GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how many miles others got before brake pads needed replacing. I realize a lot depends on how you ride. I'm a pretty relaxed ride and I just needed to replace the front pads at 24,000 miles. Was told the rears were ok. Also, what have others paid to have this done.

Thanks for any feedback.

Larry

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yes it sure does depend on your riding style I must ride the big girl like old fart :crying:currently have 32K on the front pads and I checked them recently and they still have a bit more wear to go to the wear indicators :yes1:

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I can not recall anyone here stating what a shop has charged for brake pad changes. Maybe Fred or Greg can report what they charge for the parts and labor, but either of them probably really do more labor for that job as they are very thorough and are likely check over the whole bike. I ride moderately most of the time, a bit nuts sometimes, tootle about sometimes and my front and rear brakes are all good at about 15,000 miles.

As brake pad changes go, this one is about as easy as it can get.

prs

·
Registered
930 Posts
I just checked my front at 12,000 and the left inside pad has more wear on it than the other 3 on the front.
I will check it again in 3 - 4,000 miles it may need to be replaced by then.
Other than that, the rest looked like they were about less than 1/3 worn down. They may go another 10 - 15,000.
The rears I will check when I replace the tire in the next month or two.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The rear OEM pads on this bike are amazing they seem to last for ever I changed the original rear pads at 100K just for the sake of changing them and they still had a bit of life left in them :yes1:

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
The rear pads on this bike are amazing they seem to last for ever I changed the original rear pads at 100K just for the sake of changing them and they still had a bit of life left in them :yes1:
I don't think anyone here has 100K miles on a 2018 gold wing.

:doorag:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I replaced my front pads at 18,000 miles. The rear pads were still fine. I've tried to make sure that
I'm using the rear brakes at all times. I think I was braking quite a bit just using the front brakes.
I paid $146 for the front pads from my dealer. I could have bought them online for $122. I like to
support my local dealer as much as I can. He provides free coffee every day he's open.
I do buy tires online and do my own tire changes. I save quite a bit of money on tires.

·
Read Only
851 Posts
About every 3rd tire change on the front. The last bike I changed the front at 77k miles, and they still had the wear indicator grooves showing. One pad was worn slightly more than the others.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I changed my front pads at 19,200 miles. The inside pads were paper thin but the wear bars are still showing. The rear pads still have approx 3/4 left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
I expect to get 30,000 miles on my pads. Why? because I seldom brake. Mostly I use downshifting to slow down . Never can remember using brakes unless coming to a stop. TRY IT

·
Read Only
851 Posts
I expect to get 30,000 miles on my pads. Why? because I seldom brake. Mostly I use downshifting to slow down . Never can remember using brakes unless coming to a stop. TRY IT
. No thank you. I had much rather replace my brake pads than my clutch discs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have 27,000 miles on my bike and I bought it Oct 2017. It had the original set of pads all around and I pulled the fronts to look at the wear. My left inside pad is getting thin and the outside pad about 1.5 times more pad. The right side pads were even much better. I have not looked at the rear pads, yet. But, I ordered new OEM pads from AMAZON, saving $40 from the Dealer cost. I will put them on some day when it is raining outside.

I am a bit confused. On AMAZON and Wing Stuff, they show brake pads for EBC and the same part number for all three brakes. But the OEM pads have a different part number for all three. What gives?

·
Read Only
851 Posts
The rear pads are just slightly thicker than the front, therefore the reason for different parts numbers. A friend of mine thought he was doing everyone in our local group a favor by ordering full sets of pads because they were cheaper by the full set. Most of us had already converted to trikes and only needed front pads. The pads for the rear was just slightly thicker and wouldn’t fit. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 1st set of pads lasted 11K and I ride real easy. I contacted Honda CS and they instructed me to go to me dealer for replacement. My dealer tried to tell me that this was not that uncommon, I explained my riding style and they stuck with their story. My new pads have 12K on them, same riding style and they look new. (See pics)

A friend told me that the reason mine were replaced was a silent recall and the reason Honda replaced them for free. Also the back pads will not wear if you only use the fronts, if you use the back brakes that is where the system is linked, then the fronts are applied as well at about 30%. I primarily use front brakes only and rears on emergency braking.

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Here is the confusion I see. We are talking on this board about 2018+ Goldwings.....not 2017 and prior Goldwings.
The brake pads for the 2018+ Goldwings, the fronts are the same for both sides. The rears are different.
When we talk about the older Goldwings, 2017 and later, the front left and right brake pads are different.
I think it is best that we keep this 2018+ section strictly talking about 2018+ Goldwings to avoid confusion regarding parts, wear, and mileages because they do differ and someone is going to be getting the wrong information regarding their 2018+ if someone is referring to an older model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts