GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined GWRRA last year for a few different reasons. One, I wanted to support a group that is supposed to be about our bike. Two, I liked the roadside assistance. Three, I heard everyone singing the praises of the Gold Book as if it were some sort of new bible.

Anyway, in the past two months I have received two different notices that it was time to renew my membership. Here is where I start to get really disappointed.

The options for renewing do NOT include a basic membership for $45 annually. The check boxes on the form include individual membership with RESCUE PLUS! I don't want/need Rescue Plus. It seems like they are just trying to find a way to get more money out of me for something I don't want. This is misleading at least, and in my mind, intentionally deceptive.

However, to GWRRA credit they do include a note that says that I can renew online. Both times that I have received the renewal notice I have tried to connect to the provided link. Both times, with 2 different browsers, the link has been down and unavailable.

If the GWRRA has 75,000 members (which I believe is a conservative number) then they take in close to $4,000,000 annually. That takes into account family memberships which are offset by the Rescue Plus buyers. I don't know why a company that takes in a LOT of money cannot keep a web site up and running! This is not the only time that I have seen problems with their weebsite and I KNOW that I am no alone in my frustration.

If Lamont can keep this website up then why can't GWRRA?

I will be sending this post to the GWRRA Customer Service and I will post any response that I may receive.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i will never miss that experince, but i did try it, and for sure would never be associated with those money grabbers again

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be easier to just call the 800 number to find out.

Yeah, I did that. Closed on Saturday when I received the notice. I don't hold that against them which is why it is not part of my rant.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If ya pull a trailer with your Wing or not you can join the Good Sam Club for their deal.
The Admiral just signed us up with them as we are members for our TimeOut trailer and the camping discounts.
Their towing covers everything we drive, we will get a roll on/off for the Wing and trailer so for us it makes great sense.
GWRRA expires this Spring, will not up for ANY REASON with them period. HRCA doesn't do much for me either, never did AMA and haven't heard much either way there.

The Gold Book is a good deal and after that it goes to **** real quick for anything else. (my .02 cents) :popcorn:

The GL1800riders list looks darn good and the price for all the info/experience can't be beat and I am there with that.:thumbup:

Maybe ya did not have on yer vest full of pins when ya were workin' on this problem which would short circuit the whole deal. :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
I belong to HRCA and AMA. I don't consider GWRRA a viable alternative mainly because I am not a very social rider and don't need a leather vest with a bunch of patches on it.

I am disappointed in HRCA because they have dropped the roadside assistance. I do like the $75 reimbursement for attending a MCF course, but I'm not convinced that will be enough for me to continue this membership.

I joined the AMA mainly to support their efforts in M/C related legislation. I think the cost is well worth my support at any level for the efforts they put forth on these issues alone.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
As soon as you said GWRRA I lost interest. I was a member for a L O N G time.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
As soon as you said GWRRA I lost interest. I was a member for a L O N G time.

Me too, but not any longer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also left this year. I felt that WW was an absolute waist of money and felt it was time to stop enriching the family business. Especially since they were providing less and less value.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Never understood the concept of paying for a group... With some of the people we've come across, it's almost like they needed the GWRRA to have any friends... Very political, really petty... Held the HRCA because I'd get some pretty good discounts at dealers, but they also give an AMA discount so it's a moot point...

Dave is right, the best roadside is a laptop computer.. The one issue I had on the road with a pooched tire in ST. Louis was answered quickly by many here on this board!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just mailed my renewal in a couple wks. ago and there was a $45.00 option on mine. I have been a member since 2000 and always renew one yr. at a time. I received my membership package a couple days ago. Look closer at your material. It might be different from mine but probably not.

·
Registered
608 Posts
After ranting on them and joining for the roadside insurance, they have got the last of my money!!!!And yes they are hard to get a hold off by the 800 number. I have tried.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:I tried GWRRA for 1 year :x that dawg only gets to bite me once :eek:4: were done with that.....
ps: I spend my $$$ w/ AMA, a much better organization....

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Yeah, I did that. Closed on Saturday when I received the notice. I don't hold that against them which is why it is not part of my rant.
I had the same problem with the online renewal but I went back a couple days later and it worked just fine. I don't know why the problems keep occurring though.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to:

Take a nap?

Needs a cookie?

Not getting enough fiber in their diet ?

Needs a hug?

:joke::joke:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I recently joined the GWRRA and am OK about the $45. Still being new, I do not have an understanding about what is so bad about this organization. The Gold Book is a great aid to help people when they are stranded or to simply hook up with folks when traveling. I'm happy to have the opportunity to put my name in there in order to help a fellow Winger out in a time of need. Not being much on patches, pins and vests doesn't seem to be a problem, as most folks don't wear that stuff unless they are attending conventions or other large scale functions. As time goes on, maybe I will find out what the big problem is and deal with it. At this time, I'm happy to pay the $45 to put myself in position to go pick up a Winger and a broken bike. If I ever break down, it will be nice to see a friendly face. For me, its a donation to a good cause.

·
Registered
126 Posts
:agree: with 3Putt

1 - 20 of 116 Posts