GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body heard anything new on michelins bike tires for the wings yet? Only see front for trikes only! Would be willing to try a set next go round.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I live next to the Michelin plant.
The tires they developed are Jim Dandy tires, but they did this in tandem with Harley Davidson, and not all models. Only a few of the bikes. And none of the full dressers such as the Ultra.

None of the tires currently offered will fit the wing and I do not think they plan to enter that market.

Only they know the reason, but I have to assume that with the problems they had long ago with some trial tires and the fact they have dumped production of tires for the GL1500 that it is one of two things.

Either there is not enough market to support the set up and manufacture of them, or they simply do not want the liability of production of a tire for a heavy touring bike. To gain a good market they would have to make the tire to specs and within a price to solicit Honda to gain factory installation for their tires. To do this as in all things just like John Deere lawnmowers sold at Lowes, the quality has to be cut to be competative. If the market is not there, then as any business, why do it??

I just had a call, hey Kit we have a old home we bought way up here in Camden, we need to install this and that. Gas cost for a trip up and back one time is $60 bucks. I am competing against shops with imigrants......why go backwards, and use other work to support that work?? Kinda like that.

Kit

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I had the Michelin PR2's on my R1200RT, and they were fantastic. I have wished, since I got the Wing, that Michelin made a tire, and was enthused when they came out with the latests model. However, as has been stated, it is not for the Wing, and I remain disappointed. Maybe one day....

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I don't know it this is what you're referring to or, looking for but, I recently, about a week ago, had a Michelin Pilot Active, 130/70-18 installed on the front and it seems to be flawless in performance. I'm not pushing too hard just yet but, what I've done with it so far, absolutely "0" complaints. Way cheaper than the Dunlop E-3 they were going to sell me.
Scott

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I am a huge fan of Michelin tires. Have used them on everything wife and I own for years. I WISH Michelin would make tires for our Wings but as Kit laid it out, it has to be profitable.

I'm sure Michelin has considered it and must have decided against it. Perhaps because Honda wasn't helpful about agreeing to make them OEM tires on the GL? Who knows?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts