GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a highway speed ride of 3500+ rpm for a while, got off the highway and just a minute or two later shut it down in a parking lot.

After 10-15 minutes in the store got back on,fired her up, and the clutch was not nearly as precise or positive as earlier. Felt like I needed a lot more feathering to get the bike to move. Didn't splain that well but it's the best I can do, rented fingers. LOL

Was it due to the built up heat from the highway run not having a chance to get out of the engine cause I shut it off?

Was fine again this morning after fully cooling off.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Here's a wild guess. The fluid expanded a bit from the heat.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The fluid sucks up moisture and will expand with heat.
Change your fluid every 2 years (at least) and use a high quality DOT-4.
May I start another fluid war and suggest Amsoil? Valvolene synthetic works well also and you can find it at Wallyworld.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arn Butt Bill said:
The fluid sucks up moisture and will expand with heat.
May I start another fluid war and suggest Amsoil? Valvolene synthetic works well also and you can find it at Wallyworld.
Just changed the clutch fluid about 2k miles ago with a high quality fluid, can't recall specifics.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Great White Wing said:
[quote="Arn Butt Bill":22glbmhi]The fluid sucks up moisture and will expand with heat.
Just changed the clutch fluid about 2k miles ago with a high quality fluid, can't recall specifics.[/quote:22glbmhi]Ooooooo. Maybe you dun flocked it up? :shock:
If you put in DOT-5 by mistake, ooops --- that won't mix with 3 or 4 and will gum-up the gallies. Silicone bad.
Or maybe you didn't bleed it well or close the banjo bleeder all the way?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arn Butt Bill said:
[quote="Great White Wing":btm5lk1y][quote="Arn Butt Bill":btm5lk1y]The fluid sucks up moisture and will expand with heat.
Just changed the clutch fluid about 2k miles ago with a high quality fluid, can't recall specifics.[/quote:btm5lk1y]Ooooooo. Maybe you dun flocked it up? :shock:
If you put in DOT-5 by mistake, ooops --- that won't mix with 3 or 4 and will gum-up the gallies. Silicone bad.
Or maybe you didn't bleed it well or close the banjo bleeder all the way?[/quote:btm5lk1y]

Definately DOT 4 and was the best version available. Just couldn't recall if it's full synthetic, a blend and what brand but was a name brand. I am fully aware of DOT 4 and 5 not playing well together.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The discussion about the hydraulic fluid (DOT4) is correct and may be a factor. But, the clutch itself operates within the engine oil. So, the oil temperature, viscosity, and general condition can also be contributing factors to the "feel" of the clutch.
33K miles with my clutch running in AMSOIL has not caused me any concern. I just finished a 3,600 mile trip mostly on the super slab without any issues at all.
Change the oil that lubricates both your engine and clutch and see if that helps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I thought mine did that once. It was in second gear!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wingriderz said:
Dare I ask? Are you using that Rotella syn oil in the crankcase. I had the same issue at high temps using the Rotella syn oil? Changed it to amsoil and it cured the clutch problem.
Well yes I am using Shell. Hmmmmm

Like I said it's perfecty fine now, was just a temporary issue. It must have been fine after a few minutes since I don't recall any more fade on the remainderof the trip home.

Got me thinking about my oil choice now.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I never had any clutch weirdness with Rotella-T 5w-40; I know people that have used it for over 100K miles in their 'Wings successfully without clutch problems.
I'd say to relax about that one and bark up another tree.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
PoleCat said:
Any moly in Rotella?
Nope; works great. Comes out clean and everything.
Tommy in Aztec has used it for over 160,000 of his 200,000 miles; I think Ed Jenkins used it in his 190,000 mile bike too.
But it's not purple and it doesn't cost much...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Arn Butt Bill said:
I never had any clutch weirdness with Rotella-T 5w-40; I know people that have used it for over 100K miles in their 'Wings successfully without clutch problems.
I'd say to relax about that one and bark up another tree.
The "potential" issue is a temporary one in an extreme condition. I was going very fast for 45 minutes and shut her done pretty quickly thereafter. Only let it sit for 10-15 minutes after I restarted it the very hot oil seemed to cause a minor clutch fade (maybe). It might have happened with any oil, who knows?

I was trying to confirm or deny this theory.

I hope this doesn't turn into a hot oil thread.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Arnbut Bil has it right for me, 190K on the 01 I traded in, and it was on Shell Rotella Syn for most of that time. It will go in the new one as soon as i get a few miles on it. All of the semi-drivers around here grab it up on Wallys shelf before you can get to it.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 2,000 miles

·
Registered
377 Posts
It does make the clutch feel different, when you don't know you are in second! :oops:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
PoleCat said:
Any moly in Rotella?
Nope; works great. Comes out clean and everything.
Tommy in Aztec has used it for over 160,000 of his 200,000 miles; I think Ed Jenkins used it in his 190,000 mile bike too.
But it's not purple and it doesn't cost much...
Come on, Bill! Comes out clean? CLEAN? Well if it does, then you have some serious issues with the innards of your engine. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts