovin' my Kuhmo, Richard. I brought a motorcycle to you and you gave me back a Goldwing. For that I am always indebted.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
It would be nice to have an alternative tire for my next change in case the Kuhmo is not, for some reason, available any more. Of course if it's endorsed by TravlinLite it has my interest. Still lovin' my Kuhmo, Richard. I brought a motorcycle to you and you gave me back a Goldwing. For that I am always indebted.
Hey Coldwing, long time no speak. Glad to see the Kumho is working out for you. I am not sure what I'd go to next if they quit making the Kumho. Maybe try the Pirelli....dunno. Take care.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Going to try and find tire local tomorrow. Need to get a new valve stem also.

Mike

·
Registered
828 Posts
Something to consider, never had a problem with the original one. How long will the rubber grommet last on the metal one?

Mike

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Something to consider, never had a problem with the original one. How long will the rubber grommet last on the metal one?

Mike
Although the metal stems have a rubber seal, that seal isn't under as much stress as compared to the '01-'08 OEM valves when the wheels go round and round. It is this stress that can cause a failure in the OEM stem to open up real wide and result in a very fast deflation. It is the prospect of this fast deflation that makes the OEM less safe than the all metal ones.

I can't count the number of folks that said they only lost air pressure while the bike was being ridden. Close and continuous inspection of those OEM stems is important.

I wouldn't think that you're likely to get a fast deflation with an all metal stem should the grommet fail. Just a slow leak and one likely to occur if your moving or not.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm running a Michelin too.:excited:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Finally "comfortable"

It has taken me over 500 miles to really get "comfortable" with the Michelin. My first 300 or so was two-up, so I couldn't really judge. I've taken it out a couple times this weekend, and after bumping the pressure to ~ 37 psi I am finally there. Feels just like the MT with the exceptions of a little wander on straights, and much firmer plants in the turns. Gravel no longer feels so freaky in turns, either.

I rode a ragged road today (TN90 from US25W towards Middlesboro, KY through coal country). Really rough, some areas of gravel, will be a great road when the mines close and it is repaired! I followed a VW convertible full of young ladies. Every time I saw them hit a bad enough bump to throw them up out of their seats I knew to slow down for that area. They never slowed, though. Flogged that poor car all the way to town. Daddy will buy another.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Pid you are going to wear out the center of the tire with that much pressure. I have run 31 psi in mine sence new. The center is wearing a little more than sides at 21K miles. Also mine has never drifted or wondered at any speed or on any road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts