GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Yes they are adjustable, or rather the glass in them is adjustable. Just push on a corner of the glass to adjust them within their range. Good luck!

Steve McTeer
NRV, Va.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The whole rear view mirror will also pivot backward and forward. Keeps it from getting snapped off if you should hit something.

Walt

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
You can loosen the mirror screw under the mirrors a bit. Adjust them where you want and retighten the screw.

Works for me! :thumbup:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I know they feel like they are welded in place, but they do move. They are just stiff as all heck.

Loosening the screw didn't seem to do much on mine, but mine might be an exceptional case.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Had to push pretty hard, then readjust after I went to far.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've been wrong lots of times before, but I don't think the screw on the bottom has anything to do with how tight the glass is to turn - I wish it did cause mine are too loose.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I've been wrong lots of times before, but I don't think the screw on the bottom has anything to do with how tight the glass is to turn - I wish it did cause mine are too loose.
There was a post earlier about folding the mirror back and tightening the 3 phillips head screws.

T

·
0 Posts
Yes the mirror rotates on a slot and the clip the clip that holds the mirror also moves. I just loosened mint the other day and got a lot more tilt upwards which I needed.
Take them apart and you will see, that clip is the key where its tightened down on the slot of the mirror.
When I installed the Muth mirrors I got it pushed to far forward leaving me a poor angle viewing upwards.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
There was a post earlier about folding the mirror back and tightening the 3 phillips head screws.
Again, I could be wrong, but those three screws hold the whole mirror housing on. Don't think they have anything to do with the tightness of the glass in the housing.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Again, I could be wrong, but those three screws hold the whole mirror housing on. Don't think they have anything to do with the tightness of the glass in the housing.
If they are loose, they can cause the mirror to vibrate. Just because the mirror vibrates doesn't mean they're loose.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Should go that route and do break it

Well didn't know just how thick the glass was but I did break one of the mirrors and then found out that you can't just order the glass. They want to sell you the whole housing from anywhere between $176.00-$128.85. I did find a old guy here in Baltimore that does hand cut mirrors for a goldwing for $10.00. He did a hell of a job in two days. To look at it you can't tell one from the other. Anyone interested send me a pm and I'll dig up the name and address for you.

B

·
0 Posts
Rather than replace them with stock, put a set of Muth signal mirrors on. They put the turn signals in the mirrors just like many cars have. Have had them on both my wings and love the extra visability.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If they are loose, they can cause the mirror to vibrate. Just because the mirror vibrates doesn't mean they're loose.
Yep, get it.

Jasman, I bought a housing only from Hal to replace the scratched one on my 03 when I bought it. The housing and mirror can be bought separately, but you're not the first one to be told incorrectly.

B

·
0 Posts
Some WD-40 on the inside friction points of plastic will free the mirror up nicely. You may have to take the mirror off to do this but you only need to do it once. A silicone or graphite grease will work too and may last longer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts