GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is an average number of miles on the Dunlop E3's? I'm not an aggresive rider, average 60 mph, not much in town riding mostly hiway miles. I have approx. 5000 on them now and they look good yet. This is the first set of tires on my '05 and was curious what to expect.

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
E-3's

I too am not an agressive rider. Have worn out 3 or 4 on this wing. 18-21 thousand. I do wear them down.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
What is an average number of miles on the Dunlop E3's? I'm not an aggresive rider, average 60 mph, not much in town riding mostly hiway miles. I have approx. 5000 on them now and they look good yet. This is the first set of tires on my '05 and was curious what to expect.

Thanks
Captain,
I've been running the E3's since the stock tires wore out. I get anywhere between 15,000 to 18,000 out of the rears and a 1000 to 3000 more out of the front. I get a pretty good mix of highway and twisties and am somewhat aggressive. I've heard alot of good and alot of bad on this forum about them, but they've treated me good so I'm sticking with them. my 08 has over 118,000 smiles with them and no issues other than they do sing to me...LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
The only set I got to run nearly to the end had 17K+ on them when I picked up a nail in the tire, replaced the set. Your milage may vary.:popcorn:

·
Registered
758 Posts
E3s

I just got back from my annual summer trip. Checked the tires over real good.
Got 15K on the front and it looks to be good for another 10K which is about right on the front. The rear has 12K on it and looks good for 4 - 6K more if not pulling the trailer. That's my average on the rear 70 series E3s.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Heck, I must be doing something wrong. I have roughly 6000 miles on my E-3'and the front tire is on the bars. I have a 1000 possibly in the rear but will be switching back to stones in a couple of days.
I feel I ride pretty aggressive and spend most my time riding two up and with the local sport touring group.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Dragon what air you running most 38-41 i think i got 17,600 on mine n takin to ohio this week

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I dunno how you guts get that many miles on a set of E3's. I ran E3's for nearly 65000 miles on my '05, and the most I ever got on a rear was 12000. The fronts were generally good for another 1000 or so, but I always changed tires as a set. I always ran them 41/42. I'd love to get that kind of tire mileage.

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
I dunno how you guts get that many miles on a set of E3's. I ran E3's for nearly 65000 miles on my '05, and the most I ever got on a rear was 12000. The fronts were generally good for another 1000 or so, but I always changed tires as a set. I always ran them 41/42. I'd love to get that kind of tire mileage.
These are the same guys that get 26 MPG from their big V8 trucks.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The only set of E-3s I tried, I ended up getting 13500 miles out of. At that point all of the tread was gone on eighty percent of the rear tire and the front was into the wear bars. The rear tire cupped and sang badly until the tread wore down till threre was nothing left to sing. Actually, that's the most miles I've ever gotten from a rear tire, most others (Bridgestones and Dunlop 250s) have lasted less than 10000 miles. The biggest reason for not using anymore E-3s was the way they ran in the rain. They always felt like they were greased, once breaking loose at 70, on cruise control, in a light rain. Almost caused me to crap my pants. Never again!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dragon what air you running most 38-41 i think i got 17,600 on mine n takin to ohio this week
Well at first I was running 36/41, but about a 1000 miles ago I bumped the pressures to 40/43. I was very pleased with the performance of them. I am going back to Stones for money reasons as well as seeing if the mileage on the last set was a fluke. My first set of stones I got 7000 miles out of them, the second set was only 5000 then I tried the E-3's .

I have never and I mean NEVER gotten the mileage out of tires that everyone else does. I spend most of my time in the twisting and on a big girl like the wing, your are just going to scrubbing the rubber off.:)

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
My E-3s are well worn with just under 16,000 miles. I ordered a replacement pair from our website sponsor a couple of days ago when the Labor Day sale was announced. $308 with no sales tax and no shipping costs is an attractive price.

I am very well pleased with the performance of the Dunlop Elite 3s and will continue using them as long as they perform like this set has.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm in the low mileage catagory also air at 42/42 - rear 8500-9000mi - front 12000mi. I must be doing something right tho- plenty of smiles in 9000miles!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just got nearly 12K out of my front, and it could have gone another 1K-2K or so. Replaced it early since I was going on a long ride next week.

Rear tire is a 70 profile, and was installed at the same time as the (now former) front tire. Still has considerable meat left on it.

I was doing some agressive riding, plus some incidental miles of driving on gravel (unplanned) during my BBG ride. Most of the smiles were on the slab.

·
Registered
35 Posts
tires

2002 GL1800....I've had 2 complete sets of E3's and got 20,000 miles on them each time...Rear tire cupped some on the left side, and caused some front end wobble on decel...Have Bridgestones now with 15,000 miles on them, no wobble yet, with tread still above the wear bars..Also no cupping issues.. Not sure if I'll get 20,000 out of them, but will finish season on them...I'm amazed at the stories of guys only getting 10-12,000 miles on tires....I know its tempting to ride the wing like a crotch rocket, but you guys must ride hard a lot ??? Also-41 psi front and rear.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
My E-3s are well worn with just under 16,000 miles. I ordered a replacement pair from our website sponsor a couple of days ago when the Labor Day sale was announced. $308 with no sales tax and no shipping costs is an attractive price.

I am very well pleased with the performance of the Dunlop Elite 3s and will continue using them as long as they perform like this set has.
I did the same! Cant wait for them to get here:thumbup:

Tim

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
E-3's are a good tire; tough/stiff carcus and tread to provide high mileage and fight off road debris/nails better than some other types. The grip, turn-in characteristics, etc. are all to my satisfaction.

My last set got me just over 18k. They wore perfectly evenly from side-to-side, with little tread deformation: 60% rural two-lanes at sport-tour pace, 30% daily work commuting, and 10% Interstate.

Current set has seen many more highway miles; at 8,000 miles they look like they'll go to about 15-16k this time around.

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts