GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this board used Michelin tires on the rear of your trike? I am thinking of installing the Michelin Harmony m + s on the rear of my 06 Champion, and will be running the Michelin Pilot Activ on the front. Any comments from those that have experienced this?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I think that Beastie put a Michelin Rain tire on his???? Cant remember for sure..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have that exact setup both front and rear on my CSC. Have about 6,000m on them and love 'em. Very smooth!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike - I see you are running the front tire in reverse rotation. That is my intention also. Would like to ask what tire pressure you are running front and rear.

And Guys - Please don't start a controversy about mounting the front tire in reverse rotation. I have already decided what I am going to do.

Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Has anyone on this board used Michelin tires on the rear of your trike? I am thinking of installing the Michelin Harmony m + s on the rear of my 06 Champion, and will be running the Michelin Pilot Activ on the front. Any comments from those that have experienced this?
I have the Michelin Harmony on my Accord and CRV. On the trike I went with the Michelin HydroEdge. 15,000 miles and they look like new.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sk8ter, Michelin Primacy MXV4 all season radials (60,000 mi) came standard on my Hannigan. They are very quiet and smooth riding. I have a Michelin GT on the front. I don't hear any road noise from the tires. I run 41 lbs in front and 22-24 lbs on rears. I only have around 3,000 mi on them but they show no signs of wear. They have high ratings for rain, snow, ice and very high rating for dry traction. Hope this helps. Doc

P.S. Beastie's tire sure looks good. Doesn't take after its owner :eek:4:
Must take after owner's wife.:bow:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Don, I may take a closer look at that Hydro-Edge. I saw it on the Tire Rack site also, but was a little leery of it's design. It's only a few more bucks than the Harmony.

Doc, thanks for the info. Hope to see you in Foley mid March. Hope you can make it.

Wife and I will be staying in the Microtel in Gulf Shores.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I saw Beasties quite a while ago, and headed to the local tire shop to get a pair. Ran across a snag - they do not make the size that fits the MotorTrike, because they are 205s. Smallest then make is the 225s, which is what the CSC uses. Nuts.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Mike - I see you are running the front tire in reverse rotation. That is my intention also. Would like to ask what tire pressure you are running front and rear.
Thanks.
I run my front MPA tire between 28 psi-32 psi, 30 psi being ideal in reverse rotation. My rear tires are run at 18-19 psi. My rear shocks are set at the highest (spanner) adjusted level/knotch. This gives me the most comfortable ride on my Champion trike, go figure. (I tried all 4 knotches).

I now have over 15K miles on the tires and they still look great. I tried running the front MPA tire at 41 PSI but found that the tire would skip & bounce on tight turns such as a U-turn. Also the ride was harsher at the higher psi.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I had the Hydro Edge Michelin on my previous trike and was happy with them. I think the main thing to look for is an open tread that can evacuate water from beneath the tire. Typically trikes are fitted with much larger tires than are needed for the weight of the vehicle and are prone to hydroplaning. Open tread designs help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I to have a MPA in reverse rotation 41 psi and Michelin HydroEdge 24 psi 9,000 miles and still look new. Wife and I and cousin and wife are to going to Foley and staying at Microtel in Gulf Shores.:excited:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sk8ter, I have been running 38 in the front and 26 in the rears. they all look like new. Can't tell they have been on the ground.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I also have the HydroEdge on the rear of my trike. I have only ridden it maybe three hundred miles but the tires are exceptionally quite compared to the other trike I had. Front Pilot Activ does have the slight buzz at lower speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts