GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the road and today when I inspected my front tire I noticed a damaged area about the size of a dime in the area that contacts the pavement, must have hit some debris? There is no leak or bubble, just a small bruise and am just being paranoid, I know, but want any comments . These tires are built quite strong, steel woven belt and all...any concern on this type of minor damage? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I would not take any chances with a front tire. If you are not sure theres not any damage i would take it off.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If you can see it on the outside, I'd sure want a look at the inside.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Front tires are cheap and I would replace it in a heartbeat and then be able to concentrate, and enjoy, on my next all day ride.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a little blurred but here it is.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
This is a little blurred but here it is.
Hard to say what that is, or what caused it, if it wears back down smooth, I guess I wouldn't worry to much.
If it is still showing after 3-4 hundred miles, I'd get a look inside that tire.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't parked on something that made that mark?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It appears that you have almost full tread (7/32") or something just shy of full tread. The dimple appears to be less than 1/32". given that, logic would weem to say it doesn't penetrate the entire tire (no pun intended).

I wouldn't worry about it but keep my eye on it. If it stays after another 2-3K miles, it should be considered a defective tire (softer rubber than spec'ed) and returned to your dealer, or whoever installed it/sold it to you.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I am on the road and today when I inspected my front tire I noticed a damaged area about the size of a dime in the area that contacts the pavement, must have hit some debris? There is no leak or bubble, just a small bruise and am just being paranoid, I know, but want any comments . These tires are built quite strong, steel woven belt and all...any concern on this type of minor damage? Thanks.
If you hit something hard enough to damage the tire you would have felt it through the grips. A small rock or such can cause that type mark. If it were mine I'd run it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno, I am real particular about tires.

I would just watch it for a bit, might be a harmless road scuff, might be an air bubble in the tread.

Pretty sure it is not dangerous at the moment, so I would just watch it , check it each day, if it starts to open up more, throw the tire away, if it wears away, relax.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Do front tires delaminate?

If so, I'd watch it very close.

And if you have to watch it that close, why not spend the money to have peace of mind? Change it.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
I have had bruises like the above all the time. IMHO no worries, and I am anal about tires.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Based on the picture.... I am not even sure why this is an issue.

Tires pick up scuffs like that ALL the time

There is NO damage. Like many have said, it's likely a stone that
slid out and left a mark behind.

Relax and you could get 20K out of that tire :cool:

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
First off, good on you for examining your tires!

Next, given that you are properly attentive, that little abrasion concerns me not one itty-bit and it will be gone after your next spirited flog on the twisties. If, in the very unlikely event, it is the "tip of the iceberg", the first bloom of an internal defect, your inspections will note that and then you can have it examined form the inside. Always be alert to ride quality and stop if it feels "funny" or odd in any way, that is just as important as pre-ride inspection.

Last, what steel belts are you talking about? I have run original Bridgestone Excedra, early version Dunslip E-3, Avon Venom R, Metzeler 880, Avon Cobra, and curent generation Bridgestone Excedra and no steel belts in any of those. Lots of steel wire in the beads though. Aramid, nylon, rayon, and such; but no steel so far as I am aware.

prs

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Can't see the cut, but I'm sure it's less than the big deep cut purposely put there by the manufacturer about an inch above it.

If it's a tiny cut and you are concerned about it spreading, use some glue out of a puncture repair kit and you'll not be able to find it after your next ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts