GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In July I posted the thread, "Garmin Zumo 550 -- Check out THIS Price" which informed that Star Marine Depot was taking pre-orders for the Zumo at $768.95, in seeming direct contravention to Garmin's MRP policy (i.e., selling it at the Garmin-directed/set price of about $1,000). Jon of this board posted in part, the following comment:

"It will be interesting to see how long it takes the distributors (middlemen) to properly adjust their wholesale prices for these new units. It's possible that this price won't be available for very long, so you might want to get your pre-orders in early."

Another buyer just PM'd me (and I've corroborated) that Star Marine would now be selling the Zumo at $999. I am already fully confirmed and invoiced out at the former price so I am going to be OK. But beyond that I have two points I should pass on:

1. Word to the wise: IF you were sitting on the fence about getting a Zumo, I totally recommend you find where it is still being sold for under $800 (Froogle had about a dozen vendors two days ago) and do it NOW; and

2. Jon is an absolute spot-on SVENGALI!!! [Hey Jon, got a line on any good stocks, or horses, etc...?) :wink:

Svengali -- Rides a 'Wing..?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
'Oh ye' of little faith...'

Just as an FYI, my price is still good ($780) but who knows for how long...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Jon said:

Jon, Do you have abundle yet for the zumo, mount and power connection?

Chuck

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mbd said:
Jon said:

Jon, Do you have abundle yet for the zumo, mount and power connection?

Chuck
Since your question has gone unanswered (maybe unseen by Jon) for two days, I wonder if it would help if I stepped in and told you that the parts you mention above wouldn't BE in a "bundle" per se, because they (i.e., the Zumo unit itself, and all car AND bike mounts and power connections) are already included in the price you pay for and come with the base unit (nice, huh?!).

Now a true package deal "bundle" (with optional equipment or accessories you don't get when you open the Zumo's box and added at a reduced price) MIGHT include but would not be limited to: a GXM-30 antenna/receiver, an SD media card, another/replacement lithium-ion battery, etc.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm sorry - I did miss this post...

As Mike said, the unit does come with a handlebar mount kit and hardwire power kit (similar to the iWay). When I get my hands on one, I'll mount it on my dash mount and find out what, if any, changes need to be made to accomodate it up there. My gut feel is that the added vertical dimension of the cradle and the fact that the locking mechanism is activated from the top might mean that there'll be some clearance issues, especially with the Tulsa shield. This might mean that the unit will need to be mounted lower to provide access to the locking screw and release mechanism and the possibility that it just won't work with the Tulsa shield.

It might not need many accessories to fully install it on the bike - I would think that Kennedy will be verifying that the CellSet system that they have for the 2820 can be adapted to the Zumo very soon. I potentially foresee a new 'Device Cable' that provides integrated power in/stereo audio out/cellphone input connections and provides a fully plug and play installation. The bare wire kit included in the box will need to be modified to attach to the wing's ACC power connections. (You won't need/want the unit wired direct to the bike's battery, since it has an internal battery). I won't know until I test one if it will need a GLI filter in the AUX input connection or not.

I can provide a package price to include the XM receiver/antenna and memory card as well as the dash mount and wiring kits (I'm not sure of the value of an additional battery without any external charging mechanism). I wanted to put my hands on it first to make sure that everything will actually work as specified before doing so.

At today's prices and assuming everything will adapt without any problems, we're looking at about $1,230 for the GPS, XM receiver/antenna, dash mount and a 4GB SD card. (These could change tomorrow, though :wink: )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts