GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Colorado riders, I am a rider from Texas. Is the last part of October too cold to ride this hwy. What is the temperatures about that time of Year. If it is a bad time to come what is a good time to ride this hwy. Thanks for your help with this information. txpegleg:bow::doorag:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I just rode it the day after RG (sunday morning). great ride. i can't help with the original question, but be sure you do ride it when you get the chance/ when the weather cooperates!!!!!

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,125 Posts
There is no way to predict the weather then. Your best bet is to check the online forecasts and see a few days before you plan to come. It could be nice, could be a foot of snow...:?:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Prepare for the worst and you will be fine. You could see snow and 0 deg, It could be a late fall this year and you will have a blast.

good luck

greg

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Colors will be at their peak in the next couple of weeks so get on that scoot and come on up!

This weekend will be awesome with the colors from central Colorado to the north and beautiful weather combined.

As far as late October...

Good luck!!!!

Weather at that time of year changes hour by hour at altitude. It WILL be COLD!

The very best riding is RIGHT NOW!!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
In the middle of June this year it was 43 in Durango when we left and 34 in Silverton when we rode through, it must be cold all the time there

·
Registered
927 Posts
You can't count on being able to ride that highway then. You could come out, and see if you get lucky. If you get unlucky, you might get stranded for a while.

If you live in the Rockies, you can do roads like that in late Fall by waiting for a spell of good weather. If you're coming from afar, you can get disappointed, or worse.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Colors will be at their peak in the next couple of weeks so get on that scoot and come on up!

This weekend will be awesome with the colors from central Colorado to the north and beautiful weather combined.

The very best riding is RIGHT NOW!!!!
What he said. The high country is about to hit peak color. We went over Monarch Pass on the 23rd and 28th. The difference in color was tremendous. Here are a few pics from Friday the 28th.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I rode CO.550 Nov 20th one year and it was a blast. No
traffic and very cool temps.

When I got to SD. I got caught in a snow storm which
was no fun (yes it was" :p) all rides are great fun" So
go enjoy what ever time you can ride it.

I've been on 550 in August in hail & sleet from hell so
any time can bite you in the azz.

Just go enjoy what ever Mother Nature gives ya, it will
leave you with great memories just like every ride
does :thumbup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
We just rode it this last weekend, Saturday 10/1. Wonderful weather and ride. The colors were in full swing then. Now the weatherman is forecasting 6" or more of snow in the San Juan mountains this weekend. That could very well be gone in another week, but so might some/many of the leaves after the snow and wind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts