GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caution all about purchasing replacement mirrors with LEDs from EBAY, ordered and ended up returning both sets because of the terrible quality. Obvious that these are cheap mirrors from China that are modified in someone's garage. They refused to give me a full refund on the second set. Ended up installing the original OEM mirrors taken out. EBAY sellers like this give all a bad taste when buying something from Ebay, seller is a no name out of AZ that offers them for $99.00.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kuryakyn leds that mount to the end of the mirror housing

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Stick with MUTH mirrors. THE BEST

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Been burned before with Chinese crap on Ebay, never again.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Bought the Muth from Gary in Indiana , not sure if he's still selling but worth a shot...

·
Registered
35 Posts
LED Mirrors.

Caution all about purchasing replacement mirrors with LEDs from EBAY, ordered and ended up returning both sets because of the terrible quality. Obvious that these are cheap mirrors from China that are modified in someone's garage. They refused to give me a full refund on the second set. Ended up installing the original OEM mirrors taken out. EBAY sellers like this give all a bad taste when buying something from Ebay, seller is a no name out of AZ that offers them for $99.00.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kuryakyn leds that mount to the end of the mirror housing
I purchased the Muth 5 LED mirrors with the blue tint,love them. The Muth mirror has more outward adjustment than the stock mirror which works for me. I chose the 5 LED based on user reviews. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
rasdes,
Too bad about your dealings with that company. I've had pretty good luck with most ebay sellers. I think I've only had to send one item back in all my years of purchasing on ebay. But, every once in a while, something goes bad. Anyway, I'm not sure how handy you are with some simple tools, soldering iron/gun etc. but, I, along with a few others on here have made our own LED turn signal mirrors. It wasn't very hard at all. It was about a 1/2 days work and, fun at the same time. The total cost I've got into those mirrors is about $6-$8 dollars if I recall.

If you'd like to know more, PM me and I'd be glad to explain how I did it. I didn't create the idea, I simply used another "do-it-yourselfers" idea and illustrated how I did it. That system works flawlessly.
Scott

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I purchased the Muth 5 LED mirrors with the blue tint,love them. The Muth mirror has more outward adjustment than the stock mirror which works for me. I chose the 5 LED based on user reviews. Good luck.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
874 Posts
To answer the OP question...I have the stick on turn leds that Kury/BBP sells (forget which one) and IMHO they work pretty well. A LOT cheaper than the MUTHS but obviously not quite as good.

I would be interested in seeing how the guys that did modify the stock mirrores did it... not the wiring/led part (got that) but the drilling of the mirrors. I assume thy used a drill bit with a drill stop and carefully and slowly drilled just through the plastic. My question is do you have to scrape the glass for the leds to shine through?

Fireup...I am taking you up on your offer...How you do it?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Just put the Muths in, be done with it and go riding.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If I was rolling in spare cash I would...and be riding a 2014 airbag with no miles on it not an 01 with 200K. (Not that I don't LOVE my 01.) But if someone wants to buy them for me I will be more than willing to use them!

BUT if I can make something for stuff I have lying around and some time and get the same result more or less...then I will do that... ( I have plenty of 12v red/amber leds in my garage. Plus I am a glutton for punishment...) :roll:

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've had mine from the guy in AZ for almost two years and they work perfect. I sent him my mirrors one day, he worked on them the next day and I had them back the next day. I spoke with him on the phone. Great person to deal with.

·
Registered
423 Posts
On my 1500 I had the MUTH mirrors. I went with the Kury on the 1800. Both are great additions to visibility and resultant safety. the Kurys angle out a little bit from the angle of the mirror glass, and I think they might hit the blind spot a little better.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Bought the Muth from Gary in Indiana , not sure if he's still selling but worth a shot...
Glad you were happy with them. I started selling them after I bought a set for myself and just loved them. Plug & play install with no cutting or splicing wires. If memory serves, I think you need a Phillips head screwdriver.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Glad you were happy with them. I started selling them after I bought a set for myself and just loved them. Plug & play install with no cutting or splicing wires. If memory serves, I think you need a Phillips head screwdriver.
Gary, love them. One screw to remove the old ones and plug and play. Could not have been easier. Thanks...:bow:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Correct! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well Gents,
First off, I don't blame anyone for just plopping down a check and installing a product. It doesn't get any simpler than that. But, like another poster stated, not everyone can afford to do that and still be able to ride. So, in an effort to create the same effect, at least they looks the exact same to me anyway, I found a post on here from a gent who came up with the original idea. I PM'd him and got some particulars. Then, I went to work. The LEDs came from ebay. I think I bought a pack of 20 or 25 for about $5.00 or so, maybe more, it was a while ago. I also had to purchase some resistors. I'll have to dig up the specs on them but, they were very small and cheap. I think about maybe, oh, $3-$4 dollars or so for enough to do the job.

Then, I came up with a template made from thin card board. You can experiment using stuff like a cereal box type card board. I just drew out an "arrow" of a dimension that I thought would work well and fit the mirror and, also working with the black plastic mirror backing to see just how things would work out in terms of spacing etc. I cut the template out and placed it on the mirror. It looked good enough for me and, based on the appearance of how they looked from Muth or others, it was pretty darn comparable.

Now, those LEDs, which can be either red or amber, your choice, are 5mm in diameter. So, I picked a drill bit that was couple of thousandths smaller so they'd have sort of a "press fit" type fit. It helps if you have one of those drill bit sets that has a zillion bits in it so you can have a better choice of sizes. But, in the end, when they were all inserted into the holes I drilled, I put a dab of hot glue around each one just for good measure. Now, as you can see in the picture, they're looped, from one to another, to another, to another etc. But, I've got re-check the photo etc. to see just how many and where I put the resistors. Speaking of resistors, again, I've got to check and see which ones I purchased for the correct resistance.

All this is not very hard. Once you figure out which LEDs and resistors to buy, then you're on the home stretch. Drilling the holes is, without a doubt, the critical part in this operation. And, to answer one of your questions, no, you DO NOT SCRAPE ANY OF THE MIRROR SILVER BACKING off. The LED will shine RIGHT THROUGH that silver coating. And, as you can see, when the LEDs are not in operation, that is, no turn signals are being displayed, they are invisible. Now, to answer the critical drilling part, I did use a drill stop but, not the kind of mechanical ones you might be thinking of. All I used was piece of tape. But, I had an advantage some of you may not have. And that is, I used a drill press. And, the drill press has stops that can be set any depth you desire. So, that helped immensely.

Now, once the holes are drilled, I started doing the cutting of the tiny wire and, soldering. I also had the small advantage of having those "helping hands" things that you can get at Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Radio Shack etc. In case you don't know, it's a little heavy block with a couple of alligator clips and a magnifying glass all mounted to it. Those little clips help hold small stuff in place while us blind guys that need the magnifying glass to do the small gauge soldering. And, as you can see also in the pics, I used some really small shrink tubing too. Again, I'll have dig up maybe some more info on this to tell you the brightness of the LEDs and, the resistance of the resistors.

Since the re-organizing of this web site, we've all lost a ton of threads and posts that were back dated from the time of re-organization. All the info was on those threads that I and, the original gent who created them, had in them. I've even forgot what the term is for the brightness of the LEDs. If I went into ebay and started looking for them, I'd most likely remember what it's called. But, you want close to the brightest you can get.

Now, once the project is all done, you can find the turn signal wires in the mirrors and simply do some tests to find out which one is hot and which is the ground. If I recall, I think Honda uses an all green wire for ground, but, with my memory, I'd do some checking on that if I were you. You can simply "T" into those wires with a dab of solder or, come up with a connector of your choice. Again, I forgot what I used. Man it sucks getting old. I apologize for not having all the exact info on the details so, I'll try and dig up that stuff. Hope this helps some.
Scott

1 - 20 of 25 Posts