GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need input from our Military personnel on which MRE are better and which ones to stay away from. 4 of us are planning a trip to Alaska in June and I am considering getting some MRE to take along for a quick meal and to store at home for the Florida Storms,

The only experience I have with this type of food was Viet Nam K rations which were not like Mama's cooking. What should I get ?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I would go to a camping specialty store and see what they have MRE's

The selection now-a-days is huge, and the meals (if prepared right) are very good

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:wink:

A few of the online Army/Navy Surplus places have the latest versions, not too bad but y'all will have to run a few miles a day to burn 'em off. Taste pretty good but the calories content for the ones I had back in 2000/2001 were between 4000 and 5000 calories for the entire package which is to cover a 24 hour period. Also take some extra OTC stuff to unclog ya, those things are great for stoppin' ya up very bad. :wink:
All in all a good deal if y'all shop in advance after doin' lots of research to which ones will make the trip not unplesant. 8)

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
If your not real active... real active, be careful with MRE's. They are designed to keep the fighting military going so they are packed with calories. If your just sitting on that wing its a quick way to pack on pounds.

·
Registered
958 Posts
They taste pretty good. Even better when you just did a 10 mile road march and havent eaten in about 9 hours.

I liked the spaghetti. They change the menu so I dont know what the current offering is...

John

·
Registered
291 Posts
The MREs are pretty good. The menu changes so knowing specific ones are difficult. Think of them as going to the camping store and choosing what you want. If you like Spagetti and do not like Chicken. Then that is what you should choose. Make sure that you get the current ones. The old ones do not have the heater in them. The current ones have a water activated heater to heat the main course. The only real thing to remember is make sure that you have water. They do have atendancy to be a bit dry.

Charles

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I found this out in Danang. I was on flight status, and the enlisted club was never open when we got back from flights, so many of us used the Vietnam-era equivalency of MREs. I gained 20 pounds during my three month deployment there from the PI and never knew why until someone told me about the extra calories packed into the rations for the men in the bush.

I'm told that you will burn off about 150 calories an hour riding a motorcycle (don't know where I got that tidbit of knowledge). So, if you're eating MREs at, say 4000 calories a day, just think of the hours you would have to ride to work off the extra calories. Might want to think of another alternative.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My advice would be to buy 1 only and try it first before buying any in quantity. I can see keeping some for an emergency at home but there are too many interesting places to eat along the road to justify taking up valuable stowage space for what is, at best, a semi-palatable field ration whose chief attributes are shelf life and waterproof packaging.

They taste fine if that's all you got, but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
http://www.mreinfo.com/ is one place to go for info on MREs, both military and civilan.
http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/oqmg/ ... ations.htm
is another good place.
You do need water for the heaters. They are a BIG improvement over the C rats of years ago and the LRRP bags. Vegetarian entrees seem to be the best of the lot. Years ago when before we went "hot" we would eat all the C rat poundcake, peanut butter and crackers we could. This would ensure us of not having to get off the tanks and into the bush to answer Mother Natures call. We were good for about 3-4 days. Just before we came back, we chowed down on all the canned fruit we could lay our hands on. If you timed it right, just about the time you hit the hooch area, Mother Nature gave you a BIG call. What a relief. Just don't forget water as you can live a lot longer with water than with out it. :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:wink: :lol:

Topster,
Right to the heart or should I say posterior of the problem. :lol: 8)
I wasn't gonna share that from the get go but I knew one of y'all more seasoned folks would add the more "actual" way things went. :wink:
I miss some of that kind of stuff but the only thing I will never miss is diggin' my own fightin' hole, that's when I wish I was 5'6 versus 6'6 and weighed 180 pounds versus :!: :lol:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the reply. Dont plan on eating many on the road just wanted some in case we get hungry and want to take the easy way out,will be doing some regular cooking and eat out a good bit Also need some for the house in case of the Florida storms. I ant one to sit around and wait and cry where is FEMA. I know the risk of living on the Beach and if it comes I am always ready to take care of my family for a period of time to allow the inter-structure to revamp.

The scrambled eggs in Nam would sure make you loose weight cause if thats all you had you didnt eat, they were that bad

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I've taken MREs on trips to India five times, now. They seem to get harder to find each time. Expect to pay $5 - $15 each.

This is not proven, but was told to me by two different surplus store owners:
I was told the last time I bought them that if you get true military MREs they have probably been obtained illegally. The DOD did a crack down and told all personnel to knock off selling their MREs to surplus stores (a handy way of picking up a few extra bucks for reserves). Some were still being stolen from warehouses. The last I bought, the guy said they were the last that he had, and he did not plan to handle them after that because there had been talk the feds were watching.

You can still get basiclly the same thing (from the same manufactures) at many different outlets, but they are not true MREs.

I've had very few that did not taste great. The excess calories is a worry only if you are sustaining on them for an extended period. They should be no problem for the occasional day-or two (or even several weeks when I went to India).

I'm just glad I'm not living off of them on the front lines, and wish we could make them even better for the guys and gals that are out there defending us.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ate plenty of them after surviving three hurricanes without electricity. They pack their own heat source (just add a few ounces of water to the fuel pack). Be careful, you can burn your fingers on the steam they get so hot. As for calories, there's about 3200 in one meal (these are combat rations you know). I like the spicy ones like the jambalaya and some of the chicken ones. Oriental pepper beef is another good one. You get all the condiments (expecially the spicy ones with the minature Tabassco sauce bottle in it). Tastes great compared to the rations in Nam I had to eat for 13 months. I still have four cases of MRE left over from the last storm. Bon Appetite!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lowell,

I've used these on a couple of camping trips and they're not bad at all.
http://www.heatermeals.com/
They're available from the manufacturer or at most retail outdoor stores (REI, Gander Mountain, Cabela's, etc) and run about $5/meal. Includes plastic utensils, seasoning, and the heater pack.
BTW, turkey loaf was my favorite C-ration.

Ed W.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I don't remember whether the first batch of "combat food" we got was C or K rations but I do remember what was in it:

Mystery meat (something like meatballs)

Unidentified "pudding like" substance (tasted like wet sawdust)

One cookie/cake/bisquit which was so hard it wouldn't even disolve in water.

One wrapped slice of butter - my dad says they used to use this to grease parts of his amphib tank in 1944.

One piece of chocolate. Most of the guys ate this and tossed everything else.

Two Lucky Strike ciggies - unfiltered. Complete with yellow paper.

Label said it was canned the year I was born - 1944! (This was summer of '64.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts