GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious-does anyone run a set of mini-floorboards on the operators position? My M109R came with a set and I found them very comfortable; they provided multiple positions for the feet. I don't care for heel-toe shifters and so don't really want the full-sized Kuryakyn kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
goldwing

I had a set that did not suit me. But lots of people love them!

I have a question for you. Did you ever settle on a used wing? I know you were looking at couple, but never saw a post about getting one.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Rayjoe

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
A guy I met at Rockies Gold let me sit on his GW with the mini-floorboards. I was surprised at how comfortable they were. I also liked the adjustability, which seemed versatile enough to fit just about anyone's preference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a set that did not suit me. But lots of people love them!

I have a question for you. Did you ever settle on a used wing? I know you were looking at couple, but never saw a post about getting one.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Rayjoe
I picked up the maroon '08 last weekend. Never got a response on the blue one. Enjoying it so far-really impressed with the job Honda did with this engine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm curious-does anyone run a set of mini-floorboards on the operators position? My M109R came with a set and I found them very comfortable; they provided multiple positions for the feet. I don't care for heel-toe shifters and so don't really want the full-sized Kuryakyn kit. Thanks.

My bike came with them. I probably would not otherwise have bought them but I do like them. Combined with ****-O-Pegs and Aeropegs, I can move my feet in many directions. I had floorboards on my GL1200 and my GL1500 and I like these better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I ran the mini boards with a heel toe shift, best of both worlds.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
711 Posts
Anybody have a make and model number for these? They look like something I'd really like. TIA.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have had the minis on the Wing for 4 years in the middle position. Makes my ride much more comfortable. :grin2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought them and like them. I think much better than pegs for me. I also used a heel toe shifter. I since bought the kuryakyn full boards and the difference is as much as was the mini verses pegs. Everybody has a preference and this was mine.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I have and I like them. Now the chrome that Kuryakyn uses is a joke, but as far as functionality goes, they're great.

With a 32" inseam I put my mini-boards in their lowest level position. Then . . . to bring the shift lever into a comfortable alignment with my foot; I used the DHS Racing Linkage. This setup has other advantages as well, but the ability to re-align the Shift Lever is the main reason I bought it.

I would NOT go back to the stock foot pegs!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Bluehighways, thanks for the excellent pix and info. Question, does the left side board interfere with the kickstand's retracted position at all? With the Kury full floorboards on mine, the left side holds the kickstand down just a bit, so that it doesn't fully retract.
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I installed the mini boards for about 6 months and really liked them. Only drawback was that I had to either be careful which boots to use or be extra meticulous getting the taller toe style boots under the shift lever. Very comfortable flat foot position was a vast improvement over the stock pegs. I have been using the full set now for a couple of months with a heel toe shifter. The full board sits higher and negatively impacts ride position/comfort, making me feel more cramped and slid forward. Similar to adjusting a bicycle seat too low. There is not enough room on the full board to rest the entire foot, so I have to keep the foot turned out when not shifting or braking. There was sufficient area to rest my foot on the mini boards, even though a portion of the foot wasn't actually on the board. It still gave the feeling that the entire foot was supported. Installing the mini boards is much easier than the full board with heel toe shifter. The brake side foot pedal lever was a true PITA. I don't want to go back to the mini boards once more just to be sure. I would probably think long and hard about returning to full boards just because of the install difficulty. The positive is that boot style is no longer limited with full boards. I'm getting used to the heel toe setup. I want to give it more time to see which I will end up with. If I had to choose today, I would go back to the mini boards. Hadn't considered using the mini boards with the heel toe shifter. Thanks for the tip. I have ridden over 40 years with standard pegs, and was very pleased trying mini boards. Wish I had tried it sooner. Once I found they could be pivoted up out of the way to help short inseamed folks, it was time to try. Another drawback to the full boards is the kickstand. A kickstand extension is almost a necessity (although very inexpensive and easy to install), and extra impacts to the left shin will be something to overcome as you master the new configuration walking the bike backwards. I resist using the electric reverse. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, or into neutral is a skill I need to improve in, even after a number of months. I couldn't resist trying these full boards when my local dealer was getting rid of their stock of aftermarket parts on the showroom racks. Got the new full set of boards and heel toe shifter for about twice what I paid for mini boards, but half of what a new full sized set and shifter retails at. I installed both sets, so don't have to worry about paying for swapping back and forth if I want to.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Bluehighways, thanks for the excellent pix and info. Question, does the left side board interfere with the kickstand's retracted position at all? With the Kury full floorboards on mine, the left side holds the kickstand down just a bit, so that it doesn't fully retract.
Thanks
Not at all. In fact I have a larger footprint Kickstand and there is no interference what-so-ever with the mini-boards.

When riding aggressively, I do have the occasional opportunity to "sharpen" the edges of the mini-boards. But nothing that is in any way concerning.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've been using mini floorboards for a while now. Mine are mounted in the middle position (see photo with my boot on it) and that fits me well. Also, as you can see on the photos, they are angled forward. To me, that felt more "natural" foot position (I'm 6'3"). To me, that way it's easier to shift gears and use rear brake.

Keep in mind that, when mounted, they are a bit lower than the pegs. Being a taller rider, that helps me a lot for not being cramped. Occasionally I will scrape them but that's not a big deal since they fold up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
759 Posts
Who makes the mini floorboard that is on your bike?

Tisunac
I've been using mini floorboards for a while now. Mine are mounted in the middle position (see photo with my boot on it) and that fits me well. Also, as you can see on the photos, they are angled forward. To me, that felt more "natural" foot position (I'm 6'3"). To me, that way it's easier to shift gears and use rear brake.

Keep in mind that, when mounted, they are a bit lower than the pegs. Being a taller rider, that helps me a lot for not being cramped. Occasionally I will scrape them but that's not a big deal since they fold up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts