GL1800Riders Forums banner

Microsoft S&T Speed Slider Conversions

759 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bangladave 
#1 ·
As the guesswork surrounding driving speeds in S&T seems to be a widespread annoyance, I laid out some routes in S&T on different road types and set the slider to different values to see how the travel time changed. I then did the math to deduce what speeds S&T was using for each slider setting for each road type. There's a minor amount of guesswork involved because S&T only shows whole minutes on travel time--- no seconds. But on the whole, this should be pretty close:

Limited access (eg non-urban Interstate):
Average speed = 69mph
+1 slider unit = 75
+2 = 78
+3 = 82

Major Road (eg major numbered state highway in open country, eg Rt 16 in Ossippee NH)
Average speed = 50mph
+1 slider unit = 53
+2 = 55
+3 = 58

"Other Highway" (eg Route 1a in the suburban north shore of Mass)
Average speed = 35mph
+1 slider unit = 36
+2 = 37
+3 = 38

Arterial Roads (eg Route 9 into Boston)
Average speed = 50mph
+1 slider unit = 51
+2 = 52
+3 = 53

Other Streets (eg suburban town road)
Average speed = 22mph
+1 slider unit = 23
+2 = 24
+3 = 25

See less See more
#3 ·
Fred, let me tell you what I just found out. About a year ago I did the same thing you did. I wrote it down and thought I had it figured out. When I read your post I went into S&T just to check it out again. I found a nice stretch of I-80 going from Wendover on the Utah Nevada border 100 miles east toward Salt Lake City. Wide open fairly straight. The program did the calc of the time and came up at 1hr 41 min or 1.6833 hours to go 100 miles. 100 miles divided by 1.6833 hours = 59 mph. Then I moved over to a stretch of I-94 in the middle of North Dakota and did the same thing. It came up with 1 hr and 24 min for the same 100 miles. This works out to 69 or 70 mph. I rechecked both these places two or three times and the answers came out the same every time. The speed slider was left at average for all these tests.

Conclusion? It seems to make a difference where in the country your route takes you. Maybe the local speed limits are built into the program? Some places the interstate limit is 80 and others it is 65?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.