GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, lets say you are driving your companies K1500 pickup truck and you have almost no short term memory. You have been sitting waiting for a light behind this:

Plant Automotive tire Boat Automotive lighting Building

Is there going to be anything in that view to maybe remind you that maybe you are not seeing the entire picture?

Such as:
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Hood Helmet Automotive tire

Those white marks on the lid are from someone that was in a brand new K1500 Chevy truck that got anxious and moved forward just before the light changed. I started to go as I realized I had been hit, so I stopped. Then he hit me again!
I did not have the picture on the trunk rack, but I do want to help prevent such a thing from happening again.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Reflection tape maybe on the rear of the trailer

Reactions: T-88

·
Vendor
19,748 Posts
So, lets say you are driving your companies K1500 pickup truck and you have almost no short term memory. You have been sitting waiting for a light behind this:

View attachment 390987

Is there going to be anything in that view to maybe remind you that maybe you are not seeing the entire picture?

Such as:
View attachment 390988

Those white marks on the lid are from someone that was in a brand new K1500 Chevy truck that got anxious and moved forward just before the light changed. I started to go as I realized I had been hit, so I stopped. Then he hit me again!
I did not have the picture on the trunk rack, but I do want to help prevent such a thing from happening again.
That sometimes happens to lower trailers. Another member posted a picture of his Tailwind trailer being run over when his was parked next to a pickup in a motel parking lot. The owner got in, turned his steering wheel sharply to the left to back out, and left tire marks on the side and top of the trailer.

·
Administrator
4,350 Posts
That's happened twice to me at stop lights. Once the driver was in a pickup with a high hood which naturally obstructed his visibility, but it also happened with a driver of a small sedan with a low sloping hood. Neither time was there any damage other than very slight cosmetic damage which mostly buffed out..

There was also the time when I parked at a convenience store and the driver of the pickup to my left got in his truck, backed out without noticing my trailer, and drove his F-150 across the top of my Tailwind. That one DID leave a mark, although again, it turned out to be just cosmetic and was fixed by painting the lid of the Tailwind! Alcohol was definitely involved with this driver, and I was so thankful for the store security cameras!

Glen

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
This is exactly why I added a very bright led lite bar on my Bunkhouse. No help for parking lot situations but sure helps in traffic. I have actually noticed people seem to stay further back from trailer now.

·
Registered
2004 GL1800
383 Posts
I have 4 of the Auxlites strobing led bulbs installed on my bike. I have noticed that if I "strobe" them several times ( on and off the brake handle a few times) as I'm approaching a stop, the cars/trucks behind me tend to stop a little further back.
Perhaps something like that in your trailer lights would help ?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have reflector polls that I put on the back corners of the trailer when I park, but 80+ mph "wind" will just be too harsh on anything more permanent. I have strobe flashing bolt heads on the license plate, but those still end up out of view under a truck hood if they pull up within a few feet of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I was rear ended on a bike (no trailer) stopping at a red light. Also been rear ended at a stop when driving a station wagon, a van, a 3/4 ton 4WD pickup and while towing a car trailer. So long as we are forced to share the roads with self-centered imbeciles, there is no solution. Yes, they are a low percent of the population but these "drivers" run in to fire trucks, school buses and trains. They run over motorcycles without any reservation, hesitation nor remorse.

Lights on both the bike and trailer help as do loud horns.

Firestick (the CB antenna company) makes fiberglass poles in various colors and you can add flags or lights.

One of our riders lashes a pool noodle across his pillion seat and, IIRC, may have done something similar to his trailer.

I have also considered using inflatable boat tow toys lashed to the top. The tow behind toys have reinforced tow/tie off points vs. a common pool toy and are designed for some sort of wind resistance. I've seen hotdogs, alligators, swans, lobsters and other attention getting shapes. They may not last on the interstate but might be worth a try.

Adding a trailer behind your motorcycle requires an additional level of concentration and anticipation. The late Tom Finch published an article on how to park and how to ride to provide the best defense when towing a trailer. Just remember, there is always someone who wants to be in front or go faster, or thinks your lane is better than his lane or is ready to jump the light or doesn't expect you to come to a complete stop (because he never does). ALWAYS.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts

View attachment 390987

Such as:
View attachment 390988

If the truck driver had stopped at the proper distance behind you where he could see the ground under your trailer, he wouldn’t have hit anything. Another bad driver, sorry, but you can’t fix these people, all you can do is shoot them so they don’t reproduce! :oops::p😁

·
Registered
2004 GL1800
383 Posts
If the truck driver had stopped at the proper distance behind you where he could see the ground under your trailer, he wouldn’t have hit anything. Another bad driver, sorry, but you can’t fix these people, all you can do is shoot them so they don’t reproduce! :oops::p😁
Wait, that's an option ???
I've been sorely tempted a few times...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts