GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I check the tires after the ride this weekend and find a cut on the rear about 1 1/2" off center, 1/4" wide and 3/8" to 7/16" deep. Must have been a sharp rock as I dug out the small pieces. 6400 miles on the Dunlop 250's and no other problems. Normal wear. The cords are much deeper I would think.

Safe to use or scrap it?

·
Registered
552 Posts
boatdrvrpro said:
So I check the tires after the ride this weekend and find a cut on the rear about 1 1/2" off center, 1/4" wide and 3/8" to 7/16" deep. Must have been a sharp rock as I dug out the small pieces. 6400 miles on the Dunlop 250's and no other problems. Normal wear. The cords are much deeper I would think.

Safe to use or scrap it?
Post some pics and I'll consult with our resident tire engineers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tire cut

One quarter inch is not a large cut. The rule is as long as tire cord is not exposed or damaged you'll be ok. Looking at the picture, if it's not leaking, run it. I wouldn't worry bout it. My opinion.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Had a cut on my ft tire on my shadow that looks alot like that, ran for almost 4000 miles till i hit the wear bars, no problem. you got a cool job, nice tug, I was in the coast guard in rough water rescue, big fun. love to talk sometime. kevbru

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I would keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks. If it doesn't show "any" air loss I would just ride it.

JMHO

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two words: Duct tape. :roll:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
7/16" deep is almost 1/2 inch....do you mean 7/32" deep.......I don't think the tire is almost 1/2 inch thick...unless you are measuring it at an angle....but straight in seems awful deep!!!!!!!!!

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
I would be more worried about showing folks them chicken strips. :lol:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a small screwdriver to bottom out the cut; it's between 3/8" and 7'16" straight in. I'm thinking the the tire is history for my piece of mind and the S.O.'s.

Tug is 10400 hp; twin azimuth stern drive, 145', 23' draft, 150 ton bollard pull. Keeping those oil tankers in line.

Chicken strips? The last time I played chicken was when the bones lost 3/4" on the right leg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts