GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like we are going to be forced to hold up here tomorrow in Tehachapi CA waiting for this winter storm to move through before we can head up through Sequoia and Yosemite. Hopefully all this snow that is supposed to be dumped won't make the roads closed! Time will tell!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess all Good things must come to an end! Looks like we have rode all the roads in Calif. that we have time for! What a blast it has been. Hwy 1, 2, 299, 33, 36, 245. Those are the ones that stick out in my mind. We rode many more but lost count! All I can say is if you live in Calif. you have no need to come all the way to the east to ride the Dragon, or the Cherahala skyway. If you have ridden hwy 1 south of legget than you have ridden the dragon (only better). If you have ridden hwy 2 then you have ridden the Cherahala. Both of those roads reminded me so much of them that other than the scenery it seemed like I was riding them again! All I can say about hwy 299 is 140 miles of railing through a canyon for 2 hours straight! I never thought I would get tired of twistys until now. Back east you ride one for 30 minutes if your lucky but here you can go for hours non stop. WHEW!!!!:thumbup: Headed back east tomorrow stopping at the Grand Canyon.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Hi Mike, it looks and sounds like you had/are having a wonderful California trip. And you are correct about some of the roads there in Cali. But you didn't make it to the Pacific Northwest. Did you spend too much time down south or did you not intend to go to Washington and Oregon too?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I guess all Good things must come to an end! Looks like we have rode all the roads in Calif. that we have time for! What a blast it has been. Hwy 1, 2, 299, 33, 36, 245. Those are the ones that stick out in my mind. We rode many more but lost count! All I can say is if you live in Calif. you have no need to come all the way to the east to ride the Dragon, or the Cherahala skyway. If you have ridden hwy 1 south of legget than you have ridden the dragon (only better). If you have ridden hwy 2 then you have ridden the Cherahala. Both of those roads reminded me so much of them that other than the scenery it seemed like I was riding them again! All I can say about hwy 299 is 140 miles of railing through a canyon for 2 hours straight! I never thought I would get tired of twistys until now. Back east you ride one for 30 minutes if your lucky but here you can go for hours non stop. WHEW!!!!:thumbup: Headed back east tomorrow stopping at the Grand Canyon.
I'm glad to see someone from the other side of the country say that the roads in California are as good as they are. Most of the poeple who talk about the dragon and other roads back east have never been here so they really don't know. I have ridden hwy 1 all the way from Legget to Sausolito twice both ways and it is a workout.
Hwy 36 the whole way between Fortuna and Red Bluff is a good workout also. If you have never been there King's Canyon is a good one to put on your list for next time. I spent three whole weeks one time just in California and still haven't seen all there is to see but luckely I live here so I will get to them eventually

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

Glad you enjoyed it out this way.I've been on most of the roads you mention,and there are a lot more to see next time you head out this way.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mike, it looks and sounds like you had/are having a wonderful California trip. And you are correct about some of the roads there in Cali. But you didn't make it to the Pacific Northwest. Did you spend too much time down south or did you not intend to go to Washington and Oregon too?
Actually we were planning on going up into Oregon but it started raining up there and so we stayed to the south where it was dry. I guess we will just have to do that next time!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Actually we were planning on going up into Oregon but it started raining up there and so we stayed to the south where it was dry. I guess we will just have to do that next time!
Makes perfect sense to me. Stay where the weather and riding is good! This just means a return trip to the PNW. :thumbup: You'll want to hit WA and OR in July or August, their driest months. I was there three weeks in July and it only sprinkled a couple of times.

Let me know when you want to color in some of those Northeastern states. ;)

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
You know you are from FL. when you call Ca. the PNW:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know you are from FL. when you call Ca. the PNW:shrug::shrug::shrug:
Actually I was referencing Ca, Oregon, and Washington as the PNW!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made it home safe last night about 7pm. 7300 GPS miles,(7600 Honda) in 21 days. It was a trip of a lifetime for the wife and I. Everyone needs to take the time to do a trip like that while you still can. Don't put it off any longer! Just do it!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Actually I was referencing Ca, Oregon, and Washington as the PNW!
Well...most of us up here don't figure Cal into the PNW...

Kinda like calling Florida the East Coast..

Still glad you enjoyed the trip out west.Next time let some of us show you the real PNW

·
Registered
709 Posts
Very nice write up of your trip Mike. Mike was on a CT during this entire trip. I do feel blessed to live in California with so many nice roads within 30 minutes. With very little traffic sans weekends. Try a Kuhmo next, you may change your tune on CT's. Post some pics with your bike and some nice locations!

·
Registered
670 Posts
That must have been a fantastic trip. My son & I rode a few CA roads a few yrs ago, It was great. My wife and I definitely plan to ride in CA. Our other son will be in Monterey in about a year, and we can ride & visit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
That must have been a fantastic trip. My son & I rode a few CA roads a few yrs ago, It was great. My wife and I definitely plan to ride in CA. Our other son will be in Monterey in about a year, and we can ride & visit.
Look me up as I live minutes from Monterey. I'll ride with ya!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts