GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few posts about mini garage door openers (key fob size or smaller?)

anyone have a link for those?

My current opener has 10 dip switches and is the size of about two decks of cards
... takes up half the left pocket.

thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I got one from Sears, fits on my keychain

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I got two for my OH door opener from www.keylessride.com for only $46 already programmed to my opener. Their opening page touts auto remotes but there is a link there to their door openers.

You can also get a spare remote for your Goldwing there if you're interested. :wink:

Good luck with your quest. I hope this helps. :D

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Wingwing,
I keep a mini remote velcroed under my key switch, I just pull it off in the rain or when I wash it. Mines for a Genie opener, as far as I know they're brand specific and not universal.

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
lots of places carry the remotes but it's surprizing how much they cost, over $20

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
If you have a old opener, chances are you won't find a mini remote to match. BTDT!! I also have the large remote. I keep mine velcroed in the side of the left pass cubby.

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
Dive Master said:
Red, www.keylessride.com does have ones for the old type with the dip switches.
Thanks... I called Stanley a few years ago and they said no. They said I would have to purchase a new receiver to add to my opener if I wanted a mini remote.

Looks like if you order one you have to order it preset. I guess that means you can't change your code after you buy it. I'm okay with the large one. I have it mounted to the inside wall of the left pass cubby/box.

Thanks again.....

·
Registered
679 Posts
I work in a Sears Parts store and we sell the mini door clickers. They are $39.99 plus tax. The dip switch types are insecure and do not exist in a mini size. We still have the large remotes with the dip layout, but we don't recommend them. A feller down in Palm Beach built and sold a device that picks up the codes off the air, allowing the user to program another remote to open that door, thus giving access to your home. Possible different codes are less than 20,000. The digital remotes are capable of more than 100,000,000 different codes, and change the code each time the button is pressed. Each digital remote will open three different doors, and each door will recognize up to three different remotes. They work both on Sears openers, and on Genie openers. Dunno about any other brands. A converter is available from us that will allow digital remotes to work on the old dip type. It's cheaper to buy a new opener ($125 and up).

Ride long and safe..and now you know more than you wanted to know about remotes.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
North Florida said:
I work in a Sears Parts store and we sell the mini door clickers. They are $39.99 plus tax. The dip switch types are insecure and do not exist in a mini size.
Sears was the first place I checked ... (just happened to be there when I thought about it).
The ones there only had 9 dip switch positions.
The salesmen said he'd never seen one with 10 like mine.

It's only a year old but it came with a 12 foot roll up door (commercial type).

thanks to all for your responses.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have a large remote mounted under the fairing, ahead of the right pocket. I wired it into the PTT switch wires, and just push the large lever to raise lower it. It's a PIA to change batteries, but they last a long time. It's also in a zip lock bag to keep it dry. Real hi-tech.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Hey lucky Phil, I did what you did except I used the Wings 12 volts to power the remote, NEVER HAVE TO CHANGE BATTERIES. Just a thought for ya.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gary in Indiana said:
OH door opener from www.keylessride.com ...
Good luck with your quest. I hope this helps.
Keylessride.com had a remote for me (Multi-Code)
Mine has 1 button, theirs has 4 :roll:
but theirs is less than 1/4 the overall dimension that mine is

so for only $26 it's in the mail.

thank you for the info ...

Dennis

·
Registered
750 Posts
Opener

Dennis what kind of opener do you have? I have one for a LiftMaster that has 10 switches like you described. It's about the size of a book of matches. The model # is 64LM. My opener went south and I had to put in one made by Williams Door company so it won't work with the new door. I also have a Keyless entry pad for the same door Model # 66LC.

C

·
0 Posts
wingwing said:
The ones there only had 9 dip switch positions.
The salesmen said he'd never seen one with 10 like mine.
I had a unit with the nine, and the new receiver was a 10. to get mine to work I set either the first dip or the last one to the middle position.
The set the others to match the receiver.
IE your setting the transmitter to ignore one switch position (either the first or the last).
I dont remember which one it was as this was about 12 years agon, and I have moved since then.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Opener

LTH said:
Dennis what kind of opener do you have?.
Mine old one looks nearly identical to this one
Multi-Code

The new one looks like this
New One

I'll let you know if it works when I get it.

Dennis

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wingwing,

I too have an F2P (Flash-to-Pass) opener from Electrical Connection. This unit works great, and you don't have to worry about losing it or getting it wet! Just flash your high beams twice and the door opens or closes.

Yes, it's a bit more expensive than a keyfob remote, but for me, the advantages are well worth it. I just flash my high beams as I pull into my driveway, and by the time I get to the garage, the door is open and the lights are on!

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dcalahan said:
Yes, it's a bit more expensive than a keyfob remote, but for me, the advantages are well worth it.
Dave,
but, isn't that a complete replacement for the garage door opener I have now?

if it is,
then I'd need to get the 3 additional remotes for both of our cars and the truck
... and , well it seems like that is starting to get quite a bit more expensive?
... or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dennis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts