GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of someone having a Mini stroke , didn't do any damage . Are they still riding ?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Last year on the way home from California I had a small stroke, Brain Anurism, rode from Barstow to Fort Worth Tx. poor vision, hell of a headache when I got home they put me in the Hospital for 11 days. Dr. said I was one blessed soul because most people either die or have some kind of mental disability after one of these(no jokes please) Have been back on the scoot ever since they let me out of the hospital , even did another 9 day ride. Just take your meds and monitor your self. :D :x
I did notice that my tolerance for the heat has went down some.
Just take better care of yourself and remember it is just your body saying slow down a little. Good Luck hope you are as lucky as I was.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
In a nut shell- Yes to all your questions.

I would imagine there are different degrees/levels of mini-strokes.

Consult with your Doctor as far as the riding situation goes, and see what he /she says.

I'm assuming you had a mini stroke, if so I hope all is well or that you are on the mend, and hope you don't have anymore problems in the future. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
hutch, mini strokes,or T.I.A's (transient ischemic attachs) are usually caused by one of two things. Eighter a blockage to an artery in the brain,or by bleeding in the brain. If there is blockage, then the heart or neck are usaully the source. If bleeding, then an aneurism( weakness in a blood vessel wall) is usually the sorce. THE SYMPOTMS SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED!!! Many ,especially men, will be in denial that anything is wrong. If you think you had a ministroke,see your MD ASAP. Most of these are diagnosable,and treatable. Good luck,and Regards Mark

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to the T.I.A clinic on Friday :shock: I 'm just worried , likley over nothing . I;m hopeing it was just a pinched nerve :oops: I'm a very fit person who runs every day but I am type 2 and 51 years old . I guess it cant hurt to have all the tests .

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hutch,

Unfortunately, The tests for a TIA are an MRI. If nothing shows up in the MRI and you exhibited symptoms of a stroke it will be deemed as a Mini-Stroke(TIA). This happened to me in May, however there is a gotcha. The determination of a TIA is pretty iffy IMHO. It turns out that the treatment for a mini stroke is one low dosage asprin per day. Unless you have a stomach ulser (or stomach problems) it's not a bad idea to do it anyways. In my case the ultrasound of the carotid arteries showed them clean as a whistle. So I pushed my doctor and found I had an autoimmune disease called Mysthenia Gravis. It's pretty rare.

I guess my point is "Don't fool with this"! Get yourself to a doctor and have him/her evaluate your situation.

Good Luck!
FF

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Uh why then did they do 4 follow CAT scans to make sure my clot was disolving?, they also did the die thing using the femural artery, got to watch them do it the second time, the first time I was under getting ready for surgery. They thought they were going in and do router rooter on me but the vessel obliterated itself. I had a pool of blood the size of a .25 peice in my lower right brain area, These thing can do you a lot of harm go get it checked out.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
So what's the procedure if you have a blockage in the main neck artery ?
Roto router ? Or would it depend on the amount of blockage etc. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mini strokes

Like everyone else has said. Make sure your Dr. is on it. I had four of them over a two year period. The last one was just over 12 months ago. Yes, I still ride and yes I am lucky. The worst permanent deal with me is long term memory. I have a great two week rolling window, but beyond that the things I remember were either last month or 40 years ago and it is hard to tell the difference. Planning ahead is the same. Until something gets within that two week window I think of it as way off in the future.

I have had a lot of medical care and no new ones for a year. Every medical event is different for each person, but a TIA or several of them does not always mean the end of riding.

It does not seem to have affected my ability to ride, but I have been careful about pushing the envelope because I do not want to learn the hard way that some little response has been affected that I did not realize.

Get it treated and enjoy riding.

·
Registered
762 Posts
hutch said:
Has anyone heard of someone having a Mini stroke , didn't do any damage . Are they still riding ?
I've had 3 heart attacks died on one of em and I still ride. Why would you not?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Mike L said:
So what's the procedure if you have a blockage in the main neck artery ?
Roto router ? Or would it depend on the amount of blockage etc. ?
Depends on the amount of blockage. It's not always a clear cut proceedure. My Dad got Miastia Gravis from it and a friend of mine 54 died 2 weeks after it was done., I don't know if it was directly related to the surgery or not. He just had a massive stroke

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hutch,

I am not trying to top anyone here, but this is my story. I had a mini stroke at age 39, (1990) my first heat attack at age 45 (1996) and then two more heart attacks in a 24 hour period just over two years ago. Will soon be three years this November.

I was not riding at the time I had the stroke or first heart attack. I never even gave it a second thought when I decided to ride. Now after the two in a 24 hour period I did give it some thought and decided after talking to my cardiologist that I would continue on with it. There are no gaurantees and only the man upstairs knows for sure. I would have missed some great trips and meeting some fine people if I had quit. Now if I start to have problems and my doctor says "hang it up" I will. As a matter of fact he encourages me to do more. At one time he wanted me to think about dissability and I told him NO>>>>>>>>> that was not in the picture..

Just do what the doctor says and always take your medication if he puts you on it.

Good luck and keep us posted...

·
Registered
261 Posts
TOP you DON"T get MG from a stroke!

MikeL, They do extensive tests on you. SOmetimes if the blockage isn't too bad they will prescribe plavix, or cumitin, or heprin (Some sort of blood thinners)

FF

·
Registered
762 Posts
FastFreddie said:
TOP you DON"T get MG from a stroke!

MikeL, They do extensive tests on you. SOmetimes if the blockage isn't too bad they will prescribe plavix, or cumitin, or heprin (Some sort of blood thinners)

FF
I know you don't get MG from a stroke he got after surgery to his corotids
I did not spell that correctly, it was from an overdose of the anestesia. Where the heck is the spell check on this page

·
Registered
464 Posts
hutch said:
A mini or TIA is a warning that your probably gonna have a full blowner within a year. Some people, including myself, have no warnings and go right into a full blown stroke but does not last long enough to do any real damage. The right side of my body experienced numbness upon awakening. At first i thought my leg was asleep and thought i would just walk it off. After about three laps up and down the hall, i noticed i had a tingling also in my upper extreams. Thats when i decided this wasn't a good deal. Went to the hospital and was released about 12 hours later with the stroke diagnosis. Almost six years later and i still have numbness inthe front half of right foot and tingling all the way through my face. I was very lucky to have come out with only these residual effects. Now i take a handfull of medicine, watch my diet, try to excercise and getting ready to celebrate six anniversary of quitting smoking after thirty-six years of doing so. If you feel funny, check it out. If you don't feel funny, get regular checkups anyway. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts