GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I order a set of mirrors with the turn arrow in them. Is it a tough job? I belive them come tommorrow.And do I need special tools? Thanks Roger :lol:

W

·
0 Posts
I order a set of mirrors with the turn arrow in them. Is it a tough job? I belive them come tommorrow.And do I need special tools? Thanks Roger :lol:
Not unless you consider a phillips screwdriver a special tool. :lol:

The mirror glass comes out by loosening a phillips screw in the bottom of the mirror housing (it's not necessary to completely remove the screw). You need to pull back the rubber gasket where the mirror attaches to the fairing so that you can plug in the wires. The wiring comes with the connectors already attached so it's a simple plug-in connection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wrapped all my wiring with black electrical tape ... When I installed my Muth mirrors , I could see the wires ( green and yellow , i think ) .. So , i had to remove them mirrors and wrap the wire ....

Scott
08 DARK RED COMFORT / NAVI ....

·
Registered
679 Posts
What's the secret to unplugging the turn signal wiring from the connector which runs from inside the fairing? Is there a special tool needed or what?

·
Registered
137 Posts
mirror removing

...just use a thin spade screwdriver to lift the tabs on the plug// if you take the screws off, I used putty onnthe tip of the screwdriver as not to drop the screws when putting them back.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks starcraft,
I was trying to squeeze the tabs together but the connector would not budge. Didn't occur to me to raise the tabs. Where are the screws you are talking about?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Roger, I had to take the entire mirror off to fit the bike in a trailer, there are 3 screws holding it, two of them were easy with a strait phillips but the third I found it easier with a right angle driver, as not to scratch the paint on the edge then to put them back , used he putty on the tip.

W

·
0 Posts
I have to admit that I've had my Muth mirrors sitting in the box for a while and finally got around to installing them last night. I am not at all impressed with the fit. Fortunately, I had two much longer screws or I wouldn't have been able to tighten them - the included screws couldn't be started in the cheap fold-over flat nut once the mirror was positioned in the bracket (the OEM plastic bracket is too thick). Those nuts look like something GM would use. I had to carefully bend the bottom tabs to even get the bracket to push in far enough to line up with the hole in the bottom of the housing. The mirror glass doesn't sit as recessed as the original mirror and yet the range of adjustment is significantly smaller - I can't adjust them outward enough to avoid looking at my hands in half the mirror.

The LEDs are bright and the mirror is nicely finished with good optical clarity but I think a lot more effort could have been put into the mounting design. And let's not even mention the lack of edging on the mirror that makes them look unfinished - especially since they stick out so far compared to stock.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Installed mine yesterday - agree with prior post that the screws are too short. I was able to get them to fit - but it was a hassle. I did wrap the wires with electrical tape based on comments in this post. Install went well - took me about an hour. Would be easier the second time. Pretty simple stuff.

I also purchased Clear Alternatives "clear" turn signal lenses, with the intent of changing them when I did the mirrors. I ultimately did not change the lenses, as they looked cheap when compared to the OEM amber lenses.

W

·
0 Posts
What color is the bike your replacing the mirrors on. I'm looking for mirrors for my dark red.
These aren't complete mirror assemblies like they were for the 1500. Only the mirror glass has to be changed on an 1800.

·
Registered
898 Posts
:thumbup:Very simple install,just did mine a few weeks ago and added baker hand wings as well!! if you have any problems e-mail me at [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts