GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike in for some work at the honda shop and when I picked it up they told me that the mirror was broken and would not stay put. That is kinda funny because I drove 5 hours to get the bike there and the mirror was just find then. Any way, they said that there are no parts that you can order to fix it and you have to replace the whole mirror. So $250 later the new mirror came in the mail and I took off the old one. When the mirror is bumped it moves to the front or back and the only thing that keeps the mirror in place is a little retainer cap. Photo attached. This little thing looks like a $.20 piece. Do any of you out there know if you can just order the retainer cap to fix the mirror?
keeper.jpg

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I took my bike in for some work at the honda shop and when I picked it up they told me that the mirror was broken and would not stay put. That is kinda funny because I drove 5 hours to get the bike there and the mirror was just find then. Any way, they said that there are no parts that you can order to fix it and you have to replace the whole mirror. So $250 later the new mirror came in the mail and I took off the old one. When the mirror is bumped it moves to the front or back and the only thing that keeps the mirror in place is a little retainer cap. Photo attached. This little thing looks like a $.20 piece. Do any of you out there know if you can just order the retainer cap to fix the mirror?
View attachment 16531

Try Home Depot or and Auto parts store..

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
View attachment 16531

I would of raised cane I'll tell you.Sucks that they can't admit they screwed up your mirror by accident instead of blaming it on "It was that way when it came in" BS.

Try here they have them in Metric. http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=e5b0fe

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would of raised cane I'll tell you.Sucks that they can't admit they screwed up your mirror by accident instead of blaming it on "It was that way when it came in" BS.

Try here they have them in Metric. http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=e5b0fe
Do you think this one is metric? I have no ideas on metric sizes but the post it fits on appears to be about 1/2 inch.
I did raise cane but what can you do? I got back home after picking up my bike and the XM radio did not work either so I tore the bike appart and found that they cut the antena wire in two so they could do something else. That really ticked me off because it was a special peice antena and had to salder it together and I am no good at that.
Wow my spelling.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Do you think this one is metric? I have no ideas on metric sizes but the post it fits on appears to be about 1/2 inch.
I did raise cane but what can you do? I got back home after picking up my bike and the XM radio did not work either so I tore the bike appart and found that they cut the antena wire in two so they could do something else. That really ticked me off because it was a special peice antena and had to salder it together and I am no good at that.
Wow my spelling.
Yes you need a 14mm for the shaft size.

I don't see it listed on that site?.You may have to call them for a 14mm.

If you look at yours you'll see a slot in the shaft where the Push nut locks into.That is the 14mm that you need to lock the push nut onto the shaft.

I suggest using a socket that fits over both the shaft and push nut and then using a C-Clamp.Then tighten the clamp until you hear the push nut click into place seeing the socket will be covering the shaft.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What were they supposed to be breaking, I mean fixing, while it was in there?
Well for the past 3 years my bike would overheat but not all the time. I have had it into 3 different shops when it was under warrantee and they could not find anything. In fact they charged me each time saying that if they can not find anything wrong then they need to charge for the time. Well now that the warrantee is off, SURPRISE!!!!! they found what was the problem. When the bike got hot the water was not going from the resivoir to the radiator because a little tube at the top of the resevoir was cracked. So they tore my whole bike apart to find out that it was a $24 part. When I picked my bike up I got on and couldn't find the intercom cord. so I asked them what happened to it and they began tearing the whole top of my bike apart again to find it. That is when they told me that the mirror was broken. They never mentioned that they did not replace one of my seat bolts and that my backrest was put on wrong and came off while I was on my way home. They never mentioned the fact that they cut my XM wire in half. But they did mention the mirror so thats good.
I am not happy but I have no recourse that I know of. There are olny 3 honda shops within a 5 hour driving time from my house. All 3 have screwed me more than once.
Sorry for the long answer.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Da_n, that sucks! Did I mention, "I hate dealer's hair brained mechanics!" Recourse or not I would call the owner of the place and let them know what a bunch of screw ups they have working for them.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Da_n, that sucks! Did I mention, "I hate dealer's hair brained mechanics!" Recourse or not I would call the owner of the place and let them know what a bunch of screw ups they have working for them.
Ya guess what? The guy that was helping me get out the door was the owner. I am so fed up with the sharks at the honda shops here. I really do not mind paying for the service as long as it is honest and good service.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Wow, what a crappy dealer. But what are you going to do (besides raise he!!) when they say it came in that way. Hope you have better luck going forward.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What side did they screw up.Left or right?? I have a right mount.Part is here between the lens and glass. http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=151138&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2004&fveh=3505

PM me if insterested?.
Thank you Rocky but I already purchased the new whole unit as I was told that was the only way to fix it. I am just looking for the retainer clip that holds the whole unit together just in case I need another one someday or find someone that needs it. I don' t know if I explained very well what I really needed but it is the little clip that is in the photo. It is what holds the parts together so it moves when the mirror is bumped but then goes back into place because it has a spring that holds it pretty tight. The clip holds the mirror on the mounting bracket.
Oops it is the right side mirror.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
On a similar subject the dumb honda cd maint manual says

FRONT TURN SIGNAL LIGHT​
BULB REPLACEMENT​
Remove the screw and mirror from the rearview​
mirror housing.

NOw it would be nice if they would tell you what screw, I am guessing that it is the screw that holds my lower air deflectors on and then the mirror will come off so that I can reach in and replace the bulb that has burned out? Am I guessing correctly??

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
thanks now is that a 3157 dual filiment white all glass bayonette bulb like the turn signals in my motorhome or a 1157 metal twist base like my pickup

Found that it is fairly simple except for the air wings that replaced the factory bolt and it is the all glass 7443 dual filiment. Thanks D

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
To be honest, I've never had to take one out of the housing. Someone else posted that they are a 7443, clear, wedge. :shrug:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thank you Rocky but I already purchased the new whole unit as I was told that was the only way to fix it. I am just looking for the retainer clip that holds the whole unit together just in case I need another one someday or find someone that needs it. I don' t know if I explained very well what I really needed but it is the little clip that is in the photo. It is what holds the parts together so it moves when the mirror is bumped but then goes back into place because it has a spring that holds it pretty tight. The clip holds the mirror on the mounting bracket.
Oops it is the right side mirror.
It's a right side too.Let me know if you change your mind.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Who is the dealer, in case I run into a problem in your part of the country. :doorag:

·
Registered
584 Posts
To be honest, I've never had to take one out of the housing. Someone else posted that they are a 7443, clear, wedge. :shrug:

Correct. Unless you have the clear lens, then they are orange.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Take the old one into an electronics store they should have some. They use that type of stuff to hold plastic panels together on electronic equipment..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts