GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of Harley bashers here but it seems that a lot of our Wings get a motor overhaul well under 100,000 miles. How many of you have 100,000 without having you engine split open?

·
Administrator
3,844 Posts
115,000 with zero problems.

Glen

·
Registered
250 Posts
'03 with 181,000 ... no trans or engine issues. Alternator was the most major item according to prev owner.

If the tranny or engine busted now, I'd part out the bike...not going to sink thousands more into it.....would never get the $$ back out of it. I'd rather put the $4K (or whatever the cost would be) towards, oh, say about an '06 with under 50K on it.

(EDIT: doing the arithmetic a little closer....it probably would make sense to have the repair done if I could get it refreshed for under $4K.)

I've only been on this forum for a few months, but I really haven't seen evidence of "a lot of our Wings get a motor overhaul well under 100,000 miles". What have I not been reading?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
103.900 and it works perfectly. Except for most of the handlebar switches.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Too much focus on the negative. 01 194K, 07 118K, 12 4K, No split cases in this family.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
38000 so far, it's not the engine that's the problem, it's the trans.
I know the engine has to come out and be torn down to get to the trans.
I think there is a very small number that have had problems.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'03 with 181,000 ... no trans or engine issues. Alternator was the most major item according to prev owner.

If the tranny or engine busted now, I'd part out the bike...not going to sink thousands more into it.....would never get the $$ back out of it. I'd rather put the $4K (or whatever the cost would be) towards, oh, say about an '06 with under 50K on it.

(EDIT: doing the arithmetic a little closer....it probably would make sense to have the repair done if I could get it refreshed for under $4K.)

I've only been on this forum for a few months, but I really haven't seen evidence of "a lot of our Wings get a motor overhaul well under 100,000 miles". What have I not been reading?
It's the tranny, if it goes you have to tear the motor down. If you have the motor down most go ahead with a new top end to go along with the tranny. No need to put old parts back in.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you attempt to make any judgment about a Honda Goldwing derived from any statistics from this board, you will have achieved nothing. Compared to the totality of Honda Goldwins mfg. and sold in the US. It is a waste of time to try to gain any informative knowledge from such a small percentage of active users on this board and total owners malfunctions with the bike that will answer your question. Unless your only purpose is to rile, which is probably the case. As in your opening statement of "A lot of Harley bashers here but it seems that a lot of our Wings get a motor overhaul well under 100,000 miles." Where do you get your info on "allot of our Wings get a Motor Overhaul well under 100k" ?
Do a search for transmission problems. I'd bet most of those guys had their motor rebuilt while their transmission is. I have to agree that I was taking a shot at the Harley bashers. Have to disagree about board stats being worthless. We have a lot of Wing riders with varying degree of talent. I'd say that the group rides more than the average biker and therefor experience more problems. I think the stats from this board that say if you have problems with your Wing it will be your tranny, alt. drive gear or switches is accurate, probably very accurate.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bigest repair was replacing a starter on my 1981 at 225,000. 1975 had 179,000, 1978 had 197,000, 1981 had 275,000, 2001 Valk I/S had 120,000, and my 2006 has 101,000. Total of 872,000 miles on Goldwings and Goldwing type motorcycles

No tranny problems, no major repairs from mechanicals.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I think the Goldwing engine will easily run for 300,000 miles with no problems, the tranys well that's a toss up, but there is a very small sampling here of the 1000's of Goldwing's that are on the road.
Your not going to get much info from that.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Since when? Based on what?

Think you need to check your stats, or should I say "assumptions" based on the repetitive info on this venting forum? :shrug:

A lot of Harley bashers here but it seems that a lot of our Wings get a motor overhaul well under 100,000 miles. How many of you have 100,000 without having you engine split open?

·
Banned
3,074 Posts

I think that is a pretty bad assumption.

Can you provide links to anyone who has, in fact, had to have a Goldwing "motor overhaul well under 100,000 miles?"

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If you want to find out all about the Honda problems, go to the Harley forums. :mrgreen:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
All of them so far...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts