GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well before i start the question i will provide some answers to questions that would be ask

tires same before and after
tire pressure same before and after
gas and filling technique same before and after
driving technique and routes traveled same before and after
underwear same before and after 8)

2005 with ABS

took it in for it's 24k service.... all fluids changed and new spark plugs put in....
and since the honda air filter was not available...

i had them put the K+N air filter in instead...
they used the honda synthetic blend oil for the oil change....where i had mobil 1 in it

before 24k my reserve light came on at 195 if i was drivin agressive
and mayb 205 if i was taking it easy....

after 24k my reserve light comes on at 175 like clock work.....

i have lost 20 miles per tank since the service.... i now have 32k on the bike and have had time to change
oil back to mobil 1 which i had in it before to see if that affected the mileage.... it did NOT change

so.... im left with plugs and that K+N air filter as things that I would percieve as having a potential to change my mileage

from what i had heard.... the K+N filter is supposed to improve mileage...

unless im wrong about that.... or is it possible the mechanic didnt seat the air filter correctly
and that would cause a change in mileage.... and i guess if the gap in the plugs were off.... maybe that would do it....

the bike seems to perform the same as before... and ive had 7,000 miles
to try different things.....

so????? im baffled 8)

any ideas out there

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The first 2 things that pop into my head:

1- K&N filter flows more air; sensor reads that and feeds more fuel.

2- Preload adjustment; if I vary the preload adjustment and ride height the fuel gauge reads differently.

·
Registered
703 Posts
the K&N filter should have helped the mpg. The oil might change the mpg a little, but i don't think it would be that much. That leaves spark plugs. I've never pulled my plugs so I don't know what's in there. Could they have screwed them up? Maybe someone who have changed the plugs has some inputs.

Some questions you might ask yourself; How does the bike idle? How does it accelerate? Hear any noise you didn't before? Everything connected.

You might even take it back to the dealer and tell them what is happening. Wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well...... the bike has stayed the same as far as performance and idling etc....

always keep the ride height the same as well.....

i thot i read on the K+N site that if the airbox the filter sits in is screwed with...
like extra holes for air...etc it will reduce mileage....

so that leads to the possibilty of an incorrectly seated air filter.... also as
mentioned.... too much oil in the filter could restrict air flow...

the mech that did the work is a 25yr honda veteran and an expert with wings... so i
wouldnt expect newbie type mistakes.... but ya never know

ive never changed the air filter myself.... so im not sure if not-seating correctly
is easlily possible....

i sure dont want to tear into the bike just to see without having other things that
can be checked out at the same time......

also not sure if during the service, there is a way to reset computer settings that
could control fuel/air ratios....and is there anything i can do to reset things
back to factory specs myself...

i want to try to do more on my own so i can take advantage of Fred's DVD's 8)

·
Registered
335 Posts
U buying your gas from the same place? I bet the gas has Alcohol in it.. Try a different gas station that doesn't have alcohol in it..

·
Registered
341 Posts
Howdy, I have a couple of thoughts. I too changed spark plugs and my mileage dropped. Coincidently, this is about the time the oil companies start sending their "winter" formulation of gas. Both my bike and car drop about 10% in mpg with this formulation.
I personally am waiting for the summer gas formulation to return before I blame it on spark plugs. I ride mostly highway on my commute to work each day so I'm getting 225 miles when the light comes on and by 250 you better be at the pump. This winter after the plug/formulation change, my light comes on at 200 miles. I changed the plugs myself so I don't have a dealer to question. My performance is ok and the idle is perfect. I just reset the computer yesterday and I haven't had a chance to ride to check my mileage.
Good Luck,
NRA

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
I installed a K&N filter in a 2006 this fall, and I will never ever put another one of those things in a GL1800. The K&N filter is soft and the edges of the rubber fitting that go into the housing flex, and it makes the filter VERY difficult to get seated correctly in the airbox. It took me at least 6 tries to get it to stay in place when I put the lid on. Every time you try to put the lid on, it knocks the filter out of place, and you have to start all over.

I would recommend you stick with the OEM filters and stay away from the K&N. It is very poorly designed.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Did the service happen to coincide with the time most of the service stations started selling the enthanol blend? I have noticed a mileage decrease with ethanol blends on mine without any other changes.

FWIW I'm with Fred, the K&N filter is not a good application for the wing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have to rethink air filters. I have used K&N on every vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle) that I put a filter into but with Fred saying not on the wing.. hmmm... I did have question though, Does Tampa, FL have a winter formula for fuel? The only difference I notice in mileage summer to winter is that a tank of gas lasts more days in the winter :lol:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Perhaps this doesn't apply to you, but another factor that impacts mileage is altitude.

Fuel injected engines get higher mileage in higher altitudes, lower mileage in lower altitudes since they automatically adjust fuel mixture to match the oxygen concentration.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well we dont have any altitude in florida....... maybe a hill or valley
we can go weeeeeeee for a 2nd or 2........

we do have retarders put in the gas in florida.... it all stemmed from
old farts complaining that when their cars sit for months at a time the gas
was evaporating from the tanks too fast ahahahah

the 24k service was done during the summer so its spanned the seasons
so far.....

based on what i read about things not to do with airbox's and filters i'm
going with Fred on this one....... everything points to a filter that isnt
mounted right.... if u get too much air leakage around the filter the
mileage will go down........

so next time this puppy comes apart im stickin with oem... the only
reason i changed was the dealer was out of the oem's and i was ready
to drop the bike off right then... timing was of the essence and i didnt
have time to wait a week to get it serviced.........

there was ridin to be done yeeehaaaa 8)

G

·
LordZarkon,

You have asked a lot of questions. I have one. Have you been back to the dealer and told all this to the mechanic who did the work?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd suspect fuel to be the culprit. I've noticed that my fuel mileage has dropped off lately, too. Nothing else has changed to account for it, so I'm blaming it on the fuel.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
beastie said:
LordZarkon,

You have asked a lot of questions. I have one. Have you been back to the dealer and told all this to the mechanic who did the work?
thats a great question ;-) and no i havent.... the dealer is in a direction
i rarely travel..... so its been outa the way while ive been burnin up the hiways....

i suppose the biggest reason is they might wanna take my baby away from me
and take her apart again and i wanna keep riding... i can live with the
loss of mileage until the next tear down....

i got some parts im going to be adding shortly and that would seem the time
to start tearing into this.....

i would prefer to stay away from the dealer unless its warranty work 8)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Most fuel here in indiana is 10% ethonol and has ben for serveal years. Make sure it's not E85 which is 85% ethonol.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My milage went from low 30s to about 22mpg and it turned out to be contaminated O-2 sensors. The only fix is to replace them. It could have happened if your mechanic "checked them" and got his fingerprints on them. I'd make a call and see if checking sensors is part of the service package. Other than that, i guess I'd go along withthe air filter theory, even though I used to run cars with no air filters sometimes and never noticed a milage difference. Of course those weren't high zoot FI flat sixes either.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Possibly a lead disconnected somewhere? A coincident failure of the fuel pressue regulator?

That is a pretty signivicant change! Did you change tires?

Is there a significant difference in the viscosity of the oil before and after?

For it to be the air filter, it would seem that there would be significant restriction.

My light comes on around 200 miles with E3 70 tires which is actually about 204 miles, and would be 190 miles if I had stock 60 series tires on it. All miles have the Tailwind trailer on the back.

If I am pushing it it will drop to around 188 ot 190 for the light, and if I put around, it will be 215 to 220 before the light.

100% in town running will be around 185 miles.

Sheila's bike has never gotten good mileage, and it is also an 04.

The E3 70 is worth about 2 to 3 mpg real improvement, because everything that rotates, turns 6.8% fewer revs (26.06-24.39) / 24.39 = .06847, and the engine is running at slightly higher BMEP.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts