GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put E3s on my bike and the front tire loses about 2-3 psi per day. I dismounted the tire to check for debris under the bead but found nothing foreign there. I did have the thin film of rubber (moulding release?) which I carefully removed thinking it might be causing the leak. Just got it back on and still have the leaks. Nothing large but several places where 1/32-1/64" bubbles appear. I raised the pressure to 55 to try to seat the bead better but did not help. Has anyone had that problem? If so, what is the answer?
TIA
Chuck

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You will need to clean the RIM and the tire if you have not already done that. the slightest foriegn matter under there can cause it to leak. There is some kind of substnace tou can put along the tire bead to help seat/seal it but cant't remember what it is called, amybe someone else will chime in with and answer. No it is not soap, it is made for mounting tires and the pro's use it to clean and seal the beads. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Some people use WD-40. I guess one day that's all that they had and it worked so good they have been staying with it.

Cleaning the inside of the rim with degreaser and a Scotchbrite pad is the preferred technique by many.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If you have cleaned the rim and tire/bead and it still leaks, You might want to put a little "Bead Seal" on the rim and tire bead area.

A leak of this nature on a Wing is very uncommon! Check the rim for any blemishes or marks in the bead seal area as well. If you have any, they can be filed out, easily.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I know you said you are getting bubbles...
and this probably goes without saying...
but don't forget to check the valve and valveStem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts