GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With such a seemingly large market, I am curious why Michelin has not entered the GL1800market. I have seen their advertisements for 1500 tire and can’t help but wonder why they still have not done anything with our bikes. Does anybody know why?
That being said…I am pleased with my Metzlers (70 on the rear)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I had Michelins on a 1500 and they were recalled. Michelin never made tires for a wing again. And why would they want to? Market is really small and picky and at the same time they can make a whole lot more profit making tires for commercial long haul trucks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There are so many people on this forum chastising others for not riding (Dunlops, Metzelers, Avons, Bridgestones, pick one) they probably don't think they'd get a decent shot at a fair assessment.

I

·
0 Posts
I don't think Michelin makes a radial tire for motorcycles, at least not for the 1800, and of course the standard 1800 uses radials. However, I run their Pilot Activ bias ply 130/70/18 on the front of my 1800 trike. It is intended as a rear tire for other makes/models of bikes, but works great on 1800 trikes that like a bias ply front tire due to the side loading a trike puts on a front tire.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am foggy on this but I was told back in '04 that Micheln made a tire or tires for the 1800 and there was some problems with them. I think they wanted a particular pressure maintained and but some were having problems so they recalled all of them and haven't tried again.

Again, I am not sure as to the accuracy of this, but they did make some for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts