GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I take the top shelter off can I access the screws to the mid fairing cover that is across the radiators? It looks like the back and 1 front screw would be accessible but not sure of the top 2 screws if there is room in between radiator and cove to get screws out. Or do I need to take fairing completely off. Thanks Ray

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Um.........?? What do you wish to install or repair?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know that you can at least access the top screws by removing the side pockets.

Use a stubby screwdriver.

I'm not sure of the lower screws.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trim

Kit, I am wanting to change the trim that goes over the radiator. I have a 2005 silver and I am in the process of dechroming and looking to 2 tone color the bike. I have trim parts from a 08 Caliente Red that I am installing. I will be doing air filter change shortly and need shelter off and really didn't want to take whole fairing off unless really needed to, Thanks Ray

·
Registered
994 Posts
I painted my grilles a couple of weeks ago.I tried,but just couldn't see getting at half the screws so I just went ahead and pulled the fairing.I had a lot of stuff already off as I'd changed out the rear shock the weekend before.Pulling the fairing really wasn't that bad.Pretty sure I could have it off in less than an hour the next time.Keeping track of the fasteners is the hardest part.Seems like everyone is different.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
If these are the covers being talked about, to properly install them and get the bottom tabs in place, you do have to at least slide the front fairing forward. At some large meets like a vendor meet they install them by the box full, but do not secure the bottom tabs.

Not much room in there and trying to pry and wiggle only dents the very fragile radiator fins.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cover pictures

Kit this is the cover I was talking about. i should have taken pics right away, but not smart enough to do it right the first time, Thanks Ray

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Never tried that.......might be possible with a small hand and short shank screw driver from the top with the shelter off. I would likely just put a towel on the front fender, move the fairing forward let it sit on a chair or bench and forget fighting it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not sure what year yours is.
Just had my fairing off my '09 to gain access to the chrome piece at the end of the headlights and the injector cover for the same reason to remove chrome. At the same time I pulled the radiator covers off for painting.
On the '09 there are six screws and one push pin that hold that cover in place.
Three screws down the back, two on the top, the bottom of the cover has tabs that require the cover to be slide back about 1/2" or so.
There is also an air duct that runs inside the center section of the cover, it has a screw underneath at the front of the duct that holds the duct to the cover, the push pin is in the back of the duct on top holding it to the cover as well. The duct is longer that the cover so it must be removed to take the cover off the fairing.
Not sure it is possible to get to all of these without pulling the fairing, but use a mirror and look around in there, might be possible.
I did try it that way as I wanted the other items off as well.
Good luck

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Get a helper, preferably wearing a bikini, or according to prs you can use a card table which is just the right height for moving the fairing off the front. I tried long ago to get to those screws, but it turned into a much larger job than sliding the faring off. I'm planning on getting some 2012 black headlights to put on mine and will be doing that soon.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Get a helper, preferably wearing a bikini, or according to prs you can use a card table which is just the right height for moving the fairing off the front. I tried long ago to get to those screws, but it turned into a much larger job than sliding the faring off. I'm planning on getting some 2012 black headlights to put on mine and will be doing that soon.
Used a card table with a block of wood and towel to support the front of the fairing, worked great, although I would recommend the bikini wearing helper. But it is doable by yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fairing cover

Thanks for the replys, looks like sliding fairing off will be my best option. Parts will be back from painter next week and the will tackle it, will be a good time to replace high beams also, Ray

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes... side fairing panels can be taken off with top shelter off, but what a pain! I assisted my brother doing just what you suggest to do a 2-tone job on his bike. We ultimately took off front fairing and that allowed easy access to the multiple Phillips screws that hold those panels in. He also had front lower cowl and heat shields painted, battery side covers, trunk trim, mirror housings, dash and multiple chrome trim pieces painted black for a different look as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bumper1, your brothers bike looks nice, that is the look I am going with only Caliente Red with my 05 Silver. Once done will post, Thanks Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts