GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, all you car tire riders, what has your actual mileage been? I posted this under a different link, but now I'm curious to know what type of mileage is being obtained from the car tires. As one considers utilizing car tires, does the mileage actually increase or is it pretty much the same as the motorcycle tires?

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is from Tom Franken's web site.

The tire has about 30K on it. It has burned up two front tires and a set of brake pads but still has not worn smooth with the wear bars. I did the Tail of the Dragon in about 18.5 minutes. It has only failed me once trying to ride at an angle through a four inch high pile of snow between lanes of traffic. (The back tire was fine but the front tire picked up a huge shimmy and when the back tire got off the pile, it had nothing to grab on to so the bike went down.)

http://www.tomfranken.com/Darkside/Update5-16-06.htm

S

·
0 Posts
First I applaud those who are willing to try something new and thinking independently. Very refreshing to here alternative and common sense solutions other than the "designed for radials thinking" mindlessness.
What brand size etc tire are you using? I am already much impressed with the reliablility of bias plys and would sure be willing to give a tire which offers lower price and greater miliage a shot.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm at about 6500 miles on a 195/55R16 Toyo Proxes T1R and the tire looks like it will easily make it past 15,000 miles. Time will tell. When I replace it I will try and remember to post the final mileage on this board.

(The Toyo went 20,000 miles. MM)

·
Registered
227 Posts
195-55r/16,a little over 13,500 miles on a trip to alaska and back,tire was slick probably started out with too much air.It was a dunlop tire.I am now trying a dunlop 195/50r/16 to see able handle and mileage started with much lower tire pressure.It seems to be handling well,two up and also pulling trailer,it is way off on the speedometer don't like that because of the mileage being way off,I run the speed by gps.John

·
Registered
150 Posts
jfrazsr said:
195-55r/16,a little over 13,500 miles on a trip to alaska and back,tire was slick probably started out with too much air.
John,

What air pressure were you running?

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
First I applaud those who are willing to try something new and thinking independently. Very refreshing to here alternative and common sense solutions other than the "designed for radials thinking" mindlessness.
What brand size etc tire are you using? I am already much impressed with the reliablility of bias plys and would sure be willing to give a tire which offers lower price and greater miliage a shot.
seems like yesterday
30000 later

·
Registered
570 Posts
See my signature

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My first Kumho took me 29k to the wearbars. The second one has 10k on it and looking great.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
On the '08, only 7K+ on my first one, a Bridgestone Non-ROF G019. Smooth, handles, quiet and doesn't look like it's even rolled off the center stand. One the '03 about the same, 7K+ on a Connie Pro Non-Rof, same feedback as the Stone. And I'm a luvin both. :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Did any of you see the date of the original post. It is the oldest I could find on the Darkside Forum. This is why I brought it to the top,
By the way I am back on my Bridgestone MT, once it is wore out I'll be back on my Dunlop 175 and have no plans of ever going back to a MT. I have been on CT for over 30k. I'll tell you though the Bridgestone 704 rear is a great tire handles real good the only issue with the MT is when you hit some gravel or rain you just don't have the stability of a run flat CT other than that I have no issues with the Bridgestone

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Did any of you see the date of the original post. It is the oldest I could find on the Darkside Forum. This is why I brought it to the top,
By the way I am back on my Bridgestone MT, once it is wore out I'll be back on my Dunlop 175 and have no plans of ever going back to a MT. I have been on CT for over 30k. I'll tell you though the Bridgestone 709 rear is a great tire handles real good the only issue with the MT is when you hit some gravel or rain you just don't have the stability of a run flat CT other than that I have no issues with the Bridgestone

Pssst Hazel..The rear stone is a 704
709 is the front tire..

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, all you car tire riders, what has your actual mileage been? I posted this under a different link, but now I'm curious to know what type of mileage is being obtained from the car tires. As one considers utilizing car tires, does the mileage actually increase or is it pretty much the same as the motorcycle tires?
Are you wanting mpg or wear? Mpg is about the same a mt, as far as wear, I have around 7000 mi with mine , half pulling a trailer, and it still looks new. Running 30lbs in mine and oh so smooooth.:thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
My first was a Conti ProContact. I got 20K and changed at 4/32nds. I have just rum a Kumho on my 6000+ mile 14 day run and had 2 flats which showed no symptoms. We ran heavy pulling a trailer.

I have ordered a TPMS and will install it because I never knew I was running flat! I plugged the tire twice and am changing it now that I am home. If I had any idea how far I ran it flat I might keep it.

The two times I found it flat in the morning when I checked the air, we had run about 600 miles the day before. Like I said, I don't know how far I rode it flat either time.

Do you think I'm going to go back to something other than a RF? I do have a MT on a spare wheel but it is for refresher ERC courses and such. Any serious riding will be on a RF CT.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
First tire went about 11,000 miles when I went back to motorcycle tire for a trip to Alaska (Should of kept the car tire for that trip)

This tire has 17,000 plus miles on it and still has over 8/32nd left on tread, looks like it will make 50k .. It is harder than most car tires and does not grip as well as some of the others, but it is very strong (almost 2000 lbs) and will go a long ways..

jmho

·
Registered
973 Posts
I went a little over 19,000 miles on the 195/55R16 Toyo Proxes T1R, could've gone a couple of thousand miles farther.
I went a little over 18,500 miles on the 205/55R16 Conti ProContact, could've gone a couple of thousand miles farther. This one may have actually been able to go 25,000 miles but I wanted to try something different.
I am currently at about 3,500 miles on the 195/65R16 Conti Vanco II. Making my total 41000 miles on CT's. Wish it was more but I'm still working for a living so I do what I can.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I went a little over 19,000 miles on the 195/55R16 Toyo Proxes T1R, could've gone a couple of thousand miles farther.
I went a little over 18,500 miles on the 205/55R16 Conti ProContact, could've gone a couple of thousand miles farther. This one may have actually been able to go 25,000 miles but I wanted to try something different.
I am currently at about 3,500 miles on the 195/65R16 Conti Vanco II. Making my total 41000 miles on CT's. Wish it was more but I'm still working for a living so I do what I can.
MM,

Have you checked tread depth on the Vanco yet ?? Do you notice it wearing at a different rate ?? Mine is at 17,000 plus miles and still looks almost new.. over 8/32nd left of tread on it. I run 35 psi in mine and really like it.. Great tire for my kind of riding..

jmho

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I first read the email I wasn't sure if you wanted to know how many miles on a single tire or what the mileage was with a C/T. Just in case I thought I would give my experience on mileage since I have not had a C/T long enough to consider total miles on the tire.

I am seeing about a 2 to 3 mile drop in mileage from 34 to 31/32. That is around town driving and etc.... I just finished a 2200 mile trip 2 up and towing a tent trailer my mileage was around 31. Without the trailer on trips with a M/C I saw mileage upward of 38/39. I am riding a Kumho R/F on the back. No complaints about the tire at all.

To date I have about 4000 miles on the Kumho and it still looks new after cleaning up the bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts