GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some odd reason, I've noticed that my '09 misfires, or sputters in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear when the throttle is barely open. It happens at operating temperature as well as cold.

I haven't checked the air filter yet, but have one on order to change as I'm coming up on my 16k maintenance interval. I'm also going to change out the plugs.

I've ran a half a can of Seafoam through the system and gone through two more tanks of gas since and the problem still remains. I'm still under warranty and should probably just take it in, but if there are some things I can check on my own before going through the pain and agony of dealing with Honda, I'm game to try.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the idle speed? Maybe an ECM reset would help, it can't hurt.
I forgot to mention, I have done an ECM reset. I'll check the idle speed tomorrow, but there isn't any misfiring at idle. Likewise, rolling on the throttle is smooth with no skipping or misfire. However at just above the closed position, it acts like it doesn't know I'm asking for power. It will misfire, or skip for 2-3 seconds, then it will even out and start the acceleration. I'm no mechanic, but it seems like the throttle position sensor is in a flat spot and/or the injectors aren't being told to squirt gas when they should.
:shrug:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Have a tech (or do it your own self) check your plug wires for a crack in the rubber boots. I had the same symptom and it turned out to be a cracked boot.;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on the plug wires. I'll make a note to check those.

I checked my idle speed today and noted that it was at 800 rpm.

I'm also going to perform another ecm reset, as I think I didn't heed the part about not touching the throttle. I was running the throttle at about 3000 rpm to get the engine warmed faster. This time I will not touch it until I hear the fans kick on. Then I"ll let it run a bit longer then turn it off.

Also, I have not done any work inside the shelter or ignition cover yet. BUT, the previous owner may have, so when I get under the tupperware to replace the air filter and install my risers, I'll need to know where all the vacuum and emissions lines are to make sure they haven't been disturbed. I'm hoping the shop manual I had for my 2008 Goldwing will still work for my '09.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Sounds like the TPS (throttle position sensor) I had the same symptoms as well as others. Unfortunately the top shelter has to come off to check the TPS and in all likelyhood the dealer will not do this test under warranty. If the TPS is faulty then the entire throttle body has to be changed because the TPS is not available seperately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts