GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 9,000 miles on the rear E-3 and leaving on a 2,000 mile trip next week riding two up. My tire is okay, but am wondering what your average rear tire life is riding two up. Would you change it before the trip?

·
Registered
297 Posts
sooner or later,,

I managed to get nearly 8000 miles out of my factory Dunlop before it delaminated. We ride 2 up most of the time. If it were me, I would put new tire on. 1 less thing to worry about.. A new Kumho run flat, 195/55/16..:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
E3's usually last pretty well. Since no one can see what you call "okay", it is hard to tell. 11K shouldn't be unheard of, but only you can really answer the question.

What ever you do, don't short yourself, and have a good time.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Wouldn't be worth the risk to me. I'd put a new one on, save the old one and use it up when I get back.

Or you could put on a better tire....;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
My original Dunlops lasted 12,300 miles. I ended up changing to Metzeler 880's and haven't looked back. (2010 Level 2)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
My E-3's last 15-16k (tread to wear bars) 1-up

·
Registered
65 Posts
My original Dunlops lasted 12,300 miles. I ended up changing to Metzeler 880's and haven't looked back. (2010 Level 2)
I'm looking for new tires too and love the Metzelers I put on my HD FatBoy, although they are abit loud in the twisties. Do yours run quite in the curves??

·
Registered
330 Posts
guess it depends on what you value your life at. if you can afford the bike you should be able to afford to err on the side of caution as far as new tires for a trip. obviously they are bad enough that you are concerned or you would not have asked our opinions

everybody paddles their own boat. have a good safe trip.l

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I just replaced my E-3's at 21,000 miles ... same as last set ... wife & I TOGETHER weigh 320 ... carry only 60 pounds of gear ... no trailer ... speed limit plus or minus 5 mph. ... no Interstates. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've got 9,000 miles on the rear E-3 and leaving on a 2,000 mile trip next week riding two up. My tire is okay, but am wondering what your average rear tire life is riding two up. Would you change it before the trip?
I think I got about 13k out of my E3's before I replaced them. Most of that riding was 1 up, maybe 30% 2up. Under 350# for both of us. I would replace it before a trip like that, and maybe save the tire 'just in case'. Unless you have a place where you know you can get a tire on your trip, I'd say replace it first. I've seen many a day get eaten up looking for a tire, and a place that is open, etc.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
lots of folks claim to wearout rear tires in less than 10,000 miles but not me, on elite 3's or Metzler's i get over 15,000 :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I averaged 15,500 over six sets of E3's on my 2005. I primarily ride highway to and from work (45 mile commute each way)...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The question is, How much tread do you have left? Are the wear indicators showing on any of the four or six that the tire has? Have you measured the tread?

If any of those answers indicate a change is in order, then do it for your peace of mind. Even if all those indicate that a change is not indicated, if you're concerned, then change it out. Then ride to your heart's content.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
wondering what your average rear tire life is riding two up. Would you change it before the trip?

Closing in on 20k with my Pirelli ROF with a lot more to go.

No more unsafe delaminating tires for me and my Bride!

And yes, I would change it before cause you never know where it could let you down.

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The E-3's I ran (2 of them) lasted 12-14k each, replaced because of developed flat area in the center...alot of straight roads in AZ and around Phoenix metro.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The last 1/3 of the tire tread goes the fastest. You will probably change it when you get back so why worry, give up the few extra miles, change it now and have a worry free trip

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree: Got 18k on my last set of E-3's... it's a tough tire. Personally, if the tread and condition still looks good, I wouldn't hesitate to go on a trip.

ENJOY!

lots of folks claim to wearout rear tires in less than 10,000 miles but not me, on elite 3's or Metzler's i get over 15,000 :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts